Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
Kuwanger23

Which Travel Trailer to choose?

Hey guys and gals,

My wife and I have been looking for a little over a year now for our first travel trailer. We have a towing capacity of 7200lbs with our jeep trailhawk.

I think we have it narrowed down between three trailers. But first let us list or wants, preferences and needs:

Wrap around dinet
Bunks
Outdoor kitchen
Bathtub (for my son who turns two next month)

The more we can get of the above the better. And we have other nit picky things that I won't bother to list here.

We are still learning. A lot. Learned something about flush systems yesterday that seems like a big deal. But without further ado, here is what we think we are looking for. Of course we are open to this groups wisdom and suggestions as you guys have hands on experience:

Jayco Jayfeather 25BH

Keystone Bullet 243BHS

Shadow Cruiser 240BHS (saw that it has a similar weight, build, layout to the above two but haven't looked at one yet).

Discuss...
Kuwanger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
bob91yj

That towing capacity didn't seem right to me, just looked on line and I see a 4,500# towing capacity which seems more reasonable for that vehicle.

Standard towing capacity shows 2000 pounds, with an annotated 4500 pound capacity, couldn't find what the annotation was.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #3
Kuwanger23

max tow on the trailhawk is 7200lbs

https://www.jeep.com/grand-cherokee/capability.html
Old 07-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
Gegrad

What is your payload capacity? (Yellow sticker on the door frame- open the door and let us know what it says).
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Not to get sidetracked with the TV since you've already narrowed down the trailer selection, but that is kinda what we do. There are many variations of the Trailhawk and some can tow no more than 2000 lbs. I am assuming yours has at least the 5.7L V8??

If you have a MAX tow rating of 7200 lbs. the 243bhs comes in at 6500 gvw. Which brings us to the tongue weight of around 800-850 lbs., which brings up the previous question; what is the payload of your vehicle? It will be on the little sticker inside the driver door and is more important than the maximum towing capacity that only applies if properly equipped.

This portion of the conversation happens because there is a lot of experience on here and many of us, me included, have tried towing with a smaller SUV (mid size) like the Grand Cherokee. I've owned 2 (GCs) and rented one for about 10 days in March. They aren't really tow vehicles and I'm sure others here can provide their insight. That really needs to be sorted out before buying the trailer.

As far as selecting the "right" trailer, that is purely a subjective thing. You and your wife know what you like and don't like. The #1 thing is to get the floorplan that will work for you in a trailer that you can tow. After that you need to look at build and quality. The Jayfeather's are light weight and built that way... and it showed in every one I looked at. Lots of Bullet owners on here so hopefully they will chime in. I know nothing about a Shadow Cruiser. You said "discuss"....so it's started Look at that payload on the door.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:41 PM   #6
Kuwanger23

We actually bought this vehicle for our family with towing a trailer in mind and our friend who works for Jeep sold it to us. I just double checked just in case. Here is a pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Beepbeepimajeep.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	17578

so that is where we are at for towing.

Also, if anyone here has any experience with any other models that they can recommend we are all ears.

We plan on taking friends with kids with us so sleeping up to 7 is a must.

Thanks for all the responses for far.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuwanger23 View Post
max tow on the trailhawk is 7200lbs

https://www.jeep.com/grand-cherokee/capability.html
You Jeep has to be properly equipped for that rating. It is not all of them.
UP TO 7,200 POUNDS OF TOWING CAPABILITY

Grand Cherokee has a maximum towing capacity3of up to 7,200 pounds when properly equipped. Trailer Sway Control9*(TSC) reduces trailer sway and improves handling in adverse towing conditions. TSC applies brake pressure on alternating wheels and may adjust engine throttle to help eliminate sway and maintain vehicle and trailer system stability.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Having dealt with all three you listed. I would eliminate the Jayco and the shadow cruiser.

Without going into too much detail, both of those trailers come from the factory with a myriad of issues and only a detailed tech doing a proper PDI would catch all the things wrong.

Not saying the bullet doesn’t have issues straight out the gate, I haven’t PDI’d one, I have done LOTS of the others.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #9
Kuwanger23

So we def settled on what features we want hence the models we selected so far. I guess we are looking for all the little things like which ones are higher quality. Which ones have the system that flushes out the tank from the outside, power levelers, ect.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Which Travel Trailer to choose?

Black tank rinser is an easy to install add-on if everything else is what you want. Not many light-weight trailers come with electric stabilizer jacks, and an electric tongue jack is another easy DIY upgrade. Good luck in your search and feel free to ask more questions. Buying an RV can be a daunting task, we spent 3 years looking until we decided on the one we have now.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #11
DanaJan

We raised our kids in a pop up. But had been looking for a TT for a few years that would meet our needs. We discovered the Keystone Passport Ultra-light Grand Touring 2400 BHS and fell in love with it. It has everything you mentioned. We bought it new in March and have been very happy! We are close to retiring but wanted the double bunks for grandkids. The bottom bunk also works wonderful as a bed for another adult without having to put the table down. A lot of storage space, too! Insist on the Teddy Bear mattresses. Very soft and comfy. We may need to replace the queen mattress, however.
DanaJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #12
Gary-n-Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaJan View Post
We raised our kids in a pop up. But had been looking for a TT for a few years that would meet our needs. We discovered the Keystone Passport Ultra-light Grand Touring 2400 BHS and fell in love with it. It has everything you mentioned. We bought it new in March and have been very happy! We are close to retiring but wanted the double bunks for grandkids. The bottom bunk also works wonderful as a bed for another adult without having to put the table down. A lot of storage space, too! Insist on the Teddy Bear mattresses. Very soft and comfy. We may need to replace the queen mattress, however.
From Liz: A comment on a new mattress. From our personal experience Mattress Insider in Colorado is the way to go. Excellent quality, made to the measurements you give them (they even call you to verify), you choose how hard or soft, and the price is right. Still happy after two years.
Gary-n-Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #13
JRWard

Trailer Size

I tow a 5200 pound (when empty) trailer with a GMC Yukon XL. The truck is rated for up to 8400 pounds. A long wheel base is a good idea. They are a good match. I would not want any bigger (heavier) trailer than that. You need lots of margin to tow comfortably. We have gone on trips as far as 1200 miles one way.
JRWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #14
fjr vfr

It sounds like this will be your first trailer? If that's so I would be looking for a used trailer where you don't invest much into, something like an Outback 21rs. You could get one in the range of 2009-2012 for about $8000. Gvwr on these is around 5,500 lbs. There are other similar trailers.

I'd plan on keeping it for one full season to gain experience. By the next season you would have a much better understanding of what you want and have gained valuable experience towing.
Also on another note, it seems to me your towing expectations are a little high. Imho, I wouldn't be planning on towing something at my max capacity. You always want to give yourself some wiggle room. When you start loading everything you want to bring you'll find it's a lot more than you thought and you'll end up over.
Good Luck whatever you decide.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:15 PM   #15
pikespeakviewer

You can totally put 7 in that configuration of TT. Each bunk can sleep 2 kids and 2 on the table/bed + 2 adults in the main bed = 8

As far as getting a new TT for your 1st TT, go for it! We did and haven't looked back!

But please don't get a TT that is close to the max weight for your vehicle - you want to have towing power to keep all those kids safe!
Old 07-22-2018, 07:30 PM   #16
Canonman

"You can totally put 7 in that configuration of TT. Each bunk can sleep 2 kids and 2 on the table/bed + 2 adults in the main bed = 8"
OR, Kids under 12 in tent #1 Kids over 12 in tent #2 Extra adults at the local Econo Lodge. Me and the DW will see you all at breakfast in the morning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2449.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	17579  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #17
bob91yj

My apologies, I was looking at the Cherokee Trailhawk numbers, not the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk numbers.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:24 AM   #18
Phil Saran

You've been given lots of good advice. I am a strong believer in buying used for
your first TT. I've owned 2 popups, 3 TT all used and even the "new" 5th wheel
trailer we have now is a 6 month old bank repo.

If you are buying new because you think the factory or dealer will fix everything
good luck with that.

In any case I hope you find the correct TT for you and your family to injoy.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #19
wiredgeorge

Buying your first trailer will give you a lot of important information on what is really important to you. We started with a truck camper. Taking a shower while sitting on the commode, the world's most uncomfortable dinette and condensation drip from the metal vent in the bed area convinced us that it was NOT the right camper. Went from there to a 22 ft Sunnybrook and it was a dream in comparison BUT no counter space in the kitchen and no place to store food. The bed was basically in the cabin so if I got up at 5:30AM (normal) and my wife wanted to sleep, I couldn't watch TV; only a curtain separating us. Next got a 5th wheel toy hauler. NO NO NO storage so everything went on top one of the two drop down bunks. No counter space. Everything was cramped. Now we have a 27' Cougar and the rear kitchen is full of storage and very convenient, the booth dinette is nice and we have a Lazyboy love seat; really the perfect set up for us. Took a number of campers to figure this out. The shower is actually a tub and cramped but put an articulating show curtain rail on so it ain't bad now. Also added a 15K BTU A/C and I think we have pretty much found our camper. If I bought a new camper (unlikely), I would know EXACTLY what to look for.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:39 AM   #20
Bubba5107

We have a 2017 Bullet 243BHS. We love ours and can sleep 4 adults and 4 kids without a problem. We too had about the same requirements as you do with the dinette, outdoor kitchen and we had to have a door that closed on the bedroom. We settled on the Mallard 245 bunkhouse or the bullet 243. What it came down to for us was the option for two tv’s inside and the outside grill came with the bullet.
Bubba5107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel trailer