Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2022, 04:26 PM   #1
SoCalAngler

"Arctic Barrier" - What does it mean?

I have these labels on the side of my trailer near the front entrance. What does the one that states, "Arctic Barrier" mean? Does it mean I can camp in the Artic Areas in comfort?

My rig:
2011 Keystone Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outback Labels.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	41952  
Old 10-08-2022, 04:55 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It means you paid a bunch of money for a sticker….LOL

It means there are some “features” not found in regular trailers. It may be a furnace outlet that blows warm air to keep the underbelly from freezing, it may be a foil barrier under the coroplast for the same protection. You may or may not have tank heaters.

There may be other things I’m forgetting, but IMO it’s more of a marketing gimmick.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 05:26 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
... What does the one that sates, "Arctic Barrier" mean? Does it mean I can camp in the Artic Areas in comfort?
My rig:
2011 Keystone Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Thanks!
Here's a page from the 2011 Outback brochure. Study the "build diagram" and the explanations for each item listed.

IMO, to answer your question, you would be "about as comfortable in Artic areas in your Outback as you would in a Colorado hunting camp tent. Sort of toasty, until the wood burning pot-belly stove burns out, then there's as much ice inside as there is outside. If that's your idea of "comfort" then the Outback would be "ideal"... If you expect more warmth, flowing plumbing that isn't frozen, holding tanks that will dump, windows that aren't frozen over with condensation and walls that you can actually lean against without sticking to the ice (think tongue on a metal flag pole in January), then you'd probably enjoy the "Artic Comfort Package" features.

It's a "catchy slogan" aimed at luring potential buyers. Nowhere will you find a "guarantee of comfort in Artic conditions"... In later years, some brands actually used a "cold test chamber" and posted the results in brochures. All of them exploited the positive results and down-played the "failing grade items"... The end result was statements like, "The new model is substantially warmer in cold conditions than previous models" (whatever that means) or "Artic Comfort Package tests show that it will provide significantly more comfort than the competition" (but they don't say if the competition was one of those hunting tents, a tent trailer or the competition's trailer with their version of a Artic Comfort Package.... So, it's all "marketing points aimed at separating you from your money without making any specific guarantee of performance expectations."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outback construction from 2011 brochure.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	41953  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 05:40 PM   #4
bsmith0404

I couldn’t read the brochure from the previous post, but as mentioned the arctic package can contain different items depending on the brand. Most common ones I’ve seen are in closed underbelly with a foil layer under the colorplast and a larger furnace. I can’t remember the brand, may have been outback or passport, but when I was selling, the standard furnace was 25k btu, the arctic package included a 30k btu. Basically, it’s not much, just a little extra to help make it more comfortable in cooler temps. There all still a 3 season coach.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote