Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
skids

Furnace with air conditioner covered?

I have a Bullet 248RKS. The AC shroud has a cover on it for winter. The system is ducted. I turned on the furnace and it was not getting hot but it was blowing out of the ducts. I went outside and checked the shroud and it was “sucked in.” So, is it not proper to run the furnace with the AC shroud covered???
Old 10-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

What style thermostat? If you have a "manual" stat with a fan switch that says "on" or "high" and "low" and "off" that controls the air conditioner fan and should be in the "off" position when you switch from "cool" to "heat".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
What style thermostat? If you have a "manual" stat with a fan switch that says "on" or "high" and "low" and "off" that controls the air conditioner fan and should be in the "off" position when you switch from "cool" to "heat".
It is a green touch screen and it has heat set point (62F) and air conditioning set point (75F) and yes also fan speed was set to High. I will set fan speed to off if it has that setting and try the heat again.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #4
nied

I have a 248. The AC vents through the ceiling while the furnace vents from floor registers. Only one can operate at a time.
nied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
skids

Flybouy, you hit the nail on the head. The fan shown on the thermostat needs to be off when running the furnace. Yes Nied, the cold air is through the ceiling vents and the furnace through the lower ones.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:30 AM   #6
Schbobby

I got the In-Control system in my 2019 Cougar! Turned on heat this morning due to waking up to 40’s outside. Turned to Heat, Gas, Fan off and got Heat, gas fan on! Seems the system will run the fan as the heater is on in mine as well.
Schbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:14 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

That's correct. The '"fan" control only controls the fan on the air conditioner. The camper's heat and air conditioner are 2 separate pieces of equipment. I guess if you have the heat stripin the a/c the fan should be in the "off" position.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #8
6.2 Superduty

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Flybouy, you hit the nail on the head. The fan shown on the thermostat needs to be off when running the furnace. Yes Nied, the cold air is through the ceiling vents and the furnace through the lower ones.
I have a 2018 bullet 269rls that has a touch screen thermostat. Every bullet I have seen made after 2018 has the same thermostat. The fan settings are high ,low and auto. To operate furnace it is set to auto. If yours has an fan off setting it is different from everything I have seen
I hope it is a new model to update the troublesome thermostat previously used. Florissant Mo or Co?
6.2 Superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #9
skids

It is Florissant, Colorado. As I think back, I thought the fan setting was touched repeatedly until nothing showed (off?) but I could be wrong about that. I do know that neither the high or low settings were wanted for winter air movement!
Old 10-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

I think it may be "auto" 'high" 'low", point is if it's in "high" or "low" mode it's in a manual, always on state regardless of whether it's set for heat or cool. In auto mode the fan will only run if in cooling mode and the unit is calling for the compressor to run.
At least that's how most of them are set up that I'm familiar with.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:24 AM   #11
Schbobby

When I put the fan into Auto on my 2019 Cougar the heat vents were on and the AC fan was off!
Schbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:28 PM   #12
Frosty46

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I have a Bullet 248RKS. The AC shroud has a cover on it for winter. The system is ducted. I turned on the furnace and it was not getting hot but it was blowing out of the ducts. I went outside and checked the shroud and it was “sucked in.” So, is it not proper to run the furnace with the AC shroud covered???
The AC and the onboard furnace share few aspects. The blower for the furnace forces air though the ducting system in your trailer. To use your furnace raise the t-stat set point to your wished for temp. fan switch in auto and all is well. No need to turn off your ac/t-stat blower switch for furnace use. Now as to your "covering" your AC rooftop unit---very, very bad idea in the first place-----open invitation to rodents in the extreme!
Frosty46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:14 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty46 View Post
The AC and the onboard furnace share few aspects. The blower for the furnace forces air though the ducting system in your trailer. To use your furnace raise the t-stat set point to your wished for temp. fan switch in auto and all is well. No need to turn off your ac/t-stat blower switch for furnace use. Now as to your "covering" your AC rooftop unit---very, very bad idea in the first place-----open invitation to rodents in the extreme!
That's a new one for me!
Never ever heard of any critter gaining access through the rooftop ac, but guess stranger things have happened.
Have met several that will not leave the stinky slinky connected for rear of critters crawling from the sewer into the RV. Have yet to figure what kind of critters or other than into the tank where they'd go, baby alligators I guess????
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:11 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

The ac shroud cover can become a heaven mice. I've seen it happen in the storage lots I've used over the years. It'
s not so much of them getting into the trailer as it is them nesting and chewing the wire insulation. They can creat total havoc on wiring.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

If you think about it, it's much more "comfortable" camping in a tent rather than camping outdoors in the rain... Mice are, I'm sure, also inclined to take up residence in a "nice toasty, warm tent rather than in the "next door trailer's A/C shroud that's filled with slots and holes and doesn't block the wind or rain"....

It's not so much about "using the A/C as an entry point" as it is about "the A/C tent makes a perfect place to spend the winter and destroy the wiring, foam insulation and possibly store enough "food reserves" to keep them wet and increase corrosion from the "wet food stores"... Not to mention the "overall, general mess" they make "under the tent and in the squirrel cage blower assembly as they gnaw on the soy based insulation in the motor windings, all while toasty warm in their "human provided tent".........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:37 PM   #16
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Turn the breaker off!
We leave our TT in a covered storage with a 20 amp circuit for battery maintenance. I always open the breaker for the A/C here. Reason? what if the goofy electronic thermostat were to malfunction?
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, cover, furnace