Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2021, 06:20 AM   #1
JWS

Roof question

Checking the roof on my 2018 Cougar I found a soft spot on the slide out roof. It’s a soft spongy spot not leaking yet. Can anyone tell me what caused this? Also how to repair it right? Camper is stored under carport type roof. Area in question is pushed up at slide out seal when closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A2A77412-7A1C-40DC-A125-413B22B4D326.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	36491  
JWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:41 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
Checking the roof on my 2018 Cougar I found a soft spot on the slide out roof. It’s a soft spongy spot not leaking yet. Can anyone tell me what caused this? Also how to repair it right? Camper is stored under carport type roof. Area in question is pushed up at slide out seal when closed.
From what it looks like from that photo the soft spot was caused by water intrusion from that bubbled spot shown. That spot needs to be cleaned & recaulked ASAP.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:17 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

In addition to cleaning and resealing (use DICOR non-leveling on a sloped surface).... You also need to "urgently address" the aluminum gutter/edge trim vinyl insert.... If you look at the photo, every (EVERY) screw head has punctured the vinyl insert trim. It's more than "just a pretty cover to hide the screws"... That vinyl insert is a "last chance seal" against water intrustion down the screw threads into the trailer frame.

I'd suggest removing the vinyl trim insert, removing each screw (one at a time) and putting some proflex or sikaflex or even non-leveling DICOR sealant (from your roof repair) on the threads and reinstalling each screw. Pay close attention to rust on the screws as you remove them. Any rust under the head or on the threads is a "clear indication of water penetration in that area"....

Finish the job with a new strip of vinyl trim insert, fold the ends under, after trimming them in a "triangular pattern and secure them with a "screw through the insert and the aluminum gutter molding.

There are "trim end caps" that you can buy, but they usually aren't used on gutter molding.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:12 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Just to add a bit; once you've made that insert and screw repair you might do as I do; first, keep that vinyl in good shape..supple and flexible. At least a couple times a year I just run my finger down the trim depressing it, those screws like to back out over time and if you don't address them in a timely manner you will have them pushing through that trim like you have. It's much easier for them to do that if that vinyl is brittle - and then the leaks begin.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:41 PM   #5
JWS

. You also need to "urgently address" the aluminum gutter/edge trim vinyl insert.... If you look at the photo, every (EVERY) screw head has punctured the vinyl insert trim. It's more than "just a pretty cover to hide the screws"...

You know I didn’t even notice the screw heads grinning until I posted this. I knew your sharp eyes would see them anyway and advise a repair.
Thanks for the advice and I will be making repairs soon.
Back to the soft spot. Do I need to cut this out and patch if so how far out do I overlap. Maybe run a strip entire length of the slide where the seal lands.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:55 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

If that bad spot is on the slide roof, that’s one of the only times I would clean the roof real good and run a strip of eternabond the entire length. If you use Dicor, it takes forever to get cured enough for the sweeper seal to run over it without making a big mess.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:07 AM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If that bad spot is on the slide roof, that’s one of the only times I would clean the roof real good and run a strip of eternabond the entire length. If you use Dicor, it takes forever to get cured enough for the sweeper seal to run over it without making a big mess.
I agree with Chuckster on this, that looks like the seam may have opened just a bit. The OP states it is spongy in that area, was he refering to the roofing material, or the waferboard substrate?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:17 AM   #8
JWS

The waferboard feels firm, only the roof material is spongy. I guess that is a seam there but can’t see a separation by pushing the bubble around.

Tags
roof