Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2020, 05:46 PM   #41
Eric363

John, I will look into it. Thanks!

Eric363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:30 AM   #42
pstltaz

As a side note. You might be surprised what keystone may warranty. I had a leak issue 7 months out of warranty. After some bitching and complaining they covered the repair and replaced the carpet also. I've found that the first person you talk to on the phone can't/ won't do squat for you, but demand to speak with a supervisor and you may get the help your looking for. Just my 2 cents worth. Either way, hope you get it worked out.

pstltaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #43
GaryAG

Our 364Q was doing the same thing, broke frame. Might check.
GaryAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:31 PM   #44
BAPotter

I had the same problem with my Bullet 251RBSWE. After consulting the Lippert spring charts I found that stock springs have 1 1/2” drop. Mine had sagged to 1 1/8”. I also discovered that the Keystone spec showed the East coast model uses 14” wheels and the West coast model uses 15” wheels. After consulting with Lippert engineers they confirmed that they build the frames/suspension the same for east and west so the 15” wheels will definitely be closer to the fender. Their engineers suggested that I go up two spring weights, to the 2200 lb,with 2” drop. (Normally only one spring weight, but they concurred I needed to get more spacing and the slightly heavier spring wouldn’t give as much). Thishas solved all the problems.
BAPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #45
hazmat456

Just flip the axle and be done with it. You will gain more than 3 inches in height and will need to adjust your hitch to compensate. But you won't have to worry so much about approach angles either.
hazmat456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:32 PM   #46
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmat456 View Post
Just flip the axle and be done with it. You will gain more than 3 inches in height and will need to adjust your hitch to compensate. But you won't have to worry so much about approach angles either.
When you say "flip the axle" I hope you don't mean turning it upside down to move the spring perch from the bottom to the top! Trailer axles are built with a specified amount of arch so that they flex and straighten when they take the design load. Turning the axle upside down will put wrong angles on the entire suspension, kill the tires, etc.

If you mean "do a spring over conversion" by keeping the axle right-side up and installing new spring perches on the top of the axle, then that can be done if done properly.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:40 PM   #47
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmat456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
When you say "flip the axle" I hope you don't mean turning it upside down to move the spring perch from the bottom to the top! Trailer axles are built with a specified amount of arch so that they flex and straighten when they take the design load. Turning the axle upside down will put wrong angles on the entire suspension, kill the tires, etc.

If you mean "do a spring over conversion" by keeping the axle right-side up and installing new spring perches on the top of the axle, then that can be done if done properly.
Crawl under your trailer and look at the suspension. I can't name one "flat floor slide RV that doesn't already have the springs on top of the axles... The days of "springs under the axle" are, for the most part, ancient history, at least on Keystone trailers... From what I've seen, if there's a slide, they all have the springs on top of the axles as OEM.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:16 PM   #48
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Crawl under your trailer and look at the suspension. I can't name one "flat floor slide RV that doesn't already have the springs on top of the axles... The days of "springs under the axle" are, for the most part, ancient history, at least on Keystone trailers... From what I've seen, if there's a slide, they all have the springs on top of the axles as OEM.
Thanks John - I'll take your word regarding Keystone trailers. However, "flipping the axles" is quite common with utility trailers, tent trailers, etc. in an attempt to gain ground clearance. That's probably where the previous poster came up with "Just flip the axle and be done with it."

The point I was trying to convey to that previous post is that ANY trailer with a designed axle system (Dexter, LCI, etc.) can not simply be flipped upside down and used that way because it screws up the design geometry of the system.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #49
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Thanks John - I'll take your word regarding Keystone trailers. However, "flipping the axles" is quite common with utility trailers, tent trailers, etc. in an attempt to gain ground clearance. That's probably where the previous poster came up with "Just flip the axle and be done with it."

The point I was trying to convey to that previous post is that ANY trailer with a designed axle system (Dexter, LCI, etc.) can not simply be flipped upside down and used that way because it screws up the design geometry of the system.
I completely agree with your statement about "flipping" the axle geometry. Axle tubes are "bent in a curve" and that camber is required so that when loaded, the wheels sit "perpendicular to the ground". In other words, so the tires will sit flat on the pavement... You're correct in the way "axle systems are designed" and the axles can not be "turned upside down to gain height"...

That said, "years ago" RV's were built with springs under the axles (similar to the way many utility trailers are currently built)... Many of those older RV's sat very close to the ground and typically there was only a 1 step entry staircase. Today's trailers typically already have "springs on top of the axles", 3 or 4 step entry staircases and flat floor slides with "NO wheelwells intruding inside the cabin".... That's the "hallmark of modern RV's"... flat floors, no "wheelwell bump with a sofa built on top of it" and "extremely high interior floors, when compared to the ground outside... In some cases with larger toyhaulers, there's 5 steps to the ground...

The point I was making is that on the OP's trailer, the "axles are already flipped" (meaning the springs are mounted on top of the axles)...

In the past 10 years, people have argued about "how to jack a trailer". Is it by the U bolts under the axles or is it by the frame... In years past (more than 10 years ago), there was no discussion because nearly all the springs were under the axles and we all jacked on the springs, not the axles.... Not so on today's trailers. All the springs are on top of the axles and we "argue about whether it's safe to jack on the axle tube, the U bolts or the frame rails 24-36" above the ground....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #50
hazmat456

No flipping the axle dose not mean mounting it upside down. It means flipping positions with the spring.
A vast majority of trailers are built with the axle above the spring, the easiest and least expensive way to gain ground clearance is to position it below the spring. Etrailer even makes a no weld kit for doing this. The only other safe method is to mount new spring mounts to the frame or building a subframe to lower the spring mounts. Never use blocks between the spring and axle, it will cause excess tire ware and a pothole has the potential to misalign the axle more easily.
hazmat456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM   #51
shermris

I have a Bullet 248 RKS the clearance is over 5" above the rear wheels and 6" above the front when loaded but w/o any water in the fresh water tank. Your Bullet is only a year old so the springs should be in new condition. I would contact the dealer to ensure the tires are the correct size. Water weighs 8.33# a gallon so half a tank of water would only be about 200#.

shermris is offline   Reply With Quote