Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2021, 06:56 PM   #1
LnS

Newbie 1st month experience

Good day all
I thought I'd drop a post about my experiences over the first 30 days as an RV owner. I'm new to RVing so maybe another newbie would find something useful in this.
I spent several days practicing driving about town, in empty parking lots and on the interstate to build those practical skills. Lots of yard camping to familiarize myself with the trailer and to work on 2 problems. 1 trip to a local campsite went surprisingly well for the practical aspects, I've got to work on my RV camp site socialization skills.
The first problem was self induced, the second was an equipment hiccup. Excited to work on them, relived to resolve them.
First problem; when I got home and hooked up the trailer to the house with a 15A 30A combination to 50A connector all was well while I was in there, but the next day there was no power in the trailer. After trouble shooting I discovered that only 1 of 2 phases was powered. The battery charging and lots of other important stuff was on the other phase. Off to Walmart and found the solution, a 15A to 30A connector and a 30A to 50A connector. Walmart has a small RV section that had what I needed when I needed it, check them out if you need something right away. That combination powered both phases into the trailer.
The second issue was that the incommand display in the HVAC screen did not have a valid zone temp, it was "-". Neither the temperature management nor fan modes would work.
I had read about display issues in the forum but not this one so hopefully this is my first useful contribution. After some web searching and more forum reading I decided to reset the BCM. The reset button on the PCB did not change the situation. I then decided to hard reset the BCM (as we do locked up computers) and disconnected the battery. Reconnecting the battery the display read correctly and the temp management and fan modes worked.
The camping trip taught me the new sewer hose connectors are tight and tough to manipulate with loose fitting gloves. I found a wrench that works well, I thought better fitting gloves would be difficult to get on and off while wanting to avoid possible contact with my excrement.
After the trip, we discovered a window frame leak while washing the trailer, the dealer fixed it. We will; test it again after the next trip this week.
Sanitized the fresh water tank as the upcoming trip has no water or dump at the site. It took longer than I expected to fill, then discovered on the rinse fill the water pressure regulator was ~20psi. Turned it up to ~40psi and it filled quicker as expected, not sure why it changed from the 40 psi I had set it to previously, something to keep an eye on. The preset regulators shouldn't have this problem.
Along the way I built an external storage compartment for the sewer connector, donut, gloves and wrench from a scrap piece of 6" pipe, a hose clamp holding 3 layers of screen on one end and a bungie cord and bolt on the other end to hold everything in while giving easy access and quick drying and zip tied to the A frame.
Additional LED lighting in the front storage compartment along with a rubber mat to add grip and floor protection.
Well that's the summary of my first 30 days, hopefully it useful to another new Rver.
LnS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags