Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #21
mfifield01

My son has been climbing to the top bunk since he was 4 years old. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

We have a bathroom entry floorplan. My wife wanted it. I think it helps that you can just pop in the bathroom. Another helpful thing is when flushing the black tank. It's easy to take a look down the toilet quickly.

To reiterate, an outside kitchen could be a pain. The outside fridge would be nice, but the water issues would be of concern. I have a friend with one and it has delaminated at least once.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #22
markjamestx

I have a 2017 Bullet Premier 31BKPR (31 foot box/35'-8" hitch to bumper), it has everything you want except for the solar. Had it 2+ years, 25K miles and I can't count the nights we stayed in it from Arkansas to California to deep down in Texas three times, to Ontario and then this summer to Montana/Wyoming 5900 miles.

A few notes, you will want to upgrade your master mattress, I built another dinette in the bunk room for 3 total beds if needed and it has a walk-in pantry in the bunk room. I also (this week) have upgraded all of the suspension components to HD Dexter (shackles, bushings and equalizers). I installed electric stabilizers and threw the scissors out, plus a fold-out stair and tool box below the door. We are in our late 60's and have camped for almost 50 years.

Trailer with cargo is rated at 8800#, we ran across the scales fully loaded for a 5 week west coast trip and it weighed out at 7700# and that is with our internet business inventory in the bunk room.

Comfort is everything at this age so put some serious thought in it. By the way, bought it in July of 2017 and paid $26k for it new ($42k list but that doesn't mean anything).

Good luck
2021 GMC SIERRA SLT 2500 HD

markjamestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #23
alpo

While a 5th wheel has more storage capabilities than a TT, you loose the Storage Capabilities of the Truck. You mentioned a Box placed in Truck Bed in front of the 5th Wheel Hitch, I never saw this but can’t imagine it being of any usable size - most setups I have seen did not have any spare room between the Trailer and Cab, in some cases not enough needing sliding Hitches. You also mentioned Canoes and Bikes, I do not think the Basement in. 5th Wheel can fit Canoes and Bikes (maybe smaller Bikes). I have Canoes and Bikes and that is one of the reasons I opted for a TT myself, as well as the limited remaining Cargo Capacity available of a 5th Wheel. I have. 3/4 Ton Diesel Ram and most viable 5th Wheels we’re right at the Limit leaving no room for People or Cargo in the Truck. My Trailer (Rockwood 2906ws) has Three Slides, a HUGE Living area with two opposing Recliners facing the Large TV, and ample remaining Cargo capacity in the Truck for Family and Gear. A 5th wheel may Tow Better but the sacrifices were to much, and I just returned from a WV to La and back and it towed just fine.
alpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #24
B&T_NF-NY

All very good points. Just a side note, when you finally decide on what RV you're going to get pay special attention to which tires are supplied with the unit specifically the load range and manufacture date. My RV (summerland 2200) mb has load range C's. Not much leeway weight wise, not that I'm going to load it up but would rather have D's for greater tire strength and reliability. My friend just got a keystone hideout 28bhs with LR C's and he has VERY little margin weight wise. We're both going to get new tires next season. Best of luck, and have a safe and enjoyable experience.
B&T_NF-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:02 PM   #25
BamaRam

I wouldn’t recommend any trailer that comes out of Keystone plant 7. They have little quality control. Not sure they know or care what a quality system consists of. It’s luck of the draw.

I own a 2018 31RBDS. See my threads.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:59 PM   #26
rich_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRam View Post
I wouldn’t recommend any trailer that comes out of Keystone plant 7. They have little quality control. Not sure they know or care what a quality system consists of. It’s luck of the draw.

I own a 2018 31RBDS. See my threads.
Where does one find this info on the trailer?

We have had numerous issues with ours since we bought it. Just curious if it came from this plant.
rich_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_d View Post
Where does one find this info on the trailer?

We have had numerous issues with ours since we bought it. Just curious if it came from this plant.
Each brand at Keystone is built on a different assembly line. The lines are located in buildings with numbers. Plant 1, Plant 2, etc.... Apparently BamaRam has determined that his trailer was built in building #7.

Something he hasn't yet addressed in his "theory of non-excellence" is that the cupboards are all constructed in a separate plant called the "cabinet shop" and all the walls are constructed in the "wall shop" and all the frames come from Lippert, stacked 6 on a trailer, all the axles come from Lippert on a 53' flatbed and all the wheel/tire assemblies come from the same "wheel/tire" warehouse, incidentally, the same warehouse that supplies most of the RV manufacturers around the Goshen/Elkhart area, from Forest River to Jayco to THOR facilities....

Also not mentioned is that the workforce may change from building to building on a weekly basis. Workers assigned to the Montana facility may wind up working on the Cougar line if they're short handed and workers from the Hideout plant may be building Sprinter fifth wheels today, Springdale travel trailers tomorrow and Alpine fifth wheels next week.

The allegation that Plant 7 is worse than any other line at Keystone is, at best, speculation.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:31 PM   #28
teacherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alelka View Post
I had the trailer you want. Keystone Cougar 2017 31sqbwe. It was a fantastic trailer, bunk house with a door, outside access from the bathroom (with kids and dogs that becomes important), outside kitchen, solar ready, cable ready and polar package. We traded it in as our grandkids didn't always come with us and so that bunkhouse was wasted space for us. I miss most the outside access from the bathroom as we still have two dogs. We used that as kind of a mud room as we have hunting dogs and therefore mud!
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjamestx View Post
I have a 2017 Bullet Premier 31BKPR (31 foot box/35'-8" hitch to bumper), it has everything you want except for the solar. Had it 2+ years, 25K miles and I can't count the nights we stayed in it from Arkansas to California to deep down in Texas three times, to Ontario and then this summer to Montana/Wyoming 5900 miles.

A few notes, you will want to upgrade your master mattress, I built another dinette in the bunk room for 3 total beds if needed and it has a walk-in pantry in the bunk room. I also (this week) have upgraded all of the suspension components to HD Dexter (shackles, bushings and equalizers). I installed electric stabilizers and threw the scissors out, plus a fold-out stair and tool box below the door. We are in our late 60's and have camped for almost 50 years.

Trailer with cargo is rated at 8800#, we ran across the scales fully loaded for a 5 week west coast trip and it weighed out at 7700# and that is with our internet business inventory in the bunk room.

Comfort is everything at this age so put some serious thought in it. By the way, bought it in July of 2017 and paid $26k for it new ($42k list but that doesn't mean anything).

Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpo View Post
While a 5th wheel has more storage capabilities than a TT, you loose the Storage Capabilities of the Truck. You mentioned a Box placed in Truck Bed in front of the 5th Wheel Hitch, I never saw this but can’t imagine it being of any usable size - most setups I have seen did not have any spare room between the Trailer and Cab, in some cases not enough needing sliding Hitches. You also mentioned Canoes and Bikes, I do not think the Basement in. 5th Wheel can fit Canoes and Bikes (maybe smaller Bikes). I have Canoes and Bikes and that is one of the reasons I opted for a TT myself, as well as the limited remaining Cargo Capacity available of a 5th Wheel. I have. 3/4 Ton Diesel Ram and most viable 5th Wheels we’re right at the Limit leaving no room for People or Cargo in the Truck. My Trailer (Rockwood 2906ws) has Three Slides, a HUGE Living area with two opposing Recliners facing the Large TV, and ample remaining Cargo capacity in the Truck for Family and Gear. A 5th wheel may Tow Better but the sacrifices were to much, and I just returned from a WV to La and back and it towed just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T_NF-NY View Post
All very good points. Just a side note, when you finally decide on what RV you're going to get pay special attention to which tires are supplied with the unit specifically the load range and manufacture date. My RV (summerland 2200) mb has load range C's. Not much leeway weight wise, not that I'm going to load it up but would rather have D's for greater tire strength and reliability. My friend just got a keystone hideout 28bhs with LR C's and he has VERY little margin weight wise. We're both going to get new tires next season. Best of luck, and have a safe and enjoyable experience.
Wow. All of these are wonderful points. Thank you so much. This is better than I could have hoped for, with respect to the myriad things to consider. I figured the beds would need to swap out, but I didn't even think about the suspension, but it makes sense that getting to a price point that lets people actually buy these things involves shortcuts wherever possible. I'm big on sturdy suspension and tires, and I am too durned old to be camping in a tent, or emulating that experience via a hard bedroll!
It might be illegal to mount a hitch receiver on the back of a TT, but my bike rack slips into a 1.25" which would solve that. The ladder rack I took off the truck (left the side rails in place to ease reinstallation) when I converted it to civilian duty last month, it would hold the canoe just fine. Had the 30K service on the tow vehicle today, they confirmed I'm rated to pull 13.5K, so I don't feel I'm pushing it to shoot for GTW of 10K. I imagine a TT is more evenly balanced than a 5W, so it's less of a payload consideration there. I suppose gong to some national parks we could use a smaller trailer and make it more like camping out. Of all the floor plans and features I've looked at, it seems Keystone has the best ones overall, and the roof strength, well maybe I can reinforce it somehow.

I can say that a slide or three will need to happen. I recall touring an old submarine docked at Charleston SC one time, and my inner claustrophobe would jump out right through the wall of an airstream...

2019 Load Trail 10k payload dump trailer

Bunkhouse trailer to be added soon!
teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:40 PM   #29
BamaRam

I determined mine was assembled at plant 7 using the routing labels on the furniture. My point is that a good quality system would not allow a defective assembly to the customer regardless of the source of supply. It’s known as process control and is a common approach in the industrial world. Apparently a rare concept in the RV industry. Like I said it’s luck of the draw.
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #30
duh1

Our 2910bh is nearly ten years old and has 80k miles on it, Minimally 100 nights a year in it. our 1500 chevy would pull it but was working hard. Upgraded to a chevy 2500 diesel and never regretted it. now have 116k on it mostly with the trailer. Our on has an external kitchen and never uses it. I have a two burner outside standalone grill and use the inside burner if there is a third thing cooking, one door is fine. The keystone has been fine, no major problem but watch the cable slide. Broke first time out, the turnbuckles/cable harness sometimes catch against each other and create a problem. Had a small leak on top front seem and now front is delaminating and looks bad but, is purely cosmetic (I think). Flooring feels a bit soft but is because the studs are set too far apart and with time the flex is evident. We may have been lucky and no major problems and would buy a keystone again. Wish the frig was bigger, hate to deal with an ice chest but always do. good luck.
duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:29 PM   #31
Blucaddy71

Be sure the foot room on the Queen bed works for you and yours-----a friend had a similar floor-plan and learned to hate it quickly