Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2020, 06:17 AM   #1
zsulli

Need help with trailer plug wiring

I'm troubleshooting an issue where my 2019 Chevy Silverado says "Check trailer wiring" and "Trailer Brake Connected" over and over when the 7-way trailer plug is connected to my truck. The camper is a 2017 Keystone Springdale. I just bought this camper used, and the original owner said he was having the same issue so he replaced the trailer plug with a Pollak plug. I pulled the cover off of the Pollak plug last night to inspect the wiring and found a few wires had been cut into when he stripped the outer black sheath. I cut and reconnected all of the wires, and I just put it back like I found it, colors of the wires matching the color stamped into the Pollak plug for each terminal . I'm not anywhere close to an electrician, but i'm starting to wonder if the issue is the wiring in the plug was not actually arranged in the proper order.

I've attached two pics here, one is the 7 way on my truck, the other is a diagram of the way the trailer plug is currently wired. Can someone smarter than I offer some guidance?!?

I should also add the lights to the trailer are working, running, stop, and turn signals, even when the truck is complaining about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7757.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	27442   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer plug.png
Views:	260
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	27443  
zsulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:31 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

FIRST, STOP TROUBLESHOOTING ON THAT END OF THE PLUG. It's seldom the issue. Go under the vehicle, look at the BACK of that plug. You'll find a "truck harness to trailer connector" plug there. Disconnect it, clean the contacts, apply a quality di-electric compound, reassemble that plug and make sure it has secure contact. Then clean the contacts that are in your photo, clean those on the trailer umbilical, apply that same di-electric compound to both, then try the "truck's warning system" again...

Keep in mind that in some models that GM produced, there's a "light monitor system" that warns of burned bulbs through the dash, not just with a "quick flashing bulb"... On trucks equipped with the "light monitor system" (I'm not sure what they called it).. anyway, on trucks with that system, you'll get a "trailer connected" signal, followed by a "check trailer connection" signal (as the computer compares light bulbs for continuity) followed by a "trailer connected" that will extinguish after about 5-10 seconds...

So, if your truck is a "high end model" with lots of options, you may have that "monitor system" and the sequence above is "considered normal". It's not the same "dash lights" that you'll see in a "low end model" with a OEM TBIC.

Anyway, clean/lube the plug BEHIND the visible connector, hopefully the rest will fall into place.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:09 AM   #3
zsulli

thanks for the advice! i'm having the truck serviced today at a GM dealer, and they are going to hook up their tester to my truck plug and verify it's working properly.

my concern with the trailer plug is more of are the wires even connected to the plug in the proper place? if the wire that controls the trailer brakes is connected to the spot on the plug for 12v charging then that's the root cause of my issues. i just don't know what function each trailer wire is at this point.
zsulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:16 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's a diagram of "what's on what pin".... Make sure you're looking at "the truck end" or "the trailer end" and make DOUBLY sure that you've got the "keyway" in the proper orientation....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7pintrailer.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	27444  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:36 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

If it was not wired correctly it would never work properly or at all. Intermittent issues are usually a loose connection that connects or disconnects. I those systems it can also be not a total disconnect but a little corrosion causing a resistance that's above what the computer "sees" as normal.

As suggested check those connections under the truck and also the trailer. Follow the umbilical back to where it goes into a box. Open that box and check the connections for corrosion. I'd also plug it into the truck, have someone set in the driver seat and monitor it while you gently "wiggle" the trailer plug in the truck receptacle. When we first bought our 2009 King Ranch I had the same issue. Trailer and truck connections were different bands and weren't playing well together. I took a small "bungee" cord and wrapped the plug and secured to the truck. No more issues. When I got home I replaced one end so they were the same brand and the problem never recurred.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring