Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
Richard6959

Oh hail!!!!

Two nights ago we got hit hard in Colorado Springs. With up to 2" hail coming down it went through 3 vents and the bathroom skylight. We had hail coming in bouncing around for 30 minutes before it stopped. Took out my wifi ranger mounted on the roof, the antenna, knocked off my tail lights and marker lights, chewed up the exposed edge of the awning, and left the rubberized roof with dents along the edge of the roof where it curves down the side. Now much of it is caved in.

I can fix most of it myself, but does anyone have any experience with getting the roof fixed? How would this be done?
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
jsmith948

Wow - that's some big hail. Sort of like dropping golf balls out of an airliner.
20 ft per second per second. sorry to hear of the damage. The vent covers are easy/cheap to change, the skylight shouldn't be hard ( I don't know about the cost). The light lenses will be easy as well and relatively inexpensive.
I don't know about the roof damage. I would have thought the rubber membrane to be pretty resilient but if the underlayment is damaged, that could get expensive. Seems your best bet would be to contact your insurance company. That's why we have insurance. Good luck and keep us posted. i'm sure there will be folks on here that have a resolution for your issue. Your post caught my attention as we are going through Colorado late Aug early Sept.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #3
bsmith0404

We lost our first 5er to hail in WY. The insurance had specific repair shops that were approved for repairs. If I used their shops, the repairs were guaranteed for life. The closet authorized shop to Cheyenne was actually in Denver, Turned out that the damage exceeded $15k and was more than 75% of RV value so they totaled it. I was amazed at everything the shop said needed to be repaired, stuff I never thought of and couldn't see with the naked eye, but they priced it to make sure everything was repaired correctly. You may want to find an good RV repair shop to make sure.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
14george

Know how you feel had hail damage to house,camper and truck. Hail was about the size of a baseball
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	10965  
Old 07-31-2016, 07:12 PM   #5
Richard6959

SO I took a closer look today. The rounded metal along the length of the roof edge is crushed and pulled loos to the edge is sticking up pulling the membrane with it. I crawled along the roof and it not smooth at all, its very wave and bumpy, although you cant tell by looking at it because the rubber is pulled tight.

What is the material under the rubber membrane called and how expensive is it?

Surprisingly, the sides help up just fine. I can't see any damage at all. However, the rear end is buckling some and wavy. All the rear lights got knocked off.

USAA is sending a local shop out to do an appraisal but it will be a couple of weeks.

I'm guessing its a $10-$15K claim. Consider list was $40K and we paid $28K, I'm guessing it wont be anywhere close to totaled.
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote