Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2023, 05:59 PM   #1
Wasatch_Oz

FIXED! Fridge only on LP, not Shore power

I bought a 2019 Keystone Bullet as NOS in 2020.

The Dometic refrigerator has only used it when propane was hooked up, even when plugged into shore power. I assumed it was running on electricity when it was plugged in. Never even bothered checking.

Then last fall, I ran out of propane --while plugged into power. And the fridge warmed up. Hmm...

Checking... yeah. I could NOT get it to work off of shore power. I checked the breakers... all good. No easy fix. I thought I'd dive into it when I had some time to go crazy with my multimeter, etc. Today was the day.

I took the panel off.
Do you see it?

A little closer...

Yes. I haven't tested my fix yet. But I have a high-level of confidence that it might work just fine, now.
Wasatch_Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 06:51 PM   #2
locomech

Yeah, the gozinta is missing . Da plug dat goes inta da outlet must have been removed for some reason. Maybe more to the problem than meets the eye. I hope it all checks out ok for you. Good find.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 06:54 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I hope it was as simple as plugging it in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:12 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

I want the job of the guy who does that spray filler stuff. That stuff can make an awesome mess in seconds! The plug in the picture btw... Is this a Dometic refrigerator? They have lights on the top panel that indicate if the fridge is working as it should on shore power.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 06:33 AM   #5
Wasatch_Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I want the job of the guy who does that spray filler stuff. That stuff can make an awesome mess in seconds! The plug in the picture btw... Is this a Dometic refrigerator? They have lights on the top panel that indicate if the fridge is working as it should on shore power.
So true.

Yeah, it is a Dometic. Since it's always worked (on propane) I never gave it any thought. I put it on "auto" and I assumed it was using shore power when it was plugged in. It was only after I ran out of propane that I looked at the lights and was pressing buttons that I realized it wasn't working on 120v. So you're right. If you take the time to look at the lights, it is easy to see.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:37 AM   #6
Wasatch_Oz

Y'all are right, that I shouldn't assume that it was accidently left unplugged from the factory. There is some hopeful/wishful thinking around it.

Because of the way the plug was hiding behind the tube, it was easy to overlook. So fingers crossed it was just missed when it was built.

I'll get back home in a few hours and plug it in when I start loading it up, and find out for sure. I'll drop in another update, for fun.
Old 05-27-2023, 10:51 AM   #7
Wasatch_Oz

Happy to report the fridge works great on 120!
Old 05-27-2023, 11:22 AM   #8
LHaven

Ha ha! I did this to my ownself while trying to debug my furnace problem, and forget to replug it. Good times!
Old 05-27-2023, 03:04 PM   #9
Ramtop

That was way too easy of fix. Glad to hear that it was easy and worked.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:54 AM   #10
MrRobalo

I found out in the first 2 trips my fridge stays a lot cooler on propane. However it still wasn’t cold enough on 110. So i got 2 computer fans 12 volt and put one on outside top vent to take out the hot air in the compartment. The other I put inside the fridge shooting at the fins in back. 2 lighted mini push switches and ran the wires through the drain tube. WORKS FANTASTIC fans n switches on amazon.

Tags
fridge, power