Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
theallde

No 12V power - what a dummy I am

Just brought back our Cougar 30RLI from storage while the backyard was landscaped and discovered no 12V lights, etc. worked. Checked the batteries with a voltmeter and the reading was 12.8 - plenty of charge. Voltmeter confirmed electricity pass the batteries. Checked the circuit breaker fuses - all okay. Checked the converter fuses - all okay. Plugged in the 50amp and the lights, etc. all worked. Getting frustrated now !!! Disconnected the 50amp. Connected the trailer to the F250's electrical plug on the hitch - lights, etc. worked. LIGHT CAME ON, what about the battery disconnect in the pass through storage. YEP, it was off - turned it on and "let there be 12V lights".

Sat down and had a beer - lesson learned the hard way but a lesson was learned.

You can stop smiling now
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

Well at least you did not post asking others to help because of no 12v. You where smart enough to track down the easy possible things and found the problem.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:14 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Take comfort in knowing that while you may be the first one to have this happen this camping season, you won't be the last either. Thanks for sharing, I'm sure you have helped several people who will have this issue soon enough.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:49 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theallde View Post
Just brought back our Cougar 30RLI from storage while the backyard was landscaped and discovered no 12V lights, etc. worked. Checked the batteries with a voltmeter and the reading was 12.8 - plenty of charge. Voltmeter confirmed electricity pass the batteries. Checked the circuit breaker fuses - all okay. Checked the converter fuses - all okay. Plugged in the 50amp and the lights, etc. all worked. Getting frustrated now !!! Disconnected the 50amp. Connected the trailer to the F250's electrical plug on the hitch - lights, etc. worked. LIGHT CAME ON, what about the battery disconnect in the pass through storage. YEP, it was off - turned it on and "let there be 12V lights".

Sat down and had a beer - lesson learned the hard way but a lesson was learned.

You can stop smiling now
I just went through this same process only when I flipped my disconnect back and forth nothing happened so I assumed the switch was good but I had a problem elsewhere and I had checked "everything"...or so I thought. Posted here and everyone pretty much had the same thoughts that I had had. When it became obvious to me that it HAD to be the disconnect I removed it and put a meter on it. Sure enough it wasn't working. Flipped it back and forth, wiggled it and poof! it started passing power. Now I have a new one sitting here waiting for the trailer to come back from the shop so I can replace it
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:52 AM   #5
Cardcathrn

Battery disconnect

Similar thing here. We charged up battery post winter. Hooked it all up. Came back a month later to hitch and no power. After much investigation called the tech help. When we first put battery in, we turned disconnect to on. Thinking, yes! We want to leave disconnected so as not to drain. What it meant was Yes, battery is ready for use. And it drained it. Off means ok for storage. Thank goodness for tech support. my logic was off so now will label so I do not forget
Cardcathrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:38 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardcathrn View Post
... Came back a month later to hitch and no power. After much investigation called the tech help. When we first put battery in, we turned disconnect to on. Thinking, yes! We want to leave disconnected so as not to drain. ...
Don't be lulled into thinking your battery will be fully charged "after a month" if you rely on the OEM battery disconnect switch to remove all drains from the battery. There are several that remain connected (Propane detector, radio memory circuit, etc) that will drain your battery in as short a time frame as one week.

Also remember that discharging most "marine/RV deep cycle batteries" beyond about 70% will shorten their life. Finding a "completely dead battery" several times will probably destroy most RV batteries in one season. So, if you're going to store your trailer without shore power available, the safest means to protect your battery AND extend its useful life, is to remove all power drains from the system. That means disconnecting the battery terminals (at the battery) or installing a second "battery cutoff switch" on the cables at the battery (or in the cable circuitry).

Many people without power to recharge the battery on site, simply remove their battery and take it home, others disconnect it and leave it in the trailer, the rest find a dead battery "a month later".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:08 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Several years ago before installing disconnect switch I went through the "can't believe I'm that dumb" moment. It was the first trip of the season. Camper on AC with fridge running at home. Hitched up, drove 3 1/2 hrs to cg and set up. Everything worked great. End of stay broke down normal routine, put away hoses, pulled shore power, etc. Slide was still out so when in and the slide wouldn't retract. Oh SHUCKS ( edited for family friendly forum). Got out the manual crank and brought the slide in. Camper getting warm, laying on my belly and the six cervical spine surgeries are making their presences known. Finish that fight and go to hitch up and the tongue jack doesn't work! That's when it hit me. I had pulled the neg battery cable and in my haste forgot it. That was the weekend I bought the battery disconnect switch. Lesson learned, years ago when I learned how to fly you religiously went by a check list. Now I do that with the camper, and yes always check the simple stuff first (often overlooked).
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:57 AM   #8
Barbell

Been there and done all of that. Now, when in storage, the battery cables (yes, both) are disconnected using quick disconnects. A week or so before a trip, I plug into external power from a 15 amp outlet near where I park it. Battery connected and has time to charge as well as cooling the refer getting ready to load it for the trip. Once or twice a year, clean all the cable/battery connections and no more low battery problems.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #9
retiredusps69

12 volt

BEST EXCUSE TO HAVE A BEER, i WILL HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT ONE
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:01 PM   #10
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredusps69 View Post
BEST EXCUSE TO HAVE A BEER, i WILL HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT ONE
crucial part of the problem solving process for sure!

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power