Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2023, 03:13 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Winterizing - the PITS

Some may have read a previous post or two I've made about my sick puppy. Despite all that I have kept the trailer ready to go...waiting for me. With her situation we can't go too far but I was determined that I could at least make a 4 hour trip, then when that was obviously impossible I was insistent we could make a 2 hour trip, then a 1 hr......she can't do it.

For the first time in 14 years I winterized my trailer today and used the "pink stuff". Haven't been here for winter in so long that I was worried about just blowing it out. Now it's sitting out there on our property next door; it beckons me, she flashes that "let's go" smile and I keep wanting to fire the truck up....but we can't. Kind of a sad thing but puppy being able to get around here at the house and be near her doctors makes all the difference. If tomorrow's nice maybe I'll be able to wash it prior to the freezing weather coming this weekend then I'll put it to sleep at the RV barn till next spring.....I can't believe I just said that.

Oh, I was worried about the ice maker and washing machine - piece of cake.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 04:24 PM   #2
Chris P

So whats up with the pup ?
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 04:56 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I've posted about it before and hope no one gets upset. She found me 13 1/2 years ago starving and with all kinds of things done to her by some sick person. We have raised her and from the night I took her in she is locked on me as her "person". We've been that way all her life.

She contracted cancer about 3 years ago in one leg. Doc said if it's cancer this is the one to have....but to cure it you need to cut her leg off or maybe radiation "might" help (at $11k) - and it will continue to grow, you can't stop it. We didn't, and won't, cut her leg off. She broke the left rear leg CCL and at her age they said it will heal; don't do surgery. Then she broke her right rear leg CCL compensating for the other leg; same story. Then she got a spreading cancer in her left rear leg. Then 2 growths on her stomach and one in her groin. She's got some sort of neurological issue I blame on Simparica that makes her just freeze and lose balance. Her liver....the list goes on.

Anyway, I didn't mean to post such a long list of "stuff" and I know others love their pups and have issues as well. I have done, and will do, anything to make her life happy.....just feeling a little sorry for myself I guess - pretty selfish in retrospect.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 04:51 AM   #4
dutchmensport

Even if you've winterized, you can still sleep in the camper and hang out there, even on your own property. We live in ours until outside temps get to about 10 degrees or we run through a 30 pound propane tank for heat in less than 48 hours. When that happens, we retreat back into the house.

We use a port-a-potty and simply dump it down the toilet in the house every morning and give it a quick flush if the camper has been winterized. Then take it back out for the next night.

Out of the entire 365 days of the year, we spend (maybe) 20 nights a year actually in the house (IF) we are not in South Carolina, Georgia, or Florida over those cold days.

This year, we'll be in Louisiana, January, February, and March. Hopefully, we'll get out of Indiana before the sub zero weather hits!

So, since the camper is parked at your home, why not enjoy it there, too.

Sorry about your doggie. We lost one of ours earlier this year because of a brain infection. $5000 and the little guy still died. He is missed greatly.

Tags
winter, winterizing