Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2023, 07:59 PM   #121
LERD

Update

I had to dig around to find my last post about this. But almost one solid year later, I finally updated my TV. So after being skunked out last year for ordering one, a whole bunch of 2022's are showing up here. I've been here in Texas since December 29th. They still don't have any back home in Ohio, but they have them here. I called back home to my local dealer, about ordering a 23. Could I get a discount, X-Plan etc. etc. He told me maybe I could, but I might not even get one till 24. I guess Ford is delaying the higher trims like Lariat and above. He told me directly, if it was me, I'd jump on one of those. And they go fast. So now I don't have to wait till late this year, or next. It has more options than I needed, but it's finally here. Now we can't wait to tow with it! No, it's not the 7.3l engine. But it's my tow vehicle. We're not full time, but we're using this at least 4-5 months out of the year to tow with. Now it's time to update the 5er. Thanks to all who helped with my decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230211_114620.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	621.3 KB
ID:	42916  
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 08:51 PM   #122
WDPatterson

I see it tows on walls. Does it also tow on the ground?
Old 02-11-2023, 09:47 PM   #123
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
I had to dig around to find my last post about this. But almost one solid year later, I finally updated my TV. So after being skunked out last year for ordering one, a whole bunch of 2022's are showing up here. I've been here in Texas since December 29th. They still don't have any back home in Ohio, but they have them here. I called back home to my local dealer, about ordering a 23. Could I get a discount, X-Plan etc. etc. He told me maybe I could, but I might not even get one till 24. I guess Ford is delaying the higher trims like Lariat and above. He told me directly, if it was me, I'd jump on one of those. And they go fast. So now I don't have to wait till late this year, or next. It has more options than I needed, but it's finally here. Now we can't wait to tow with it! No, it's not the 7.3l engine. But it's my tow vehicle. We're not full time, but we're using this at least 4-5 months out of the year to tow with. Now it's time to update the 5er. Thanks to all who helped with my decision.
Nice, a lot of truck for current 5th wheel. Got plans to upgrade the 5er?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 05:58 PM   #124
LERD

Oh yeah. I didn't get that much truck to keep this camper. It's been good, just need something a bit bigger. Wife is 5'10" and I'm about 6'3". We're both tired of banging our heads on the bedroom ceiling. I'm also semi-retired and doing mobile RV repair at times while traveling. So I need capacity for tools and some parts.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:00 PM   #125
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
I see it tows on walls. Does it also tow on the ground?
I sure hope so. Not sure how to change that
Old 02-12-2023, 07:32 PM   #126
bobbecky

The 7.3 gas engine sounds like a beast, but came across some of these Youtube stories a couple days ago. Here is one as an example.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 07:54 PM   #127
sourdough
Site Team

Well, and there you go. I was a bit hesitant about going back to Fords but that 7.3 sure sounded like it filled the bill....guess not. Maybe Ram will kick up the power a bit on the 6.4. Even if they don't guess that's my next one.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 08:09 PM   #128
JRTJH
Site Team

They said the same things about the Ford 6.7l diesel in 2010 and 2011. Oh, it's just like the 6.4 and the 6.0 diesels. it'll never amount to anything. Ford can't build a decent engine any more, especially a diesel...

Well, here we are, 13 years later and the 6.7 Ford diesel is arguably the best diesel on the market, comparable to Cummins 6.7 or, some say even more reliable when you consider the entire drive train...

So, with a few (haven't seen any statistical data, just "breaking youtube videos") that fail, I'd be very interested in seeing some numbers to go along with the criticisms on youtube.... I definitely do NOT intend to start any "brand wars" but just a quick search on youtube and here's the same "gonna fail you for sure" that involves a Cummins diesel with two holes blown in the block... They call it the "worst diesel yet"...

Here's a website that discusses the problems seen in the 7.3L gas engine: https://getjerry.com/insights/ford-7...d-7-3-problems

Just one quote from that article, the bolded part was highlighted by me, not the article writer, but they are his words, not mine:

"There have been some problems with the wiring harness of the spark plugs. So much so that there have been reported cases of misfires and even no-start situations.

Luckily, this appeared early on and has been corrected in the manufacturing process. Dealerships will fix this issue, or you can do it yourself with a $30 part.

As for the isolated issues, there have been a few reports of stuck lifters and cylinder scoring. However, these issues are rare. A handful of engines have also experienced catastrophic failure, but, again, this is incredibly rare. "

Anybody have any ideas on failure rates, number of "Godzilla engines that are done for" ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tow, towing