Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
Julie

Battery question

We purchased a 2015 Cougar in August. Our battery will not stay charged, when we unplugged it from power it shows full charge, The camper has been parked with nothing on and the battery shut off. We plugged it in the other day after being unplugged for about a week it is showing 1/3. What could be the problem?
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Lee

The first problem I found with my 2013 Cougar is that the battery disconnect switch does not truly disconnect everything from the battery. Investigate what is still powered.

You have a single battery?

It should last longer than your experiancing. You may have a defective battery from the manufacture.

Charge battery up to 100% then disconnect the battery cables from the battery. After a week check and see if it's down to 1/3 charge. If so, battery is defective. If it's still at 100% then something is bring it down.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
Julie

Yes, we only have one battery. We have tested the battery and it tested good but I will try unhooking it and see what happens.
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

When we had the Springdale, (equipped with one 12 volt GP 31 battery) with the battery cutoff switch in the "OFF" position, the battery would discharge in about 14 days. With the Cougar, (equipped with two 6 volt batteries) with the battery cutoff switch in the "OFF" position, the batteries will discharge in about 6 weeks.

Depending on what "parasitic" drains remain active when the battery cutoff switch is turned "OFF", in time, you will have a dead battery. The length of time depends on how your specific RV is wired as well as the condition of the battery. The only practical way to completely eliminate any parasitic drain is to remove the battery from the electrical circuit. You can do that by disconnecting one of the battery terminals from the battery or by installing a second battery cutoff device on either the positive or the negative battery terminal. Electrically isolating the battery from the trailer will serve the same function as removing the battery and taking it home with you. Either way, disconnecting one of the battery cables or installing a second cutoff should eliminate your dead battery problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
maverick_415

Check to make sure you have a deep cycle marine battery. My new RV actually came with a standard battery and battery would die quick so I bought a new deep cycle from Walmart and battery life is all good now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
We purchased a 2015 Cougar in August. Our battery will not stay charged, when we unplugged it from power it shows full charge, The camper has been parked with nothing on and the battery shut off. We plugged it in the other day after being unplugged for about a week it is showing 1/3. What could be the problem?
Old 12-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
Cummins_Puller

Sorry to hijack the OP thread, but I'm experiencing the same issue. Just bough a 15' Springdale 282 with dual batteries and they die in less than a week when parked at storage. But when I check the switch panel, it says 2/3s full. I know it's dead cause the radio display is off and the lights don't work. Not even a peep from the smoke alarms. Anyone know if I have that kill switch from factory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cummins_Puller is offline   Reply With Quote