Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2020, 09:40 AM   #1
Sherdewi

Key TV

Still can’t get the “ blue light” to light.
Can someone direct us on which fuse may be the antenna or should we just pull them one by one?
We did remove each cable and made sure they were all tight on the panel outside.

(sorry I couldn’t find my original post from a few weeks ago to add onto)

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D3AAEBB1-9D98-47F7-A37F-CDE23E72F164.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	28173   Click image for larger version

Name:	6C8A75EB-0771-4368-BBF3-993392E9CD89.jpg
Views:	1458
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	28174  
Sherdewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Look at the RED and BLACK wires coming out of the module. Is the RED connected to a wire that is white with a tracer color? If not then the module is connected backwards. If it is wired right, than you need to test for 12VDC at the red wire. I have a test light that will probe the wire insulation, if you have a Volt/Ohm meter you can stick the probe ends in the bell connectors and check for voltage. If you have voltage then the module is probably junk. IF you do have 12VDC then I would bet the power is daisy chained off another circuit. The 12V panel is all fuses, and you can test each fuse.

I was able to enlarge the picture and it looks like the module is connected correct. I have seen bad connections using those bell connectors.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Since 2015, Keystone has used standardized color coded wiring in an attempt to make troubleshooting and servicing units easier and faster.

Here is the link:https://www.keystonerv.com/upper-nav...r-performance/

I didn't see KeyTv specificly listed but with the color code you may be able to find what it is daisy chained off of.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:17 PM   #4
Sherdewi

Thank you, it’s hooked up correctly but the battery does in the multimeter. So we will have to check that next weekend
Old 06-28-2020, 04:38 PM   #5
Sherdewi

There is power to the multi source signal controller. But the light isn’t on so we are thinking the issue is in the controller itself.
I’m going to call the dealership and see if they’ll order us a new one
Old 07-07-2020, 06:23 PM   #6
Mmeyer

I am having the same issue, did the new mssc fix the problem?
Thanks Matt
Mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:15 AM   #7
ChuckS

if both of you folks have verified that you have 12 vdc power ON THE LEADS that go the the KeyTV module and the blue LED isnt lit then the box is where the issue resides....

There may be an internal fuse on the KeyTV module mounted inside the case on the circuit board but youd think they would have made that fuse accessible with a screw in cap style holder the use could simply check

With the KeyTV not powered up the OTA antenna will not work because the internal signal amp for the roof mounted antenna gets its 12 VDC power over the center pin lead of the coax cable running from backside of KeyTV module

You can remove that coax lead and measure the center pin of the female coax connection for 12 VDC... if it doesnt read over 12 VDC the module is bad

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:51 PM   #8
Mmeyer

So I took apart the Mssc the internal board is smoked. There is no internal fuse or a reset inside the box or outside. I removed all the cables from the key TV mssc box And install a 2 way splitter and got the antenna to work on 2 TVs. The black cable is the feed from the antenna the gray goes to my front bedroom tv the pink goes to underneath the storage container I didn’t hook this one up I don’t have a tv there, the purple goes to my rear living room tv.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmeyer View Post
So I took apart the Mssc the internal board is smoked. There is no internal fuse or a reset inside the box or outside. I removed all the cables from the key TV mssc box And install a 2 way splitter and got the antenna to work on 2 TVs. The black cable is the feed from the antenna the gray goes to my front bedroom tv the pink goes to underneath the storage container I didn’t hook this one up I don’t have a tv there, the purple goes to my rear living room tv.
I wonder if Keystone will replace it under warranty since you took it apart.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #10
Mmeyer

Not sure I have a email into keystone, My dealer I had bought it from has very bad service And a huge backlog so I would rather fix it my self than deal with them.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:47 PM   #11
ChuckS

Quite frankly Keystone customer service knows there is an ongoing issue with the KeyTV modules... they should do a recall on all of them and come up with an upgraded module that works reliably and actually does what it’s advertised to do...

Old 07-09-2020, 03:17 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Quite frankly Keystone customer service knows there is an ongoing issue with the KeyTV modules... they should do a recall on all of them and come up with an upgraded module that works reliably and actually does what it’s advertised to do...
I agree. It would be a deal breaker for me if I was looking for a new unit.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:34 AM   #13
CedarCreekWoody

My camper was manufactured a few months before they switched to Key TV. I beginning to think that is a good thing.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:47 PM   #14
RWRiley

I continue to have problems with my KeyTV. When I get to a campsite I scan channels and get a bunch of channels. Then while watching the picture goes blank. I re-scan and get ZERO channels. I hook up my $10 Walmart antenna and I get about 1/2 of the channels back. I've had the unit replaced, but the tech told me KeyTV is horrible, and they have never got one to work that had problems. This is ridiculous. I have been chasing this for over a year.
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 05:53 PM   #15
Roberta J

Angry Solution Yet?

We are starting our 2nd winter out in our 2019 Mountaineer320 and have the exact same problem as RWRiley. Have you found a solution? We are headed to a dealer tomorrow that Keystone recommended and I am ready with info from this blog (Thanks). Our problem is sporadic- scans channels one day, loses signal and will not rescan. Seemed that when we turned power off to entire rig it worked when we powered up again, but that just might be coincidence. Since it does work sporadically, we’re thinking coax is connected correctly-just a bad module.
Roberta J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #16
Sherdewi

Dealership said it’s fixed

Trailer is in for repairs, the dealership said the cable form the antenna didn’t work, so they replaced it. They claim it works now but time will tell as the trailer is wintering with themsince our seasonal campground is closed form the Winter.
We could never once get a channel, it wasn’t an intermittent issue
Old 12-22-2020, 07:18 PM   #17
RWRiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta J View Post
We are starting our 2nd winter out in our 2019 Mountaineer320 and have the exact same problem as RWRiley. Have you found a solution? We are headed to a dealer tomorrow that Keystone recommended and I am ready with info from this blog (Thanks). Our problem is sporadic- scans channels one day, loses signal and will not rescan. Seemed that when we turned power off to entire rig it worked when we powered up again, but that just might be coincidence. Since it does work sporadically, we’re thinking coax is connected correctly-just a bad module.
I still have no solution. I have read about this thing called a "Digital Cliff". The story goes something like this "When the sun goes down the signal from the station drops off". Sounds like some B/S to me, but at this point I have no idea what to believe. I would love to hear what your dealer has to say.
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:29 PM   #18
Roberta J

Thanks- it has been dropping signal in late afternoon which would support “digital cliff” theory, although I agree it sounds fishy. We were getting reception at night earlier this winter. Will try again in morning before going to dealer.
Roberta J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:25 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Broadcasters typically do reduce the signal output wattage after sunset and for many reasons. With an analog signal like radio stations or TV before the digital conversion the results are a "weak signal". The TV station might look fuzzy, or the radio station may sound staticy or "scratchy" with analog stations the tuner will accept any signal level.

With a digital TV the tuner looks for a signal strength sufficient to maintain a steady picture. If the signal isn't strong enough it will not process it and that station "disappears". On a digital TV when you see the picture "pixelated" or Freeze" what's happening is a brief moment of signal drop below a threshold of the TV to drop out that channel that doesn't last long enough for the TV to lock out that channel.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:48 AM   #20
ChuckS

Typically at night AM broadcast stations from further away are often heard when they are never heard during daylight...

TV signals are in the VHF and UHF frequency region. MUF (maximum useable frequency) is affected by layers in the atmosphere ...typically D and E layer...

Some TV stations could also be affected depending on their radiated power, antenna , etc....