Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2022, 10:24 AM   #1
flybouy
Site Team

Delaware Tolls on RT1

So here goes:

I get the mail yesterday and there's a letter from DE Dept. Transportation. It's a toll violation....from July 9, 2022 for drum roll please... 25 cents! Cost to pay this "Violation"? $50.25 If not paid by 10/14/2022 (that's 11 days folks) then they add ANOTHER $87.50! Just can't make this stuff up.

So I look at my EZPass statement and indeed it was charged to and paid by my account. So I copy that and insert the info for an appeal. I also included a letter asking who to submit my expenses to for clearing up their mistake. I don't expect a reply but I felt like Jean Valjean in Les Misérables. I doubt Delaware penalizes SERIOUS law breakers for that amount. If we would have been on the road and seen this letter for 2 weeks I think I'd have heart attack. I feel like taping a quarter to the letter and telling them to stick it sideways somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DELTOLL1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	41893   Click image for larger version

Name:	DELTOLL2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	41894  
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:34 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Those things are ripoffs and simply to make money by hook or crook. I received one from the NTTA (North Texas Toll Association?) a few years back. They were constructing some new highways in Dallas and I was diverter apparently onto a short stretch of "tollway" with cameras, maybe a mile. No signs, no warnings...nothing. Several months later I got a bill from them and like yours the original fee was something like 40-50 cents. The bill I received was 3 months in arrears ( had never seen it) and I was told to pay like $80 to make it right due to late fees and penalties. If not I would be sent to the TX Dept. of Public Safety to have my license suspended. I blew a gasket!

In a terrible mood I called them and it was resolved with the small charge being waived. Their solution for future situations? I needed to start an account with NTTA, deposit money in it and they would "hold" it in the event I passed through there again. I sent them $50 since my son had moved to a location that required me to pass on that highway. He then moved outside of the metroplex area before I passed on any of their tollways again. Your post just reminded me that they still have my money. Strictly a money making operation used to fleece innocent people.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:18 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

I recall when I lived in the B-W Corridor that Delaware used to put a highway patrol car in the median with a dummy in it to try and slow drivers down. Guess once you have seen the phony LEO presence the effectiveness probably went down a bit.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote