Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2020, 03:04 AM   #1
Fredcook

Outwest loop

Morning all it’s been awhile since I visited been very busy hope all is good with everyone. Wife and I are looking at planning an out west loop, one that does the upper half and one that does the lower half. Was wondering if any of you have any suggestions or routing info for these? Is there a mapping tool that’s good for this? I have looked RV Parky app and played with it a bit but also looked at a atlas as well. We have made several notes and places we are looking to stop at and visit. I figured there were people on here that had done this that may have some info. Thanks in advance and stay safe.

Fred & Trisha
Evansville,IN
2018 SM3030BH
2017 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Air lift 1000
Fredcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:42 AM   #2
notanlines

Fred, you are sort of suggesting the same thing as saying "I have one day to see Disneyland. Where should I start?"
We have traveled the west extensively, but couldn't even begin to tell you what to see because we don't know what your interests are, nor your time frame. Because of our responsibility to our traveling companions we once had to spend 6 days at the KOA in Seattle. We were both bored to tears. One big city is pretty much like another. We traveled the central area (US 97) of Oregon on that trip, staying a few days in Bend area. Truly beautiful area! On the same trip we spent 5 days just south of Avenue of the Giants and we would have been happy to say there another week. We particularly enjoyed the area east of Modesto, right outside of Sonora.
Check out this article for just a couple ideas you might like.
https://www.trailerlife.com/lifestyl...esert-highway/
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:15 AM   #3
Fredcook

Thank you, it was vague as I didn’t give any more info. We are looking at going thru Iowa South Dakota Wyoming Utah San Francisco and back. I was wondering about routing as well as points of interest along the way.

Fred & Trisha
Evansville,IN
2018 SM3030BH
Air lift 1000
Old 07-19-2020, 04:52 AM   #4
Northofu1

I would use RV Wizard. It's worth the money and the more info you put into the better it will plan. You can add your personal points of interest and they will show on your routes.
I warn you, planning stops of two days are tough. Unhooking, setting up, tearing down and hooking up gets old and tiresome quick, as well as shortening your time to hike, sight see, etc..
Think about the places you want to stop, how many activities there are in the place, add a day to do nothing but decompress, then move on.
JM2CW
Good luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:32 AM   #5
roadglide

I have been those states the traffic has been very light I stay on rural roads. The states you have mentioned have moderate restrictions excluding California and I would avoid that at all cost find another Destiination specially dragging a trailer and the price of fuel in California. If you had a route you could mention you might have some more input on places to stay. Utah has not completely opened Wyoming about the same maybe a little better for traveling. Will be going to Yellowstone then up to Sturgis both places are open for business. The travel Band worldwide has caused traffic and congestion to be cut and in at the parks I have visited . Yellowstone alone down 1/4 the clientele that was something like 250 000 people already this year
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:01 AM   #6
notanlines

Good advice from Dan. We regularly see posts here from young families wanting to leave Ohio, travel to Seattle, see every site along the way, and do all this on 10 days vacation. (Did I leave out their three kids?) For you, just the drive home from San Francisco is 6-7 days, and that's without seeing anything along the way.
We all will also be interested in how your Big Horn does with a 10K load and 35 feet of windsail behind. It will give other members here a good idea of how the half-tons do with a really good workout.
In San Francisco we both recommend Olema Campground on US1 northwest of the city. 35 miles to the big city and a wonderful area. I think $50 a night or so and big spaces. https://www.olemacampground.net/
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 07-19-2020, 06:14 AM   #7
CedarCreekWoody

As many have said, slow down and take your time. I towed a similar rig with my 2017 1500 Ram and it did fine, just a lot of transmission shifting. I take 4 days tow tow from California to East Texas with no sight seeing (400 miles a day) so give some thought to your plans.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:28 AM   #8
Cougar Jim

This year or next? The RV sales and rentals have exploded this year because of the virus so plan ahead and make reservations.

We travel the west a lot and WY yearly for business and R & R. Visit Cody for at least four or five days. There be sure to see Buffalo Bill museum which is five different museums in one. Allow two days. Then there is the senic Chief Joseph Scenic Byway north out of Cody. That's another day trip. Pack a lunch and stop at the top to eat.

Of course there is Yellowstone Park, The Tetons and Jackson Hole. Allow one week to see it all.

Into Utah with all it's great National Parks. WOW!
Cougar Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:51 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Seems to me, the general consensus is that if you're trying to do this kind of trip "while on a 2 week vacation from work" it's going to be "near impossible" just to get in the travel days before you run out of time.

A couple years ago, we spent 2 months on a "shorter loop" through the midwest. We left Michigan, went through Minnesota, Nebraska, N and S Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Colorado and back. In that 2 months, we didn't spend more than 5 days in any one spot with most being around 3 days. We found that doing it that way, pretty much all we were doing was "punching the travel tickets to say we had been in a particular location"... We "rushed through many of the highlights" but we didn't see any of the "more subtle sites that really make the areas special"....

So, the following year, we spent 6 weeks in Minnesota, last year we spent 4 weeks in Montana (then a rush trip to Las Vegas and southern California for a week) this year we had planned a 6 week trip to Nebraska, but the "pandemic" curtailed this year's big trip. Next year, back on schedule.

I've found that even with 2 or 3 months in any one state, about all you can do is "hit a few of the highlights"....

All that to say, your trip is extremely "ambitious" and you're going to only "rush through without seeing much, if anything" even if you've alloted 2 or 3 months for the trip....

Without knowing what you're interested in (trains, planes, old cars vs rustic scenery vs ancient historical museums vs "the world's biggest mall") it's nearly impossible to do much more than say, "Hey I was there and I enjoyed XX, maybe you will too."

Picking a route with the "fewest miles of highway construction" (easy towing) vs "the most scenic roads" vs "the best for no steep climbs" vs "most truck stops for easiest refueling" vs "best campgrounds for overnighting" vs "best WalMart parking lots to stay in" vs "?????" It's tough to "get inside someone's head to find out what's most important in planning "THEIR TRIP"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:49 AM   #10
travelin texans

We traveled full-time for 10+ years & still didn't see all we wanted!
You didn't mention your travel time frame or time of year for this trip? That "out west loop" could easily take a year, or more, to do & see it all!
We typically traveled 200-300 miles, stopped by 3 pm & stayed a week, weekly rates drop the daily rate a bit, or a month, this drops the rate considerably, depending on location. Some places a week was too long, others a month wasn't enough.
As for travel, calculate an average of 50 mph to your next destination, this will allow for fuel, potty, & lunch stops along the way. That 50 mph average would be traveling interstates, if planning on using secondary routes calculate a minimum of 10 mph less & always have plenty of fuel, never below 1/2 tank, just in case.
Good luck in your travels & enjoy the adventure!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:31 AM   #11
Fredcook

Thank you all for your replies all is great info and advice. This will be next year due to all the covid issues plus other plans being made. We are in the planning stages of this large adventure. As far as the truck I have not had trouble pulling my rig, cross winds are sometimes an issue but other than that it does just fine. We are looking at 22 days is our plan and as my wife goes thru the details stops may be dropped and others picked up and California may be dropped all together. Again thank you for your time.

Fred & Trisha
Evansville,IN
2018 SM3030BH
Air lift 1000
Old 07-21-2020, 06:04 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Fred,

When you get a route and "planned stop areas" charted, post those, with your interests and length of stay at each location and I'm sure members will offer suggestions for specific things to view, places to eat, campgrounds to reserve and routes to take to "avoid" things as well as "must take" roads to see something or for other reasons.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredcook View Post
Thank you all for your replies all is great info and advice. This will be next year due to all the covid issues plus other plans being made. We are in the planning stages of this large adventure. As far as the truck I have not had trouble pulling my rig, cross winds are sometimes an issue but other than that it does just fine. We are looking at 22 days is our plan and as my wife goes thru the details stops may be dropped and others picked up and California may be dropped all together. Again thank you for your time.
We could easily spend 22 days in S Dakota &/or Utah alone & 22 minutes in Calif is about all we could afford.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:43 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredcook View Post
Don't know what your door sticker says the payload is but at nearly 35 ' and GVWR of 9,730 puts the fully loaded tongue weight at 1,265 lbs. I'm guessing that your going to have your hands full traversing the plains if there's any wind with that much strapped on to a 1/2 ton truck.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:50 AM   #15
Roscommon48

way too open. get your atlas, get books on the national parks and then talk about how long you want to spend at each area. Plus, how far west and what exactly do you want to see? how long of time do you have?

once you figure out where you want to go map it for driving/distance.
this is the fun or RVing
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:01 PM   #16
notanlines

Fred, to give just a little perspective to this trip and time frame, let's look at round-trip to San Francisco: 4500 miles. And that's the shortest route. How about we put an average of 350 miles per day traveling? Nope, you won't do better than that. We have now used up 13 of your 22 vacation days and haven't seen anything but the white center line and the bottom of the Styrofoam coffee cup. In the first 1100 miles you will have seen nothing but corn fields, St Louis traffic, corn fields, Kansas City traffic and then Nebraska. Guess what? More corn fields. On your way back it will still be there, but taller. I'm not trying in say disparaging things about these areas, just pointing out that this is what you are leaving in Evansville. 6 days of your 22 are now 'same old same old' unless you and Momma put your heads together and come up with a great game plan. I'm betting that every single one of the experienced 'travelers' on this site will heartily agree with what I'm saying. Travel less, see more, fish more, eat more, shop more. But don't visit relatives!!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle