Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2020, 11:36 PM   #1
JesusFreak

Is it worth it?

I have a 2004 Outback 26RS trailer and it needs some TLC. I was thinking of doing it myself, but would it be worth it?

Considering I don't have a massive fund ($3k max) and it's a fiberglass wall, can I do any repairs to the interior walls?
JesusFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:54 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

What do you mean by "repairs to interior walls" ???

Is it something as simple as repairing a few nail holes or does the trailer have rotted walls from years of water leaks?

Repair is "doable" up to a point, then it becomes a question of is the investment in time and materials worth more than the value of the trailer when the project is finished?

Depending on your skill level, time available, condition of the trailer and your "affection for the trailer" you may find it something you want to tackle or you may find that "the trailer just isn't worth it".....

Photos, trailer condition, level of damage, availability of tools and materials would be helpful in making any recommendation.

Remember, RV service/repair centers are going to charge upwards of $100 an hour for work. If you "invest heavily" in a do-it-yourself project and find that you're in over your head for some reason, your choices are "hire someone to finish it" or "junk/sell the trailer for whatever you can get out of it"... Either one will drastically change the financial investment. What I'm saying is depending on your skills and capability, it may not be something to even consider, then again, if you're up to it, the finished product can be rewarding.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:07 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

The definition of the damage is critical. Fiberglass wall? Interior walls? Maybe, maybe not.

John was conservative with that hourly rate. My dealer charges $149 hr. for work and I believe some types of work are sort of like auto work; a preset time frame whether it takes it or not. A smaller, independent dealer/repair shop might give you a better rate. But, consider 3k only gives you 30hrs labor at $100hr. Depending on what it is that could evaporate quickly. Then the other side of the coin is how much you want to invest in a 16 year old entry level trailer?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
travelin texans

There's a gigantic dollar amount difference between "a little TLC" & major fiberglass repair.
We bought a very old Layton 5th wheel, only about 20' long, that due to water damage we gutted to replace th floor & wall paneling. We did all the work ourselves, turned out very well I might add, & kept it for several years using it on weekends, then I got transferred & lived in it for about 4 months til our house sold & DW came to me
Would I do it again, HELL NO!
Did enjoy it at the time & recouped the $$ for the material, but as with most DIY projects your time is never paid other than a job well done.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

2004 trailer ain't worth a whole lot and having anything done by a pro probably won't get you a good return on your money. Do it yourself. It ain't rocket science for the most part and folks here can help with procedures on almost any repair or upgrade.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:17 AM   #6
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreak View Post
I have a 2004 Outback 26RS trailer and it needs some TLC. I was thinking of doing it myself, but would it be worth it?

Considering I don't have a massive fund ($3k max) and it's a fiberglass wall, can I do any repairs to the interior walls?
I agree with George - From your New Member post, it looks like this is your "full time home" as opposed to a "weekend camp trailer". If that is true, then don't think in terms of financial worth. RV Trader lists the value of your trailer in the $6K-10K range; doing $3K in repairs will likely not be a sound financial investment.

However, if this is your home, then you should go for it! You can do a lot of repairs and upgrades on your budget; you will get to develop some new skills, end up with some useful tools, and have a lot of satisfaction from going the DIY route. You won't get much if you pay someone else to do the work.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disrepair, diy