Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
JNKS2010

A/C smells like its burning

Hi all, looking for some advise. we just completed our second trip with our new BUllet 243BHS and we were able to use the A/C and my wife and I both smelled like something electrical was burning. we turned off the A/C and the smell went away, a few hrs later we tried it again and each time about a half hour into the A/C being on we experienced that same electrical burning smell. Initially I thought that maybe since it's a new unit it maybe just breaking it's self in. Has anyone else experienced this with a new A/C unit? should we be concerned? should we call the dealer and take it in for a looksie? any input would be helpful. thamks!
JNKS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:02 PM   #2
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

I'd be concerned.
The simple answer is "take it in".

The investigative answer is to pull off the inside cover while running and see what's getting hot. There's a control box in there with some circuitry. With it NOT running, I'd sniff around (literally).. If it smells toasty, that's bad. You could run it and nothing inside should be hot to the touch.

Outside of it, which shouldn't really provide odors - there is another cover. The parts up there should get warm, it's part of the AC function, but should never smell like burning electrical.

Ideally these are breaker protected, but sounds like something is up with yours.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
JNKS2010

Angry still with issues

sorry for the late update. We took the trailer to where we bought it from, they an for 4 days straight on high, it was like an ice box, they said they could not find any issues so we brought it home. we camped again and all though we did not need it we tried it out and it worked for an hour or so then shut down and would not come back on, we recruited some help from a maintenance guy at the camping resort we where at. This gentleman was very helpful and found a wire that appeared to stuck into the fins of the a/c unit from, he pulled that wire out with ease and low and behold! the unit work for several days, we returned from that trip and we were elated that it seemed the issue had been fixed, so we thought ,

today we returned from an 8 day stay at Lake George NY. hottest week we have experienced camping this summer, and guess what? the a/c unit didn't work again , we elected the help of a camp ground maintenance man and was stumped. so we went 8 days without an a/c.

here is the issue, I do not think its an a/c issue, I thinks the blower motor is not working. when we turn the unit on using the thermostat, the a/c clearly turns on then it seems that the refrigerant starts up, however, the blower never turns on like it used to, the unit then turns itself off.

when the unit is off the fan blades that are accessible from inside the camper rotate freely if I turn the blades myself, once the unit turns on, the blades don't turn, if I try to move them myself they are no longer easily rotated, its seems to me and the maintenance guy that the blower motor maybe froxen or fried. taking it back to the RV place this week and getting this resolved one way or another.

2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain 5.3L V8 4x4
2015 Keystone Bullet 243BHS
Old 08-23-2015, 08:15 PM   #4
Alpine

We took the trailer to where we bought it from, they an for 4 days straight on high, it was like an ice box, they said they could not find any issues so we brought it home.

Did you experience the "like an ice box" or is just what "they" told you? If this is the case...make sure when you pick it up they have it running and stick around for a while to see if it is fixed!

Hope you get it up a running so you can enjoy your new rig!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:54 AM   #5
Pull Toy

With a 2015 trailer, it should definitely be a Warranty issue. I would take it straight back to the dealer and make it their problem. Don't try to fix it yourself, or they will say you voided the warranty by tampering with it.

Good luck!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #6
dcg9381

Note, there are typically wires that go into the fins of the evaporator of many units - these wires typically connect to a thermistor so the compressor knows the temperature in the fins... Prevents freeze-over.

Not sure if this is what you found or not...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
jamesmc321

sounds like a bad capacitor... should be covered under warranty if a 2015
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:23 PM   #8
JNKS2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
We took the trailer to where we bought it from, they an for 4 days straight on high, it was like an ice box, they said they could not find any issues so we brought it home.

Did you experience the "like an ice box" or is just what "they" told you? If this is the case...make sure when you pick it up they have it running and stick around for a while to see if it is fixed!

Hope you get it up a running so you can enjoy your new rig!
Yeah. They left it running till I got there.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:24 PM   #9
JNKS2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
With a 2015 trailer, it should definitely be a Warranty issue. I would take it straight back to the dealer and make it their problem. Don't try to fix it yourself, or they will say you voided the warranty by tampering with it.

Good luck!
Def not fixing anything myself.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #10
JNKS2010

Just an update on our A/C unit.

We went the entire summer without it. And it was brutal. End of August took it back to the dealer for the 3rd time and it was finally discovered that there was a burnt out "cylinoid"? In the unit on the roof. Took an hour for finding the issue then rectify it. It ran well while at the RV dealer. Let's see what happens next spring.