Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2021, 05:02 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
And I’m not saying that two nightstands will cause a need for new axles or tires…I just think they probably have a target weight for a particular trailer and a list of necessary items and a list of nice extras. When the weights don’t allow they start taking things off the extras list or have to reduce weight in building material dimensions or quality. Probably also why the mattress they supply weighs next to nothing..it’s like the space program..everything must be able to fit inside the weight restraints..pin weight probably factors in as well. If it’s 1% over what they spec then something has to go

Now I guess the pitchforks will be turned towards me lol
Now that can’t be it. So what’s another thousand pounds or so? I’m sure if you check with the “experts” in the sales dept of either the truck or RV dealership they would “confirm” that sure it’ll pull it, “no problem “.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:26 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
And I’m not saying that two nightstands will cause a need for new axles or tires…I just think they probably have a target weight for a particular trailer and a list of necessary items and a list of nice extras. When the weights don’t allow they start taking things off the extras list or have to reduce weight in building material dimensions or quality. Probably also why the mattress they supply weighs next to nothing..it’s like the space program..everything must be able to fit inside the weight restraints..pin weight probably factors in as well. If it’s 1% over what they spec then something has to go

Now I guess the pitchforks will be turned towards me lol
No pitchforks from me. Your analysis is probably the "main motivation" for the way RV's are built... Start with a concept, then try to reduce those ideas to reality, put the "concept build" on the scales and determine what has to go and what will increase sales. Remove the things that won't sell units to the "average buyer" or things that the "average buyer won't notice until it's too late to return the RV..... (nah, RV companies wouldn't do that, or would they???)

Once the weight is within acceptable standards and the balance produces a pin weight that's acceptable, send it to the interior designers, who choose colors that most people will "ohh and ahh" over on the showroom floor.... Then, add up the cost of all the "lowest bidder components", establish a MSRP and profit margin, then start building trailers....

There's a reason all the RV manufacturers went from EPDM (heavier rubber roof material) to TPO (lighter plastic roof material) and it wasn't because of reliability or durability, rather it was because they could reduce roof weight by enough pounds to add a bigger television without having to pay more for the roof..... Same with "luan sandwich flooring" until they started falling apart, now they've found "Hyper-Deck flooring", and the additional 50 pounds just excluded "smart TV's" from the option list in the tradeoff both is weight and cost per unit.....

Evolution of RV's: A balance game between cost, weight and customer acceptance.... Nowhere is "functionality" a prime consideration.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:00 AM   #23
rlh1957

Yes adding width to certain designs that bed is part of slide increases slide width size, weight and cuts into other parts. They only have so much frame to build on, with so much weight allowed. Otherwise we end up with a rig with only a few hundred pounds usable payload. It is an engineering puzzle to solve. Maybe if all the designers and engineers had to live in one for 6 months some changes would come.
Then you have to get it past the bean counters! They would have us in folding lawn chairs to save a buck!
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:06 AM   #24
rlh1957

My solution is modify things to suit my needs.
I like to make it my own and my wife likes to make changes!

No Camper Rig will ever be perfect unless someone
starts to manufacture from frame up and you design and cherry-pick everything what you want… on your budget of-course.
Oh did you calculate that you’ll need the frame and axles rated for that weight?
Did you factor in what tow vehicle you’ll need to haul your half million dollar creation?
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:47 AM   #25
Cascadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I love these fun discussions!! About bed night stands no less!

I'll put a different view on it;

Our trailer came with a king bed AND the little night tables on the sides - we didn't/don't like them, need them or use them. Removed the OE king bed and put in a nice aftermarket residential queen. Here's the rub; if folks are like us the OE mattress in an RV, no matter how "plush" they say it is.....isn't, and we replace them. Whoops! That's a no go in our layout if you went back with a nicer, taller king mattress. The side tables wouldn't let you put a mattress in that was 6" thicker so they would have to be removed. I and many others remove the king bed and put the residential queen in to gain room to move around the bed. In the end the bedside tables were nothing but a nuisance that DW worked around to add cushioning etc. at the head of the bed so we could "spread" out if we wanted to.:
We did the same. We've always slept on a queen so we declined the king size mattress and bought a new comfy mattress. We have what I would call window sills...plenty of room on the ledge for a water bottle and glasses. The dilemma for me was constantly hitting my thigh on that corner of the platform left exposed...so I got out the jigsaw and rounded it.
My question...how do you manage the extra platform? Did you trim it?
I love our bedroom with one exception...the lights are like lasers! 😳Did you switch those out?
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:06 AM   #26
Ellen

We have an RV King mattress with small “bedside tables”. I didn’t realize how aerobic bed-making would be. The top of the mattress is wedged between the “tables” with absolutely no room for bedding. Of course, there is almost no room around the bed so moving the mattress around to get to the corners isn’t much use. I’m getting older and less flexible by the hour so if it’s time to change the bedding I consider it my activity for the day! Need to recover in my zero gravity chair with two Shih Tzus on my lap! The dogs do like the larger bed at night! Spoiled little beasties.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:30 AM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadia View Post
We did the same. We've always slept on a queen so we declined the king size mattress and bought a new comfy mattress. We have what I would call window sills...plenty of room on the ledge for a water bottle and glasses. The dilemma for me was constantly hitting my thigh on that corner of the platform left exposed...so I got out the jigsaw and rounded it.
My question...how do you manage the extra platform? Did you trim it?
I love our bedroom with one exception...the lights are like lasers! 😳Did you switch those out?

We cut the platform down to fit a queen mattress instead of a king so don't have any corners sticking out to hit. I rounded them anyway. Makes it much nicer (in our opinion) moving the mattress around.

As far as the lights, we have 6 in the bedroom not counting the closet or the wash room. I spent many years in RVs with yellowish/dim lights (like a coleman lantern) and was very happy when the LEDs came out. The lights are a bit bright but I prefer that over being dim and not being able to see well. I don't know what kind of light fixture you have but you might be able to just replace the lamp in it to a different light color.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:24 PM   #28
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
When you look at floorplans, it's glaringly obvious that a lot of models (from all manufacturers) that offer king beds in the in-line orientation...
Don't you mean except for Keystone?

I can only speak for the Cougar series. Mine is as you say yours is (if I understand correctly). King bed inline, with nightstands on both sides, and closets over the nightstands that do NOT come clear down on top of the nightstand.

I have plenty of room for my ResMed CPAP, cellphone, etc.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:05 PM   #29
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As RVs continue to evolve, and they will, I hope they begin to offer "options" like the bedside tables and other amenities that a person (or dealer) can order instead of the one size fits all setups or "packages" that seem to become mandatory and contain all kinds of things. Maybe they will even start to offer quality control.....oops! Sorry, I must have drifted off for a moment.
The wife and I love our rig, but we laughed that we only needed to add more headroom in the bedroom. Yup, I'm around 6'3" and I tag it often. But I told her I'm not sure I can make that modification. I would like to find a newer rig with the same back window and individual chairs instead of a couch. We just spent a week right on the water. We just spun the chairs around and took it all in. I would like to find one like that again. Just a bit bigger, with better tank capacities.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:50 AM   #30
notanlines

We did exactly as Danny did. We are simply not king-size bed people. We had the base and trim cut down to queen size (it's nice having a Florida friend who was a cabinet maker), threw that POS original mattress in the trash and bought a new real mattress. We now have room to change sheets, which I just did 15 minutes ago. I believe DW is taking this knee surgery thing too far.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed