Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2022, 08:49 AM   #21
Domino3665

First, I cannot believe you ever towed the 30’ trailer with 1/2 ton truck. What, the family station wagon was in the shop?

If the your kids want to bring their friends, they want to spend more time with them and less time with you. They are growing up. Fact.
Here’s what next. They will want their OWN place to hang out.
Here is my long range suggestion.
A one ton, four door TRUCK with a small camper on the bed. It’s a place for the kids to travel and hang with their friends and you can see them at mealtimes…maybe.
The family dynamics are changing. I hate to see you throw a bunch of money into a fix that only lasts for one season.
Good luck. Hope everything works out. ��
Domino3665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 09:37 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino3665 View Post
First, I cannot believe you ever towed the 30’ trailer with 1/2 ton truck. What, the family station wagon was in the shop?

If the your kids want to bring their friends, they want to spend more time with them and less time with you. They are growing up. Fact.
Here’s what next. They will want their OWN place to hang out.
Here is my long range suggestion.
A one ton, four door TRUCK with a small camper on the bed. It’s a place for the kids to travel and hang with their friends and you can see them at mealtimes…maybe.
The family dynamics are changing. I hate to see you throw a bunch of money into a fix that only lasts for one season.
Good luck. Hope everything works out. ��
That's why we "started" with a tent to pitch under the awning. Mama could still hear what was going on outside, watch the activities but the kids "had their freedom from parental supervision"... Later that same year/camping season, the "youthful demands" fostered two tents under the awning... Our daughter was 7 years older than her brother and she/her friends "needed their time away from that younger brother... <sigh> Oh the tribulations of growing up in the "frontier campgrounds"... but they all got to see much of this great country of ours, even though they didn't want parents around to "spoil their fun"..

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 02:14 PM   #23
mjsibe

Tow vehicle.

For larger families look into Chevy Express or GMC Savanah.
2500 or 3500 passenger vans with the 6.0 or newer 6.2 V8's

I tow a Passport 3100 rk
Payload on my 2014 is 3410 lbs.
More than enough & reserves.
Tong weight is around 1000 lbs.
Leaving 2410 for stuff people & dogs
Mine is the standard wheel base 12 passenger.
We leave the rear seat out for cargo space .
It's an option for bigger family's.
Rear seat out 8 passenger.
mjsibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 05:59 PM   #24
pawpaw

Using a '21 FX4 Expedition with the max towing package to pull a '22 Cougar 25RDS that can gross out at 8800 lbs. Just wife and I so we pack lightly and camper probably weighs no more than 7800 lbs loaded. Hitch weight is the sore point and probably hovering around the 1K pound mark. Truck rated for 9200 lbs towing and has a payload of 1769 lbs. Running 10 ply BFG KO2's @60 psi when towing. 4 point Equalizer WDH set to throw a little more weight on the front axle. Have been using the rig for short trips of 100 to 200 miles and its been doing better than expected. The Expedition in my opinion would do great with a travel trailer in the 5 to 6K pound gross weight range. Previous tow vehicle was a F350 dually but this Expedition is heads and tails better for a daily driver and long trip vehicle without a trailer hooked up.

Tags
keystone, passport