Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
rorielly

Winterization kit install

So, this is my first travel trailer. A hideout 178LHS. The area under the sink has the hot water heater bypass and from what I can tell, possibly where the water pump pulls from the fresh water tank. Just want to get a confirmation if that is the case. I bought a winterization kit for the fall and am hoping I’m right. Looks like I would just unscrew that connection and connect up the winterization kit. Does that look right? I don’t see any other place that would access the water pump plumbing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	170DE9F8-E95E-4A1B-AA93-5BCD2F095D92.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	22813  
rorielly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:30 PM   #2
Wingerdinger

First, it would be very helpful to know what year your unit is. You can add your year/make/model as well as your Tow vehicle to your signature to make it easy for each of your posts.
I don't know of any modern RV, say, after 2012 that doesn't already have a winterizing method built-in. I would get on the Keystone web site and find the owners manual.
The winterizing valves are usually in the vicinity of the water pump, and I don't see it in your picture. Find that, and you will probably find your winterizing valve(s).
Mine is in the water heater compartment, accessed by removing four screws from a panel in the bedroom.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #3
rorielly

It’s a 2019 hideout 178lhs single axel trailer. The manual is not very useful because it has 3 winterization options but doesn’t tell me where the pump is located. Guess I’ll have another look tomorrow.
Doesn’t help that the only manual I seem to have for it is french (because I happen to love in Quebec Canada). Pisses me off that I didn’t notice the lack of an English manual.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #4
Wingerdinger

You can get the English owners manual on the Keystone web site for free. I looked briefly at one, they are very general in nature, and cover several models without being specific about anything.
Maybe your dealer can be more helpful.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
rorielly

To follow up on the water pump, I found it. Under the seat at the table. It’s not set up for winterization.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3AFC8422-E520-4CF1-B91F-D6C29A78EBCF.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	22828   Click image for larger version

Name:	6BC9A1D9-69FD-441F-9C65-690E4080E1B8.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	22829  
Old 07-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If you bought what I think you bought and are calling it a "winterization kit" then it's not what you need to pull antifreeze from a gallon jug into the FloJet pumphead. I think you bought one of the $20 kits with a couple pieces of short tubing and a 3 way valve ??? If so, it won't work well with your pump.

All you need is a "snap lock pump connector" (about $5 at any RV parts store) and a 3' length of clear (so you can see the antifreeze) vinyl tubing from any big box home store.

This is a link to the connector you need and a photo of it. The vinyl hose is sized to fit the barbed end of the connector. https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-Port-D...gateway&sr=8-1

Just pull the blue tab on the pump inlet side (under the wires in your photo) insert the "vinyl hose/connector" into the hole and push the blue tab closed to lock your "winterization adapter". Turn on the pump and watch the pink stuff flow. When you're done, pull the blue tab, remove the hose and reinstall your existing connector.

As a note, there is no strainer on your pump inlet. You may want to consider protecting your pump and plumbing system by installing a FloJet strainer. You can simply install it at the pump inlet and then install your fresh water tank inlet to the strainer. Here's a photo of the strainer and a link for it as well. Cost for the strainer is around $10. https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-017403...gateway&sr=8-3
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	flojet elbow.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	22832   Click image for larger version

Name:	flojet strainer.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	22833  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #7
rorielly

Omg thanks so much! I never would have realized this. I did buy the camco winterization kit as you described. I also noticed some people mention it didn’t work for them. I would have been super frustrated. I’ll return what I bought and pick up the right stuff.

Thanks again.

Tags
winter