Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
Camp CA

Security Camera Advise

Planning to install security camera(s) on my new fifth wheel. Looking at a Reolink argus 2 motion detector(s) with batteries and solar panel (link below). I have a Verizon wifi router that I can connect to wifi, which will communicate to my cell phone with 2 way communication. The router can be connected to a power plug in the trailer powered from my inverter / solar panel on my trailer. The plan is to monitor the trailer while stored in a fenced and gated storage lot 1 block from my house. Has anyone done this and what is your experience and is there a better system? Any advice is welcome.

Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:40 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I've got two game cameras mounted at the pole barn where the trailer is stored. It's "around the corner from the house" about 1/4 mile away. We live in a rural area and the security lights at the house, on the pole barn behind the house and the security (game) cameras at the other pole barn "trigger" on a regular basis. Everything from a skunk to a possum, coon, deer, turkey, elk and bear have all triggered the cameras at both locations several times monthly. If you do install security cameras, be prepared to get "false alarms" not only from "critters" but also from other owners who park their trailers there as well as maintenance workers or even "short cut takers".

I'm not suggesting that you don't install them, just be prepared for the "false alarms".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:47 AM   #3
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
......just be prepared for the "false alarms".....
I expect false alarms that way I know the system is working.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #4
Dadwoolery

Nest Camera

We have a Nest camera system watching over our Cougar. It is a bit more sensitive than my trail cam was. We get notifications on snowflakes during the winter and bugs during the summer :-)
2000 Ford F350 DRW, 7.3 Powerstroke
Dadwoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #5
LHaven

Make sure you look at the Ring units. They're easy to set up, they notify your smartphone immediately, and they keep all captured video in the cloud so you can see what happened when you were asleep, had no cell service, or whatever.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:32 PM   #6
Roscommon48

You want input.....don't. If is not worth it. Insurance is there for the unkown. Enjoy other things.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #7
Brantlyj

I would recommend Amcrest camera’s. I have them on my home and really like them. It’s getting late and heading to bed so if you want more I do let me know.

Briefly, though they are cheaper, higher quality, tamper resistant than offerings from Ring, Arlo and Nest. And post importantly are on closed systems unlike those mentioned that use their own cloud services and have questionable privacy policy’s. Specifically Ring.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:15 AM   #8
notanlines

I'm inclined to side with Rosco on this subject. Our insurance company does the worrying for us and we don't.
Keep in mind, however, that I'm also the person who believes that every time a car/truck alarm goes off in the neighborhood everyone should get one good whack at it with a ball peen hammer.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:05 AM   #9
Northofu1

^^^ Jim is mean
It's cheap enough, looks good. I have Ring security lights, more pricey, but I really like them, I harass Serena when I'm at work and she's shoveling the driveway Lots of false alarms, but on the ring you can change settings to minimize them.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:59 AM   #10
Camp CA

Lots of great advise Here!! I maintain a low comprehensive insurance deductible and the side door access is blocked by the stairs since there is insufficient separation between my trailer and the adjacent motorhome to rotate the stairs out of the trailer. However, went ahead and purchased a solar panel powered Reolink Go as a vandalism deterrent.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:31 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Just a comment for thought on security cameras.

Several years ago we kept our camper at a storage lot very close to home. The manager lives "on site" above the storage lockers. They had 52 cameras on the premises. A drug addict broke into 29 campers. Ours was one of them and he did some $3,400 in damages.
Same guy returned several weeks later and repeated but ours was at the dealer getting repaired. The police had trail cams set up in the woods behind the lot. He didn't care. This guy hit 2 RV dealers and 4 storage lots during his quest for heroin. The guy was caught when he dropped his glove and needle at one camper and the DNA came back to a prior felon.

The detective I spoke with regularly (the thief postponed his trial several times and each time they had to serve a new victim summons) said this guy had been recorded on over 200+ cameras to no avail.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:19 AM   #12
Camp CA

I set up the Reokink GO camera with a 32GB micro SD card for storing data and a Freedompot 4G-LTE 2GB sim card with a one month free subscription. The camera consumes ~40 MB per day so 1GB of a monthly service plan will work if I turn it off while I am traveling / camping. A small Reolink solar panel keeps the battery topped off. The camera does not require a Wifi router. It is linked to my cell phone where I can see an exceptionally clear and full display of the side of the trailer and door on my phone and battery life via a Reolink app on my cell phone. The camera sends notifications to the Reolink app on my cell phone whenever it detects motion. A siren in the camera can be activated from the Reolink app on my cell phone.

Next step is to attach the camera and solar mounts to the trailer roof once I find out what I am screwing the camera and solar panel mounts into (plywood or aluminum channel under the Alpha rubber cover?) and whether or not that will void the roof warranty if I do that myself. Otherwise I will will have an authorized dealer mount them on the roof or I will mount them on a pole.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:19 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post

Next step is to attach the camera and solar mounts to the trailer roof once I find out what I am screwing the camera and solar panel mounts into (plywood or aluminum channel under the Alpha rubber cover?) and whether or not that will void the roof warranty if I do that myself. Otherwise I will will have an authorized dealer mount them on the roof or I will mount them on a pole.
Take a look at your Alpha Systems TPO membrane "pro-rated warranty"... All it covers is the actual "membrane" with no warranty on repairs, removal, installation, leaks or damage. Essentially, after about the second or third year, the "manufacturer's reimbursement to you" of the actual membrane is less than $300 and at 6 or 7 years, is less than $100 for a total roof replacement. So you're not "giving up any warranty" by installing the camera/solar panel yourself. That said, the only issue you might have with the Keystone 1 year warranty is damage or leaks "in the immediate area of where you made the installation"....

Keystone won't "void your warranty" on the roof at the other end of the trailer and any mod you do won't affect the warranty on any other component.

Talk to your dealership service manager/warranty advisor before doing the work, but don't let the "12 year warranty" cloud your better judgement about spending money to install the camera/solar panel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #14
notanlines

Northofyou, when DW and I travel through Aurora this August we’re going to drive by your RV and set the alarm off and then set it off again when it quits!
��
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:35 AM   #15
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Northofyou, when DW and I travel through Aurora this August we’re going to drive by your RV and set the alarm off and then set it off again when it quits!
��

You're more than welcome to.
There's a walmart right by me that allows trailer parking.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:21 AM   #16
BradLV

Look at Wyze cams. Cheap, durable and effective. I have both Arlo and Wyze and I prefer the latter. Lots of mounting options, sd card for storage and optional cloud storage. About $25 each, can even get them at Home Depot.
BradLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:37 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLV View Post
Look at Wyze cams. Cheap, durable and effective. I have both Arlo and Wyze and I prefer the latter. Lots of mounting options, sd card for storage and optional cloud storage. About $25 each, can even get them at Home Depot.
The Wyze cam requires a network and internet to retrieve images from the "Cloud" service.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:32 PM   #18
KRumm

Anyone have an outdoor battery powered cam that does not require a data connection to store video?
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:35 PM   #19
KRumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLV View Post
I like the wholes Wyze system (white the door alarm) but wish they had an outdoor camera too
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #20
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
Anyone have an outdoor battery powered cam that does not require a data connection to store video?
Look for "trail cameras" at a hunting goods store like Gander (ask for your Good Sam discount)