Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
Ranchhand

TST 507 Tire pressure monitor

So today I installed my tire pressure monitor and have a couple of questions that the instructions did not really cover for those that would be running the same system. It is a TST 507 with pressure monitoring caps.

Question 1. How many of you are actually use the anti-theft nut. I do not think the nuts are going to keep anyone from stealing them. If they want them bad enough they are going to figure out how to take them (more then likely would be cutting the valve stem which would be a bigger pain then having to buy a new sensor). I personally would not be real worried someone taking them.

Question 2. If I just turn the monitor off does that save the batteries in the caps from going bad prematurely or is there something else I should do to extend battery life when it is just sitting here in the driveway for the winter.
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchhand View Post
So today I installed my tire pressure monitor and have a couple of questions that the instructions did not really cover for those that would be running the same system. It is a TST 507 with pressure monitoring caps.

Question 1. How many of you are actually use the anti-theft nut. I do not think the nuts are going to keep anyone from stealing them. If they want them bad enough they are going to figure out how to take them (more then likely would be cutting the valve stem which would be a bigger pain then having to buy a new sensor). I personally would not be real worried someone taking them.

Question 2. If I just turn the monitor off does that save the batteries in the caps from going bad prematurely or is there something else I should do to extend battery life when it is just sitting here in the driveway for the winter.
The anti theft locks also work to keep the sensors on the stems if there is any vibration.
On my system (Tiretraker 400) the button batteries last about 1 year so I think there is a constant drain. YMMV

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:58 AM   #3
ChuckS

Been using 507 system for 7 years now. I use the anti theft covers as it helps keep dirt and water out of senders I also have all metal high pressure valve stems.

The batteries on the senders will stay active as long as senders are on the valve stem. I leave mine on year round. I replace the batteries every two years

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I did not use the "theft deterrent " and have not heard of anyone stealing them. As for the batteries remove and store indoors. As a practice I remove ALL batteries from EVERYTHING. This includes remotes, clocks, lights, ext. A leaking battery makes a mess at best and worst case ruins everything it comes in contact with.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #5
tech740

I do not use the nuts. I have the tire minder system that only uses battery when the tire is spinning. I have about 6-7k miles on mine and they have not vibrated off or anything like that. Depending on how long the trailer is you may need a boost though. My last trailer was 36’ and it worked as is. My new trailer is 43’ and I had to add a booster.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #6
GHen

I have the anti theft nuts on, to protect against the curiosity of the neighbor kids, locks only keep honest people honest. There is no disadvantage to leaving them on.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:58 PM   #7
Ranchhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
I have the anti theft nuts on, to protect against the curiosity of the neighbor kids, locks only keep honest people honest. There is no disadvantage to leaving them on.
The disadvantage for me is if the wife and kids take it somewhere and she has to put air in a tire she will have to deal with the jam nut. Just see it being a PITA for her
Old 02-02-2020, 03:07 PM   #8
fjr vfr

What am I missing? I hope this doesn't seem dumb, but I have 507 sensors and as far as I see they just attach using the special wrench that comes with them. The head spins around, but I see no way to use them otherwise? What anti theft nut? Do you have a different version than mine?
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #9
Ranchhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
What am I missing? I hope this doesn't seem dumb, but I have 507 sensors and as far as I see they just attach using the special wrench that comes with them. The head spins around, but I see no way to use them otherwise? What anti theft nut? Do you have a different version than mine?
The Anti-theft is just a nut that comes with the kit that you thread on to the valve stem before you thread on the sensor. Once you thread the sensor on you tighten the nut up to the bottom side of the sensor. Supposedly locking the sensor to the valve stem and then you have to loosen the nut with the supplied wrench to get the sensor of to put air in the tire.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:48 PM   #10
travelin texans

Never used the anti theft caps, too big of PITA the add air especially on a dually. Never lost a sensor to theft or any other issue. Left them installed 100% of the time on all 10 wheels, 6 on the truck & 4 on the 5th wheel, turning off monitor when not driving & batteries would last a year or more.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #11
FlyingAroundRV

I have the flow thru sensors and use the anti-theft locknuts, more for vibration protection than theft.
One thing I found, I must have over tightened one or had a weak stem as the stem split at the threads when I bumped the sensor taking the wheel off.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:30 PM   #12
GHen

I have the flow through also.....if you don’t, I can see how it would be a problem if you need to take them off to add air.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:44 PM   #13
SummitPond

When I called the "factory" about a different issue I asked about the nuts. They said not to use them unless I was camping in an area that I was particularly worried about the locals walking off with the sensors. They stated the nut would make it a challenge to get the sensor off the tire in a hurry if there was a need to do so. I haven't used them since.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:01 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
When I called the "factory" about a different issue I asked about the nuts. They said not to use them unless I was camping in an area that I was particularly worried about the locals walking off with the sensors. They stated the nut would make it a challenge to get the sensor off the tire in a hurry if there was a need to do so. I haven't used them since.
I agree with the first part, and for me, it's more a matter of personal choice than necessity, so no arguments with using/not using the nuts...

But, that said, for the life of me, I can't imagine any condition that would "require me to deflate a tire in a hurry".... Can you???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:41 PM   #15
fjr vfr

I never got any locking nuts with my system. I guess that's why I don't know about them.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:17 PM   #16
Brantlyj

How many are using the flow thru sensors. Watching a few videos it looks like they stick out pretty good. Like rotating curb feelers.

Anyone have any issues with them getting damaged? I’ll be ordering soon and not sure if I want standard caps or flow through. Also not sure if I want sensors for the truck as well.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:37 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
How many are using the flow thru sensors. Watching a few videos it looks like they stick out pretty good. Like rotating curb feelers.

Anyone have any issues with them getting damaged? I’ll be ordering soon and not sure if I want standard caps or flow through. Also not sure if I want sensors for the truck as well.
Most likely your truck has the factory sensor's already viewed from the DIC so you'd just be doubling up. If not factory equipped, YES get them for the truck also.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:50 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

If your 2016 F250 is like my 2015 F250, I don't believe you can change out the valve stems to metal stems that will support the weight of an aftermarket TPMS cap. If you remove the OEM valve stems (with the TPMS system inside the wheel attached to the valve stem) you'll have to have the computer 'reflashed" to turn off the factory TPMS warning light (or cover it with tape so you don't see it). I don't believe you'll find a dealership that will "disconnect a safety device" and I'm not sure that they could "legally do it anyway".... Think about a dealership turning off the seatbelt interface, none that I know would modify your truck to remove a safety feature.

So, in short, I don't think the existing valve stems on your truck would support the TPMS caps without bending and I don't think you can turn off the OEM TPMS and I don't think you can change out the valve stems without modifying the OEM computer settings. I don't think you'd gain anything in the process and may create problems with broken/leaking valve stems. The TPMS stems aren't cheap to replace and you have to "remove the tire to change them out.

I wouldn't recommend the aftermarket system for your truck. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #19
bobbecky

I had a factory valve stem fail last year on our truck, and after talking to the fellow at the Discount Tire store, decided to replace the factory TPMS sensors with aftermarket ones with metal stems. These aftermarket sensors use the same frequency as the factory sensors and the truck doesn't know the difference. The sensors were still working fine, but they don't have metal replacement stems for the GM sensors and besides, the battery life of the sensors were getting close to the end of their life. $260 to replace all four sensors with metal stems.
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #20
FlyingAroundRV

I have the flow through sensors. When I put them on I was concerned about the length of them too. We never get close enough to curbs for them to catch, but I did catch one with the tire wrench once and broke the valve stem. We have almost 20,000 miles on ours with no other problems.
A lot of people reccommend metal valve stems, but they don't fit our rims as the valve stem holes on ours are countersunk.
I'm glad I went for the flow through sensors because it's easier to fill the tires. Every time I put the sensors on or take them off, a little air escapes which would make getting the correct pressure right a bit tricky with the caps.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote