Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #1
TazMcren

Replace Breakaway Switch

Good day all,

I have a 2018 Cougar 310RLS (5th wheel).

Yesterday I removed the battery trickle chargers, connected the batteries and plugged into a 20 amp outlet at my house.

I decided to replace the cable wire with a zip cable for the breakaway switch. In order to attach the o-ring to the switch I pulled the pin. Not knowing that the switch uses power from the trailer (I thought it had to be connected to the truck) I noticed that the switch got very warm to the touch.

After some research I'm guessing I fried the internal points and need to replace the switch.

I plan to splice the 2 black wires where they go into the plastic clip that is attached to the junction box located in the king pin box. BUT, I will disconnect the shore power and the negative lead of the batteries first.

Does anyone know if there is an independent battery for the switch or is the power supplied by the trailer batteries only?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brakeaway switch.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	32292  
TazMcren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:28 PM   #2
Cbrez

Yeah, I fried my breakaway switch last fall when I wired my new brakes incorrectly. There was only one wrong way to wire them and I found it !

I only disconnected the trailer batteries and all was fine. Of course I was not plugged into the TV.
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:09 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Break away is powered by trailer battery. It’s required to be that way and it’s against the law to tow a trailer that has electric brakes without a battery. I have seen transporters bring units without a battery, but I guess they are just lucky.

Doesn’t matter which black wire goes to which if your just cutting and connecting. One side is normally “hot” and the other side is wired to the brakes circuit ( usually blue).

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #4
TazMcren

Thanks for the reply. And here I thought I was the only one who wired things wrong..lol
Old 03-06-2021, 12:07 PM   #5
TazMcren

Hard to believe some people will risk their and others lives doing stupid things like that. Thank you for the wiring tip as I'm sure I would be scratching my head trying to figure it out!