Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2021, 01:09 PM   #41
Bechard

I bought a Passport 2950 in September 2020 to replace our smaller Bullet Crossfire 2250, and yes I do now have the two dump terminations. The front one is the kitchen grey water, and the rear is for the bathroom grey and the black tank.

I do have the Y adapter, but unless you're investing in host supports to connect the Y adapter, I simply move my hose from one termination to the other. I always start with the back termination, dump black (with tank flush), and then grey, and simply move the hose to the other front termination for the other grey tank. Is it a pain? I guess a little. Still better than my old Bullet with half the tank capacity, so it's worth the trouble.

Generally we dump the rear grey tank more often due to showers. I did buy the Y splitter, but honestly it's not worth the trouble, as dumping black will send contents back up this hose until it meets the closed front termination, and then it's a pain to clean my hose out.

Someone previously asked what you do with the extra hoses. I've always had a few locking hoses. Once they are flushed with water (I also have a rhino blaster to finish cleaning up), I disconnect my now rinsed hoses, connect the ends together to lock seal them, and toss them into a plastic bin with a lid. Piece of cake, keeps everything sealed in the hoses, and I've never had a problem in four years of storing them this way.
Bechard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:14 PM   #42
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
Ok... maybe I'm not the brightest bulb in the box but why would you need a Y?
I leave my valves closed even at full hookup... as was recommended right on this forum... I empty one at a time... I keep the dump hose connected to the dump pipe, then before I leave, I empty my black first... then empty the gray tank that is on the same connector... then simply move the hose to the other gray tank and empty it... rinse out the hose, then put it away... two hoses and a Y...confused:
You may not need one the way you use your camper. I can see how it would be invaluable say if you don't get up and down too well and stay for an extended time where you would need to dump the tanks every few days. Everyone's own use use and needs can differ.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:22 PM   #43
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
You may not need one the way you use your camper. I can see how it would be invaluable say if you don't get up and down too well and stay for an extended time where you would need to dump the tanks every few days. Everyone's own use use and needs can differ.
I see your point... guess I never thought about the what if's... like I stated previously.. my only complaint about the two dumps was how far they were placed under the body... No lie, I had to get two 10" straight extensions to get them even close to the edge of the TT...then fabricate a bracket to hold them steady....but they put the valve handles just under the body edge..?? Poor design I guess..
thanks Flybouy, just didn't think about the physically challenged aspect.
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #44
Camping family

Quote:
Ok... maybe I'm not the brightest bulb in the box but why would you need a Y?
I leave my valves closed even at full hookup... as was recommended right on this forum... I empty one at a time... I keep the dump hose connected to the dump pipe, then before I leave, I empty my black first... then empty the gray tank that is on the same connector... then simply move the hose to the other gray tank and empty it... rinse out the hose, then put it away... two hoses and a Y...confused:
If you have a y you can connect both hoses to the dump tank and not have to move from one to the other.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:37 PM   #45
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
If you have a y you can connect both hoses to the dump tank and not have to move from one to the other.
Oh I understand the concept but I've never found it difficult to move the hose from one valve to the other... but if you prefer the two hose / Y pipe method, God bless...
Old 01-22-2021, 05:30 AM   #46
MarkEHansen

Quote:
I see your point... guess I never thought about the what if's... like I stated previously.. my only complaint about the two dumps was how far they were placed under the body... No lie, I had to get two 10" straight extensions to get them even close to the edge of the TT...then fabricate a bracket to hold them steady....but they put the valve handles just under the body edge..?? Poor design I guess..
thanks Flybouy, just didn't think about the physically challenged aspect.
Also, my second dump port is under the slide, so getting to it (and the dump handle) means crawling under the slide. This is not too fun when it's warm and dry out, but imagine when it's cold and/or rainy

So far, I've only dumped at the end of the camp so I do it after pulling in the slide. If I ever have to dump during the stay, I may consider pulling the slide in just long enough to complete the process. We'll see.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:56 AM   #47
81SHOVELHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Only problem I have seen doing that is build up of food particles in the tank. Can cause problems if the whole “pile” decides to move and won’t fit out the tank exit.
We dont full time &' only use kitchen sink to wash slightly dirty dishes. However 2 days b4 we break camp i do close valve to allow tank to fill for a good flushing. 7 yrs doing it this way with zero issues. Valve is behind rear wheel drivers side under slide & not easily accessible.
81SHOVELHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:10 AM   #48
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81SHOVELHEAD View Post
We dont full time &' only use kitchen sink to wash slightly dirty dishes. However 2 days b4 we break camp i do close valve to allow tank to fill for a good flushing. 7 yrs doing it this way with zero issues. Valve is behind rear wheel drivers side under slide & not easily accessible.
Chucks post about food particles is correct but I'd add that soap will also build up if left to set over time. I bought a hybrid trailer years ago that sat in a CG next to state game lands in PA. The owner used it as a hunting camp. He left the gray valve open and drained it on the ground for several years.

When I bought it I went to flush the tanks and had a clear drain line on the outlet. When flushing the gray tank there were chunks of soap that was flowing out. I ended up taking it to a carwash and sticking the wand in the drain to get it all out. Fortunately the drain was in direct line with the gray tank. The black tank entered the drain line from the side. It required a lot of quarters to get all that sediment out.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:42 AM   #49
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Chucks post about food particles is correct but I'd add that soap will also build up if left to set over time. I bought a hybrid trailer years ago that sat in a CG next to state game lands in PA. The owner used it as a hunting camp. He left the gray valve open and drained it on the ground for several years.

When I bought it I went to flush the tanks and had a clear drain line on the outlet. When flushing the gray tank there were chunks of soap that was flowing out. I ended up taking it to a carwash and sticking the wand in the drain to get it all out. Fortunately the drain was in direct line with the gray tank. The black tank entered the drain line from the side. It required a lot of quarters to get all that sediment out.
Good thing you didn't get caught rinsing the black tank out in a public carwash!
I'm also VERY glad I wasn't pulling in right behind you in that stall!!!!! YUK!
I also don't want to go in right after some dumba## cowboy washed out his horse trailer either!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #50
Ibdagriz

Quote:
I keep the dump hose connected to the dump pipe, then before I leave, I empty my black first... then empty the gray tank that is on the same connector... then simply move the hose to the other gray tank and empty it... rinse out the hose, then put it away.

I do the same on our 298RE as both are in front of the axles and easy to get to.

Griz
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:11 AM   #51
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Good thing you didn't get caught rinsing the black tank out in a public carwash!
I'm also VERY glad I wasn't pulling in right behind you in that stall!!!!! YUK!
I also don't want to go in right after some dumba## cowboy washed out his horse trailer either!!
Hu? I washed out the gray tank, not the black tank. Just soap residue, no fecal matter or to remnants. What I hate is finding out some trucker washed his tractor and covered the hose with the grease from the hitch. That's nasty and hard to remove from wherever that hose touches.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:26 AM   #52
clemson726

Mine has one black water pipe and one gray water pipe for two tanks. I bought a Y as well, but its about more trouble than its worth. While set up, if i dump the gray, then no problems. However, if i dump the black, then i have to back flush the black tank because there's nothing to rinse my dump hose that goes from the black pipe to the Y. When i'm at a dump station, i just do the black, then move the hose to the gray like normal. My two pipes are only about 2 ft apart. I've considered plumbing the gray into the black, but at this point it hasn't been that big of a deal on the short trips i have to take. I usually only have to dump once.
clemson726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #53
Sarge2

[QUOTE=MarkEHansen;430537]Also, my second dump port is under the slide, so getting to it (and the dump handle) means crawling under the slide. This is not too fun when it's warm and dry out, but imagine when it's cold and/or rainy

My Passport has the Kitchen gray tank under the slide as well... like I said, the handle was no problem to reach, the end / connector was another story.. way too far under the edge of the trailer.. personally I don't like to kneel or lay down to be able to even get the cap off let alone put the pipe on in the area of the dump station.. .. hence my reason for the 10" extension pipe... Now I can simply bend over and hook up the pipe... made a bad job extra easy...by the way on that gray valve connector I had to put a short 45 first as the pipe exited on a bad angle toward the ground.. so actually the 45 elbow is before the extension.. drains perfectly...
Old 01-25-2021, 05:44 PM   #54
Bill2e

Really not that big of a deal. Drain the black, then grey, then move hose to other grey. Easy.

Of course there’s always the Y connector.

Tags
sewer