Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2021, 07:15 PM   #61
SR71 Jet Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Thanks guys. I have long struggled with the choice of going to a diesel to reap its benefits vs all the issues they present without lots of cost and "babying". This thread and most I read don't give ME a reason to think I need one as long as I stick within the restrictions that a gas engine presents....which I can.
Lots of people prefer the gas, other the diesel. Really, the weight of my fiver could get by with a gas pickup, I just prefer the diesel. Personally I would not (as some forums do) “dog” someone for their choice in vehicle be it gas/diesel or the Ford/Chevy/Dodge thing. I think it’s petty.

As for “babying”, other than cold and additive (maybe) in the really cold, they really aren’t so different.

As for cost, other than an increase in oil capacity at 12+ qt. Oil and furl filter are roughly the same price. Of course fuel is a little more costly. Spark plugs and coils on the gas. And of course also the extra 12k upfront cost. I do service mine myself (so far).

Again I’m not promoting either, and not even remotely trying to start one of “those” arguments. To each his own as long as it works. It really sounds worse than it is (the diesel).

Scott

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:47 PM   #62
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks Scott. It is many times so hard to get an objective perspective of diesel ownership vs gas for an RV owner. I've done this for a long time and know the ins and outs of both types of engines. Your post was very objective and I appreciate that. And no, I don't need to be persuaded or "can't see the light"....I know what each means to ME. Thanks for your honest perspective.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:03 PM   #63
Badbart56

To me, it's really not so much about diesel vs gas. It's just that I love the power the diesel makes over what the gas offers. I've been hooked on fast cars since I was 9 years old when my older cousin took me for a ride in his 67 Nova with a Z/28 302, 4 speed. I wish I had the money I spent on cars since that day! But I truly enjoy having the ability to go fast (but I've never had a ticket) and always have! The diesels of today provide what I'm looking for. Especially with a little help from Gale Banks. Heck, my daily driver car makes 450 horsepower! It's all in what you like. I just like "more"!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:25 AM   #64
jasin1

[QUOTE=SR71 Jet Mech;437992]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post

Yes I did. I watched a couple YouTube videos on it and it looks easy to install. Yep blocks the front cam. I’m gonna poke a hole and try and dress it so it doesn’t Frey. Warm enough now it won’t be needed until next year so I’ll forget until I need it. Looks like it may actually help cold weather fuel economy to have it on also. I rarely drive my pickup in the winter so I’m not sure how much testing I’ll get to do with it.

Yeah it was actually not recommended to use them on the older pickup due to lack of cooling for the trans. I never had one for my 2500

BTW......
Now that’s a nice looking truck !
Old 03-09-2021, 03:48 AM   #65
Northofu1

Yes! Finally, a picture of the beast. Congrats and enjoy.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:51 AM   #66
ChuckS

ON my truck I drove it 500 miles before starting to pull our RV.. I also dumped the OEM rear differential oil before I towed and replaced it with Amsoil severe duty synthetic oil.. The OEM stuff smelled like crap and was already discolored..

IN 14 years of towing I have swapped out the rear diff oil one more time and it was actually quite clean and clear and no OEM stink odor... I also run the same gear oil in the front differential..

https://www.amsoil.com/p/severe-gear...4aAn93EALw_wcB

I have run Delo 400 and recently switched over to Costco diesel oil at $26 for 3 gallons... very affordable and made by Warren Distribution... very good oil.. with 149K miles on my 07 Duramax I burn zero oil between oil changes...

I'm not fond of synthetic oil in my engines as I don't drive enough miles a year to warrant the cost and will not leave oil in the crankcase past 4000
miles...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:43 PM   #67
SR71 Jet Mech

[QUOTE=jasin1;438016]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 Jet Mech View Post
Now that’s a nice looking truck !
Thank you very much! I am really enjoying it so far. Trying to get my miles so I can hook it up.

Weather is warming up and I need to get OUT,

Old 03-10-2021, 02:14 AM   #68
SR71 Jet Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Yes! Finally, a picture of the beast. Congrats and enjoy.
Thank you!! More to come when I can hook it up!!