Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
SandMShall

Rust spots in the sink

We have a new trailer that hasn't been "hooked up" to any plumbing as of yet. I was doing a couple upgrades this afternoon and noticed a lot of surface rust spots all over the sink basins and across the top of the center support. Is this something that's normal? What should I use to remove it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
SandMShall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The same question was asked last week. Here's the link to that thread:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...highlight=sink

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
SandMShall

Took the wife to the storage yard where we keep our trailer to show her the rust that's starting to accumulate in the sink and noticed two large cracks in the sink. I swear these weren't there earlier in the week. Why is that happening? We have yet to even use the trailer and the sink hasn't seen any running water.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1400895804.808194.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	6081   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1400895831.790064.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	6082   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1400895858.679518.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	6083  
Old 05-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
2011 keystone

Time for a trip back to the dealer.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
SandMShall

Any ideas on what would cause this?

Old 05-24-2014, 03:32 AM   #6
SandMShall

Stainless Steel Sink is cracked

Took the wife to the storage yard where we keep our trailer to show her the rust that's starting to accumulate in the sink and noticed two large cracks in the sink. I swear these weren't there earlier in the week. Why is that happening? We have yet to even use the trailer and the sink hasn't seen any running water.

I'm contacting the dealer to get it replaced but does anyone know how this would happen?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1400931111.070460.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	6084   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1400931137.287775.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	6085   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1400931159.739823.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	6086  
Old 05-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #7
f6bits

The cracks look to be adjacent to each other. Is your counter flat? My only guess is that the counter is bowed and the cracks are on the peak. Clamping the sink down would put stress at those points.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:17 AM   #8
SandMShall

They are almost exactly identical in opposite sides of the basin. One is on the back and one on the front just to the left of the center divider. I checked under the sink and the cracks do go all the way through. I laid a level across the counter and it's all level.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
schrod
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandMShall View Post

I'm contacting the dealer to get it replaced but does anyone know how this would happen?

Yes, first of all it has to be the cheapest crappiest stainless steel made. Stainless steel by its name is basically stainless. This is from the nickel used in the steel making process to make stainless steel from regular mild steel. Using the smallest amount of nickel yields the cheapest crappiest stainless steel. That looks to be what you have for your sink. Most likely came from (yes you guessed it) China.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Yes, first of all it has to be the cheapest crappiest stainless steel made. Stainless steel by its name is basically stainless. This is from the nickel used in the steel making process to make stainless steel from regular mild steel. Using the smallest amount of nickel yields the cheapest crappiest stainless steel. That looks to be what you have for your sink. Most likely came from (yes you guessed it) China.
I realize you are unhappy with your Keystone product, but are you going to continue to bash Keystone every chance you get. Please, many if us are happy with our products andyou are not helping the original poster with his problem.
Sorry to hear about your sink. I would take photos and email them to your dealer. I'm sure they will step up and replace it.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #11
SandMShall

I already received the PreAuth and will taking the trailer for the replacement on Thursday. Hopefully I'll get an explanation on what they think the issue is.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #12
Kristi

Let us know if they have any idea what caused this, if it was just a bad sink or something else we might need to watch out for in our own rigs. Hope they get it fixed and back to you soon so you can get out there camping!

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #13
schrod
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
I realize you are unhappy with your Keystone product, but are you going to continue to bash Keystone every chance you get. Please, many if us are happy with our products andyou are not helping the original poster with his problem.
Sorry to hear about your sink. I would take photos and email them to your dealer. I'm sure they will step up and replace it.
Do you realize what you are saying? 47 pages of items pertaining to only TT. I do realize that some of these posts are people seeking information. However, and I am only hazarding a guess, most are dealing with problems! Such as Slide not working, Black tank leaking, sink cracked and rusting, bed framework sagging, etc., etc.
Now we know that the 5'ers have their problem forums also.

What I am saying is that maybe the OP should ask his dealer for an upgraded sink and not just the same crappy one that came in their brand new trailer that had not even been out on the road yet!
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Do you realize what you are saying? 47 pages of items pertaining to only TT. I do realize that some of these posts are people seeking information. However, and I am only hazarding a guess, most are dealing with problems! Such as Slide not working, Black tank leaking, sink cracked and rusting, bed framework sagging, etc., etc.
Now we know that the 5'ers have their problem forums also.

What I am saying is that maybe the OP should ask his dealer for an upgraded sink and not just the same crappy one that came in their brand new trailer that had not even been out on the road yet!
Schrod,

I'd urge you to read the forum rules located here:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=367

Specifically, please note rule #2.

Thanks,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-11-2014, 05:22 AM   #15
jsmith948

John - Thank you!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #16
SandMShall

Still no results from my sink issue. The new sink is on order and will be in on the 30th. During this time some interesting things have taken place while trying to get service from my local Keystone approved dealer.

I'm sure some of this is my issue since I purchased my TT out of state but the bait and switch I'm getting on labor is not what I would expect.

Initially I went through my out of state dealer and obtained a pre authorization to do the work which I passed along to my local dealer. They told me they needed their own authorization which they did. I left the trailer with them and am waiting for the part. Yesterday I received a call stating that only the sink would be covered and no labor. The labor would be 1.25 hours or I could do the work myself. (This timeframe was also given to Keystone)

This morning I received a follow up call from my out of state dealer asking how things were going, so I passed along what I've heard to this point. They were kind enough to call Keystone directly to see what could be done. When he returned my call he said Keystone had agreed to cover 8/10 of an hour towards the sink replacement. Cool right?

I then called my local dealer to let them know I'd like for them to do the work and I'd pay the difference in labor. I just received a follow up call stating that they've re-evaluated the situation and they feel it will be more like two hours to fix the sink. Are you serious?

My question is what can be done about it? My plan is to get the sink when it comes in and then tell them what I feel about the way they do business. The only issue is I'm probably cutting my own throat if I need something in the future.

I probably wouldn't have went out of states for the purchase if it wouldn't have saved my more than $5000.

Anybody have any advice?

Old 06-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #17
Festus2
Site Team

If you're the least bit handy, install the sink yourself. You were given this option by the dealership . It's not really that difficult providing it is the same size as the one that is being replaced.

If you don't want to install it yourself, another option would be to call your local house plumber. An RV technician isn't needed to do this job. Your own plumber guy could probably do it in far less time and for less money.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #18
SandMShall

I can install the sink. That ain't the issue.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

The issue, if I read it correctly, is that you're being jerked around by a "non-selling" dealership. I don't know how you can 'combat" that nor how you can get the dealership to change it's attitude. I sense your concern that if you "burn the bridge" and then need help in the future...... But, if this dealership is treating you this way now, the treatment isn't likely to change because you overpay them to install a sink.

Keystone agreed to pay 0.8 hr labor and supply the parts. Have you considered getting your original selling dealership to confirm Keystone's offer and coordinate the reimbursement? If they will, then you can "hire an independent RV tech" to install the sink and then apply for reimbursement through your selling dealership. That way, you've eliminated the "feeling of being used" and taken the offending local dealer out of this encounter without burning any bridges.

This is just one way of handling the problem, I'm sure there are many others.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-24-2014, 04:07 AM   #20
SandMShall

Exactly correct.

All the details have been communicated with all parties. I assume this is the reason my local dealer raised their estimate for labor after I let them know that I talked with Keystone and they gave me the .8 hours of warranty time. I'm not sure why since the are guaranteed the money, but I think they want to get as much as possible in an attempt to "punish" me for purchasing out of state.

I'm taking the sink and installing it myself and then discussing the issue with Keystone. Not sure if they care but it will make me feel better.