Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2020, 07:33 AM   #1
jpmatx

"Exterior Value Package" and "Interior Package"

I have a dealer quote that lists these packages over & above MSRP for a Passport GT, implying they're "upgrades". What's included in these packages that isn't standard equipment?
jpmatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Someone might be able to tell you specifically but I've looked at google and Keystone and they just use the terminology but can't find the specifics.

I could be wrong but Keystone used to list the packages and their contents then it would say mandatory beside most of them indicating they were going to be on the unit anyway.

The Keystone website lists all if the features for interior, exterior etc. but lists nothing as "optional". The only options are size of AC (15k), larger power service (50A) and furniture upgrades. If you have any of those they could be part of a package but I figure they would be standalone line items. Maybe the dealer could expound, or one of our members. Here is a link to the Keystone website and details for a Passport GT. You did not list a model so I just picked one. You can open all the boxes for interior, exterior etc. to see the details;

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:58 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If you go to the Keystone website and click on the Cougar Half Ton "festures and options" link, you'll find several "option packages". Some are "mandatory packages" (meaning every trailer is built with them) and some are "optional packages" (meaning you can choose whether to order a trailer with/without that package). Often dealerships will "spec a trailer" with optional packages that they think will make the trailer more attractive to their customers or that they can sell the trailer faster with those optional packages in the trailer.
https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...tures-options/

Passport typically uses a "different marketing strategy" and all trailers are built with the same "equipment as standard" with no "optional packages" and only a limited number of "optional items". Things like dinette vs free standing table, 13.5 K A/C vs 15 K A/C. Everything else is "included in the standard purchase order"...
https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...tures-options/

By clicking on the two links above, you can see the "different marketing strategy" used by Cougar and Passport.

It sounds to me like your dealer "might be using a different "marketing strategy" to increase the price of the trailer by "adding standard items to the MSRP" and "intermixing Cougar sales strategy with Passport sales strategy"...

Sort of like "mixing oil and water" to create more volume even though they aren't intended to be mixed......

I'd proceed with caution.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:40 AM   #4
travelin texans

Same sales gimmick as "half ton towable", "artic, polar or 4 season package", "max tow weights", "rv dry weight" & a dozen other cute titles that mean ABSOLUTELY nothing but more $$$$ from you to them.
Best advice is what you're doing now!!! Find out all you can from those with experience before you buy & don't pay much attention to their sales pitches or much of anything the salesman tells you.
Do your own homework BEFORE you buy & don't sign anything til it's to YOUR satisfaction.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
Customer1

Can't the dealer tell You what it is?

Honestly it sounds like a dealer added profit maker like Scotchguard on the fabric and wax outside.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:16 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
Can't the dealer tell You what it is?

Honestly it sounds like a dealer added profit maker like Scotchguard on the fabric and wax outside.
Exactly... Use the descriptions from the Cougar Half Ton "value packages" and print them on the "window sticker" for the Passport that has all those items as standard equipment. List them as $1400 each for a $2800 "optional equipment charge"... Then "discount them $2000 (to move the trailer) claiming that it's the last one and needs a home.... The purchaser feels he "stole the trailer" and the dealership "chalks up an extra $800 over and above what everyone else is selling them for.... A win for the dealership and a "pipe dream win" for the customer who just got screwed out of almost a thousand bucks.....

ADDED: There is no window sticker and no MSRP, so the dealerships "create their own invoice" for each trailer. So, adding "options and packages" is very VERY easy to do... Just put it on a piece of paper and tape it to the galley counter... If it looks official, nobody questions its validity....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-20-2020, 05:43 PM   #7
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
...There is no window sticker and no MSRP, so the dealerships "create their own invoice" for each trailer. So, adding "options and packages" is very VERY easy to do. Just put it on a piece of paper and tape it to the galley counter. If it looks official, nobody questions its validity.
You are right as far as you went, but there is a build sheet that shows everything on the trailer when it left the factory. Anything not on the build sheet is dealer added.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:50 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
You are right as far as you went, but there is a build sheet that shows everything on the trailer when it left the factory. Anything not on the build sheet is dealer added.

Depending on dealer, who/where, that "build" sheet can be elusive anymore. Used to be they were right there, now I see dealer sheets with their abbreviated, annotated, list of what is and "their" costs.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:32 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Here's the actual build sheet from a 2011 Springdale 242FWRL. Note that only a few of the appliances are listed, NONE of the steps, hand rails, aluminum wheels, extra insulation, polar package, vent fans, exterior lights or other items that typically make up the "value added packages" are listed on any build sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SPRINGDALE BUILD SHEET.pdf (112.6 KB, 178 views)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #10
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmatx View Post
I have a dealer quote that lists these packages over & above MSRP for a Passport GT, implying they're "upgrades". What's included in these packages that isn't standard equipment?
Those are 100% dealer extras and have 0% to do with Keystone. The interior package is a fabric scotchguard application and also covers things like fading and maybe rips/tears, matching, etc. The exterior package is similar with a coating applied and guarantee against fading. If you are seriously thinking of it, might as well ask them to sell you a tire & wheel package and a 7 year extended warranty too. They “offered” me Maxxgard and once I read it, I said no thanks. $1,395 to keep my decals from fading and to protect all the carpet in my trailer (about 4 sf).

It’s all just snake oil to most of us, but someone, somewhere will swear by it and tell you it’s the best thing since indoor plumbing.
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

I did not think about those "packages" you mentioned as being a dealer add per se. If that is indeed the case beware. If they start talking about "interior protection packages", "exterior protection packages" etc. stop them in their tracks. Then I would ask for specifics on the plan, who is offering it (underwriting) and most importantly read the fine print. They won't do, or cover, what they say they will. If it's MetroTech Automotive it's not worth a penny - they're a chemical company and all they offer as follow up is more "chemical" that they spray on everything in the first place. And, if like our place, while telling you the virtues of the package they will stress repeatedly that it is "non refundable". Well, I can assure you it is so be aware and don't pay for it if you don't want it and if that is what they are doing.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:43 PM   #12
notanlines

Remember that phrase "Bogus as a football bat?" It was coined to describe all the interior and exterior spray-on protection programs. Avoid them like sales tax.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #13
rlh1957

Correct just as you say!

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:35 AM   #14
rlh1957

You are correct.
These are options (packages) put on by manf to inflate the margins the dealers have to play with and negotiate down from. You get a great deal (sic) and dealer still makes their mark.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote