Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2014, 06:09 AM   #1
grubby

just got her home

we just got our first tt home and im happy with the way everything went, we got a 2015 passport 2890rl and is only 5380lbs dry so it makes it easy to pull with my 14 f150 that i did not want to trade in, we got a huskey wd hitch, witch ill never belive they work but they do.
as i pulled it home i went on 4lanes and 2 lane back roads and it did fine pulling and stoping. you could tell it was there but not as bad as what most of the people were saying it was going to be. mostly the desiel moter heads that think there the only thing you can tow with. but anyway im happy with what we got and cant wait till we are able to go camping in it our first time
grubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:21 AM   #2
So Cal CPA

congrats and welcome!

I have a husky wd setup too and has worked fine for years. Like with all wd systems just make sure it is setup correctly.

Hopefully you can get to camping soon!

Best of luck.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:31 AM   #3
2014Fuzion300

Congratulations.
Bouncey !
2014Fuzion300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Congratulations on your new RV! I don't know what powertrain you have but I'm sure it will pull your trailer just fine. I pulled my 2014 319rls rated at 8000lb dry with my 2012 Ram 1500 hemi and it did just fine - I did install Air Lift 1000 air bags - and I did upgrade to a 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 simply because I was at the limit on my payloads. You should be OK-go have some fun!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
Javi

I have a 2890RL and I hope you have better luck with that 1/2 ton than I did with mine.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
grubby

javi what kind of problems did you have out of yours, was it the tt or the truck
Old 09-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
rnkburg

If it's the Eco boost engine I have never been more impressed with a has engine in my life. I have a 13 and it will pull whatever. Only issue I had were the horrible hankook tires that can on it. Once those were changed it became a different animal. It's too small to pull the raptor but it tows my 24 enclosed car trailer nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #8
bsmith0404

Glad you are happy with the setup. As for the diesel motor heads comment. I remember a conversation with my dad a few years back when I had my 2500 GMC with the 6.0 gas. I told him I'd never pay the kind of money they get for the new diesels. Well that was before I towed with one. The only thing I can say is that I didn't know what I was missing. I just wish the cost of diesel would go down. Wasn't that long ago that diesel was cheaper than gas. Now the popularity of the diesel trucks has pushed the price up to where I'm almost tempted to go back.........almost

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:04 AM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby View Post
javi what kind of problems did you have out of yours, was it the tt or the truck
With the exception of a leaking black tank the trailer has been fine.

I too thought my '11 F-150 handled the trailer well on its first tow from the dealer. However, once we loaded the trailer with our stuff it was another story. I won't bore you with the details but there are a couple of threads were I expounded on the problems of towing the 2890RL with my particular F150 and all of the things I tried to unsuccessfully fix the problem..
Old 09-15-2014, 04:13 AM   #10
paoutlaw

you will be fine. like most people that tow with a half ton pick up one or twice a year. you will get away with it probably. but as far as the people like me and others with the diesel that use their trailer every weekend the piece of mind of having more truck ie brakes to stop in a panic situation than you need and more power than you need. is worth a lot. so just take it easy. don't try to go to fast and dont tailgate anyone.
and have fun with it.
paoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Many first time RV owners will make comments such as, "I just picked up my new RV and towed it home. It tows fine with my (insert your model) truck. I am impressed with how well it tows."

We hear this comment more and more as new owners post their experiences.

Now, my question to any of those new owners is simply this: "It tows well compared to what?"

RV's don't tow like boats or utility trailers, so as a "new, first time RV owner" there is no experience base on which to compare "how well it tows". The new owner tows it home with no previous experience on which to base his towing sensations, so he learns that "this manner of towing is normal" and since it's "been that way since the start" he/she may well not even know "how an RV is supposed to tow."

We all are a product of our experiences. We "learn what to expect" based on what has happened to us, so naturally, if "slow starts", "bouncing truck", "high headlights", "squishy steering", "rolling sides", (the list goes on and on) are what one has experienced from the start, then for that person, that is "how an RV is supposed to tow"......

It's not until someone experiences "the other side of towing and RV" that a comparison can be made, so for a new owner to say, "My RV tows well." is only a "statement of experience" and quite often only means that the new owner doesn't know how an RV is supposed to tow.

I'm not "putting down" anyone, but simply making the statement that until someone tows a "properly matched rig" and can then differentiate the many differences in performance, towability, steerability, braking effectiveness, and overall sense of "stability and control" that they experience, their statement is simply "an opinion" based on only one input.

That is not a good way to make any "qualified judgment" but rather a "beginner's observation".....

As an example from my own personal experiences, I've been driving/towing RV's since the late 60's. They range from 20' to 35' travel trailers, pick up campers, pop-up campers, class A and C motorhomes, van conversions, but I had never towed a fifth wheel until 2010. I bought a F150 and decided to match a "properly sized fifth wheel" with it. We bought a Springdale 242, which is a small fifth wheel. Driving it home, my first stop was at the CAT scale (just to make sure). We were "at the upper limits", but not overloaded. Everything was "OK" and the rig performed better than I had anticipated, so "it tows well" was my judgment. We towed within Michigan for the following year, then decided to take an extended trip. Through the Midwest, southeast, up the eastern coast to Virginia, then back across West Virginia, Ohio and home. I was pleased with the performance and how "well" my rig towed. Through the 3 years we owned that rig, we towed it about 10,000 miles. I was "satisfied that it towed well."

Then, because of damage caused by a falling tree, we elected to buy a larger fifth wheel. That mandated a larger tow vehicle. We bought the truck first, then matched the new trailer to it. Because the trailer had to be special ordered, we had the "good fortune" to still use our Springdale for several months while the Cougar was being built.

Upon picking up the Springdale at the repair facility (with the F250), as soon as I pulled out onto the highway, I had an entirely new (and better) towing experience. Gone was the "push" from the trailer, the lagging acceleration, the roll from side to side when turning corners or in curves on the highway. Gone was the feeling of "a big box" behind me. The F250 felt much more "surefooted" the trailer seemed "more tame" and I didn't feel like it was "influencing" how the truck steered or stopped.

Simply put, what I had experienced with my F150/Springdale was my "perception" of how "it tows well" felt. BUT when I put that same trailer behind a more capable tow vehicle, that perception quickly faded into a realization that I had been "fighting a too small truck" all those years. Finally, for the first time, I had experienced how a fifth wheel is "supposed to tow".....

My point is all of this is simply to say to new "first time RV buyers" who try to compromise a "too small truck with a too big trailer" and when they get it home, make the statement, "On the way home, my rig towed well and I'm satisfied," I have to ask, How do you know it "tows well" since you've never towed a properly matched RV before. I'm thinking that in the coming years, once you have the good fortune to upgrade, you'll look back and think, "If I only knew then what I know now."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #12
bsmith0404

Even experienced RV owners will fall victim of this. I had towed a 30' and 35' 5er (8,000 and 11,000 lbs respectively) with a 2500 for several years. The TV was a gas and then upgraded to a diesel for the larger unit. Having experience with enclosed car trailers in the past I would say they both towed pretty much as expected. When we upgraded to our current Alpine, I expected a little more "push/pull" factor from the larger unit so I wasn't surprised when I got it behind the 2500, I also felt it "towed well", going home. After our first trip out I realized the extra size and weight were more than the truck could handle safely. Notice I said size and weight, it's not just the weight of the unit being towed, but the side effects from wind and body roll as well. I immediately started looking for a dually. The first trip out with our 3500 dually was night and day....The 40' 15k lb 5er was as nice and stable as the 8k lb 5er was behind the 2500 truck.

Could I have continued to tow the new RV with the 2500? Yes, and maybe have gotten away with it for many years and miles....or maybe the next mile would have exposed it's deficiencies. As already pointed out, my previous experience with the 2500 and the smaller 5er exposed me to how a 5th wheel should feel. It just took me a bit to remind myself and then admit that I needed to upgrade TVs. That wasn't easy, I really liked my 2500 and still miss it....just not when I hook up to the camper.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 09-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

My point is all of this is simply to say to new "first time RV buyers" who try to compromise a "too small truck with a too big trailer" and when they get it home, make the statement, "On the way home, my rig towed well and I'm satisfied," I have to ask, How do you know it "tows well" since you've never towed a properly matched RV before. I'm thinking that in the coming years, once you have the good fortune to upgrade, you'll look back and think, "If I only knew then what I know now."
I think that some first time RV buyers might try to compromise by towing a too big a trailer with too small a truck for a couple of reasons. For one, they already have a "small, inadequate truck" and simply don't have the financial means to go out and buy a larger, more suitable one. This might be especially true since they just spent tens of thousands buying a brand new trailer and can't handle any more payments.

Another reason is that have been told by the dealer, a friend, or someone on a forum that "you'll be just fine" with what you have. So after hearing all of this advice from those "who should know", what's left to decide? Nothing. And, as you pointed out, the 100 mile drive home from the dealership just confirmed what all of these experts have been telling me all along ---- "You'll be okay".

In addition, part of the inability or unwillingness to think ahead or think "bigger in the future" is a growing societal trend that says "I want this and I want it now". Waiting to satisfy your wants isn't part of today's vocabulary and is not something that not enough of today's generation are prepared to do. But I digress.

And finally I suppose there are some that, for whatever reason, have this truck and are bound and determined that they will make it "match" this trailer that we have just bought. Some look for confirmation on the forum that it will be okay". Some move numbers and specs around so that they justify their thinking. One way or another, they will make it work despite having asked for and received advice that it probably won't.

Interesting "stuff".
Old 09-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
Javi

And I didn't want to bore him with too much info...

Even folks like me who have been in and out of RV's, truck campers, travel trailers, 5th wheels and goosenecks for years and having pulled heavy trailers all over the West, south and central states with everything from a '65 GMC 1/2 ton to a Dodge Ram dually can be fooled into believing the hype of 1/2 ton towable trailers.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Festus2,

I think that for many "young buyers" (me included back when....) and for some "older buyers on a budget" trying to compromise a "cheap to operate every day driver" with a "dream come true" (oversized) RV, it's easy to fall into the trap of: Well, it's at the upper limit, but I'll be OK (if I just watch what I load).... Once we "white knuckle" the trailer for that first trip home, we rationalize by thinking, "Well, that's the way all "big trailers" behave, so I'll be OK.

The desire to get into camping coupled with the "I can't leave anything at home" concept of "gotta have a monster RV to be comfortable" leads many first time buyers down the road all RV salesmen travel... "BIGGER IS BETTER"... (translated, I make a bigger commission the bigger I sell)... Along comes the "promise" or "speculation" that "Your truck can tow anything on our lot"....

You're so right when you say that the "novice RV'er" comes here looking for advice, often doesn't like what he hears, so goes back to his "buddy", the "salesman" and his emotions, all of which are saying, "buy it, buy it, buy it, you'll be OK" and with the need for "instant gratification" they jump at the opportunity to get a big trailer for a compromised tow vehicle. Once "stuck" in that situation, all they can do is make the best of a bad situation, buy a fancier hitch, air bags, new brake shoes, leave the garage empty on their new toy hauler, or have to tow empty because they are overloaded.... But what the heck, at least we're RVing !!!!!

Sometimes I cringe at the "chest beaters" on forums who say, "I'm doing it, you'll be just fine" when in fact, they are novices themselves with only a couple of weeks or months of experience with one tow vehicle and one RV that they've towed, and then, only a few miles home and partly loaded to their first and only "camping trip"..... It's scary that "new comers" will accept the advice of this kind of "forum expert" thinking that it comes from a seasoned, veteran RV'er who has the experience of having towed more than one RV for a couple hundred miles.

Javi,

Just like you, I've towed for long enough to realize that I don't have all the answers, haven't had every experience and yes, I "fell for" the half ton towable "HYPE" just like you did.

I bought the Springdale, it was "OK" (at best) but I convinced myself that as long as I bought all the lightweight plastic blocks, chocks, only packed minimal tools, bought firewood at the camp rather than bring my own from home, didn't take the generator (unless I towed without fresh water) and various other "work arounds," I could "make it work"......

It wasn't until I actually had that Springdale behind an "ADEQUATE" truck that I realized how much I'd been fighting my F150 trying to make do.....

So yes, before you "bored him with too much info" I laid it all out there.....

So, to summarize: I'm not putting down half ton trucks, they are great vehicles for their intended purpose, but "HEAVY DUTY TOWING" is not one of those intended purposes.....

I'm "out on a limb" posting and discussing this kind of topic. I'm sure a lot of toes are feeling some pressure as I step lightly around the posts, but it's time to admit that if we don't say it, RVing will get more and more into the "lightweight tow vehicle/heavy-weight trailer"..... Sooner or later, states are going to start protecting the public from "those who are pushing the limit past being safe, and when that happens, I think we are all going to see rules and regulations enacted that "restrict" RV use and are aimed at those who push the limit past being safe and prudent. Unfortunately, those restrictions are going to make RVing more difficult for all of us. We all need to understand that as the roads become more and more crowded, we no longer are just "responsible for ourselves" but must also consider the safety of those who are on the roads with us as we tow our RV's. Our obligation to safe towing extends not only to our own rig, but also to the people we share the roads with as we tow.

It's the "new guy on the forum" who is seeking advice about being safe, the one that's trying to verify what his salesman is telling him. He deserves to know what we've experienced and learned (sometimes the hard way). They come here looking for answers, trying to do it the "right way the first time". Unfortunately, sometimes what they get is "another salesman's perspective" rather than the "sage advice" they deserve.

It seems that sometimes members post what looks more like an "invitation to join my misery" rather than advice on towing heavy duty trailers with light duty vehicles.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #16
grubby

i like all the advice, but what gets me is all the hype about me not knowing anything about towing and that im some young kid that just spent all my money on a camper i cant pull so i ave to bash desiels.
first this is not my first time pulling tt, ive pulled tt alot when i worked construction. when we had jobs out of town or other states we would use them instead of staying in a hotel
second we pull all kinds of stuff from lumber to dozers, and campers, i was just stateing that this is my first that i ave bought and im proud of it
ive pulled with rosd tractors to little rangers and i know desiels are nice for pulling and do good in most places but i dont want all the extra cost of a desiel, when somethig breaks it cost twice as much to fix, cost twice as much for fuel, well not that much but it is more, and i dont want that because this is my daily driver
and it kills me reading all this on here and people act as tho i have no money to get a bigger truck or that i can afford someting else, what does money have to do with it, nothing, i am in great shape with my money and i have no worries with bank notes
this is a place to help people and to inform people, and everyone but a few has put me down
im not impressed wit this place
Old 09-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #17
bsmith0404

Don't be offended, my experience on this forum is that we tend to give advice in general based off of a statement made by one or multiple people. All of the comments on this thread are not necessarily aimed at you, more at the similar type of comments that we see from many new members that come here. Also, you did throw out the diesel comment in your initial post. If you came here asking for advice on a TV, most will tell you to go with a diesel for towing heavy loads. That is not bad advice. There are many advantages to towing with a diesel. As I stated, I once refused to pay for one as well, now I see it as the best investment I've ever made. Of course with my current 5er, I wouldn't think of putting it behind a gasser

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 09-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #18
x96mnn

Grubby don't worry about it, you will be perfectly fine as long as something bad does not happen.

We have all been there and done that and you will be no different. Not telling you you got a great setup and will be fine is not putting you down, just telling the truth based on what we have already done. I am 200k into RVs and and TVs and had the you know what scared out of me twice with two separate rigs. I was absolutely fine until something bad happened.

Right now you got what you got, enjoy it. You read the comments, you made your decision, and you will find people who tell you your fine.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #19
greengiant

Grubby,
I'm quite sure the comments were not aimed at you, and that it is good advice for all of us to take in, so that we might mentor others before they get in too deep. They did not seem to be attacking you personally about whether you were new to towing or couldn't afford something different. I guess I'm basically reiterating what bsmith said, but I feel I wanted to back up the fact that it wasn't personal. If you keep reading on the forum, you'll see how often towing limits are debated.
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:53 AM   #20
Javi

This is the reason I've pretty much stopped trying to answer most questions on this and other forums. In fact I've dropped several completely.

No one was attacking the OP, but it seems that nowadays when someone asks a question on an internet forum all they're really wanting is confirmation that they made the right choice. And if anyone disagrees with their assessment, then they're being attacked.

Well, I've actually pulled a 2890RL with an '11 F150 and I've spent several thousand dollars trying to get the combination to work as it should. I put 10 ply tires, shocks, high dollar hitches and tried many adjustments. Some helped and some didn't but in the end, once the trailer was loaded with our personal camping gear, bedding, personal clothing, cooking utensils, food, drinks, chocks, levelers, jacks, camp table and a couple of folding chairs the trailer was driving the pickup.

It was by no means a white knuckle experience and the motor had more than sufficient power to pull the trailer, the brakes were also more than adequate. However, I never got rid of the feeling that the trailer was in control, there was no sway to speak of, just the feeling of very little control and a shimmying or waggle of the truck. If forced to I could have driven this combination nearly anywhere across this country, but fortunately I'm not forced to...

As I said, I've pulled heavy work trailers, nurse tanks, single and double peanut wagons, 30 foot pontoon boats, driven 18 wheelers with tanker trailers. flatbeds, and goosenecks hauling everything from horses and cattle to 5th wheel travel trailers and bumper pull TT and I've never felt that I wasn't in control until I tried that little 1/2 ton and my 2890RL.

My solution was to trade in the car with a bed for a 3/4 ton long-bed.. Funny thing is.. stock, right off the lot, no additional tires, shocks, airbags, fancy high dollar hitches.... nothing... not even weight bars; this truck will pull that trailer at 65 mph uphill, or downhill all day long without shimmy, without waggle, without sway, and the truck is pulling the trailer not being pushed by the trailer..

So.... there you have it.... No attack, just cold hard first hand experience from someone with over a million miles in front of a trailer of one kind or another over the past 51 years since I first got my driver's license as a farm boy of 14.