Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2020, 09:40 AM   #1
Global Driver

Shocks and Struts Replacement

To the Brethren of the Third Towing Order.....

I have a 2015 Suburban in need of new shocks and struts.
It has after market 22" wheels and air bags under the back. Many of the replacement models don't support the 22" wheels. Also, the rear air bags seem be limited in choices.

What brands are you all using and/or staying away from?

Arnaut seems to have a negative reputation per the tech I spoke to this morning.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-07-2020, 03:11 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

What’s on there now?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Aledo? Go by the cutoff all the time on I20.

Some thoughts; 22" wheels to tow a heavy, 30'+ trailer? IMO those things are for show and the street, not strapping thousands and thousand of pounds on them....they look thin and fragile; got any numbers on their capability?

What tires are on the rims? You could get very low profile and still maintain close to the OE height I imagine. If you did however you would probably bust the trailer, truck and your kidneys trying to tow.....along with blowing out a tire every 100 miles or so I've ran 20s for the last 6 years and want 18s back. Unfortunately I just bought a new truck, the only one I could find close to what I wanted in the last 6-8 months, and it has 20s again!

If you've maintained close to OE height on tires shocks in the range of the OE size will work. If you have enlarged the height you will have to do some measuring since you will kind of be in one off territory.

Shock brand for me is Bilstein - put them on the truck I just traded in 6-8k miles ago. I suppose you can get them for a Suburban.

I figure the air bag options are slim for a Suburban because people don't use them to tow heavy enough stuff to require them. I'm not sure what the 22" rims would have to do with the air bags since the body height over the axle/springs wouldn't change with the wheels...unless you've done something with the offsets which can/will cause issues. I've used AirLift airbags along with many others. I think Firestone may be popular. You might also look into Sumo Springs. Don't know if the offer them for a Suburban but they look interesting and a friend who is the GM of a Ram dealership told me they recommend them and install then all the time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:13 PM   #4
Global Driver

The previous owner put the airbag struts and 22" wheels on this truck.
I ran into a predicament with too many kids/rearends to haul around for my Silverado. I sold my truck and bought the Suburban with the 3.42 gears to up the max trailer towing capacity to 8,400lbs. I bought the Passport with a weight of 5430lbs considering the gear plus us would still keep us less than 80% of max weight. As the kids get bigger, I will have to adjust and get the bigger truck, but
I've towed ol' bessie 2200 miles and had no issues. I know she's back there unlike you 7500 Diesel pushers who forget your trailer is back there!!

Vehicle Weight 3314
GCWR 14,000lbs
Trailer weight 5430lbs
Us = 2 adults and 5 kids; oldest is 13 plus goods and food

Many of the replacement shocks specifically say they aren't compatible with the 22" wheels and some will create a 2" lift in the front.

We live about 5 miles southwest of Aledo in the country. We love it out here but many Kalifornyuh people are starting to like it too! Texas is unbelievable for the number of state parks and things to do for the kids. I love that they are experiencing the camping/glamping lifestyle as they grow up. Growing up, my old man thought the Fairfield Inn is roughing it in the woods. I like my Marriotts and Renaissance when I travel for work.....but give me my family, ol bessie and my fly rod out in the boonies anytime.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:54 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Driver View Post
I ran into a predicament with too many kids/rearends to haul around for my Silverado. I sold my truck and bought the Suburban with the 3.42 gears to up the max trailer towing capacity to 8,400lbs. I bought the Passport with a weight of 5430lbs considering the gear plus us would still keep us less than 80% of max weight. As the kids get bigger, I will have to adjust and get the bigger truck, but
I've towed ol' bessie 2200 miles and had no issues. I know she's back there unlike you 7500 Diesel pushers who forget your trailer is back there!!

Vehicle Weight 3314
GCWR 14,000lbs
Trailer weight 5430lbs

Many of the replacement shocks specifically say they aren't compatible with the 22" wheels and some will create a 2" lift in the front.

We live about 5 miles southwest of Aledo in the country. We love it out here but many Kalifornyuh people are starting to like it too! Texas is unbelievable for the number of state parks and things to do for the kids. I love that they are experiencing the camping/glamping lifestyle as they grow up. Growing up, my old man thought the Fairfield Inn is roughing it in the woods. I like my Marriotts and Renaissance when I travel for work.....but give me my family, ol bessie and my fly rod out in the boonies anytime.

Lots of places to use that fly rod but try the San Juan river in northern NM or maybe move up to Platoro, CO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:07 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Driver View Post

Vehicle Weight 3314
GCWR 14,000lbs
Trailer weight 5430lbs

Danny asked the questions about the tire/rim capacity. Changing the rims, tires and suspension components can decrease the capacity of the suspension. Another serious consideration when increasing rim diameter is braking. A big mistake often made is not compensating for the added rotational mass when increasing rim diameter. Adjusting the speedometer is another neglected item as well.

Purchasing a used vehicle with those aftermarket mods leaves a lot of unknown's in my mind. I wouldn't hitch up anything without answering those questions much less strap my wife and kids in it.
JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Marshall brings up some valid and extremely critical safety points. Not knowing the capacity of the larger rims, the "thinner tire diameter" and the changes they've made to the way the suspension works, I'd also be very concerned with loading the vehicle "to maximum capacity" with my family onboard....

As for replacement shocks/air bags, I'd first ask this: Since the tire flex is a part of "shock absorption", when you removed a sidewall ratio of 70 or 75% of the tread width and installed the same diameter tires with a sidewall ratio of 35 or 40%, you removed about half of the flexibility if the tire sidewalls, a significant part of the overall "shock absorption" of the vehicle. You may find that no shock absorber is capable of providing a "maximum load capacity" AND "take up the loss of tire sidewall flex" to provide vehicle control in emergency situations when at "maximum GVW"....

I'd seriously consider returning the vehicle to OEM wheel/tire/shock specifications if you're going to tow at maximum vehicle loading with your family onboard. Otherwise, I'd contract with an experienced and legitimate vehicle engineering firm to assess how well the current wheel/tire/shock/braking system provides the vehicle safety you need at maximum loads.

You may never have an issue, but, "what if" ???? Imagine towing at 65MPH, having to avoid a car, a person or a deer in the middle of the road, slamming on the brakes, veering violently to prevent a crash and as the tire sidewall/shock absorbers can't cope with the weight shift, the vehicle starts hopping/skipping and the forces cause one of those "oversize wheels" to break and separate from the hub????? For me, that's not a situation I'd want to risk "for a cool looking truck" with my family onboard.....

There's a lot to be said about the tremendous hours/days/months/years of "automotive engineering and testing" that goes into building an OEM suspension system. Changing it with "parts that fit, but haven't had engineering consideration and testing" can be a disaster in an emergency. All the truck manufacturers spend years testing their vehicles for this type situation. I don't know of anyone who tests "cool looking stuff" that you can piece together to create a "sweet ride" …..

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:19 PM   #8
bsmith0404

No need to repeat what everyone else has already said. I’ve always switched to Bilstein shocks when I upgrade. You can call them and explain what your situation is, they have tech support that can help you get the right shock for your needs
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:44 PM   #9
fbird77

The tire capacity is on the tire, so you should now if the tires can hold the load, the x factor is the rims. You could do the math or look up the tire specs for the diameter and know if the speedo is off and by how much.
fbird77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:19 AM   #10
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

I bet that thing rides like a rock LOL
Personally 22 look nice BUT not practical. With 22's the sidewalls are not very flexible and I am sure the ride is harsh. On the other side the truck will be super maneuverable because of less sidewall flex. I know it may not be in the budget but I would go back to the stock tire and rim combo get the correct shocks for towing and be done with it.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:16 AM   #11
Global Driver

Thanks for all the replies.
I found a part for part swap for the air shocks for the rear. I upgraded the front struts to the Rancho 5000 series. The truck does ride stiff.....but I don’t expect a Cadillac type ride.

As for the fashion over function, I get the argument. I never have nor intend to tow at max weight. 80% is my personally set max.

I’ve had a few of the hit the brake moments and the trailer brakes with the truck brakes did an amazing job. Never had a “white knuckle” moment that y’all speak of. I’m sure the truck would have a tough time hauling up in the hills, but we don’t have that on the list right now.

As the kids get bigger, or more weight, I’ll upgrade back into the truck. Then we’ll end up taking two vehicles when we go camping.
Global Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #12
skmct

The suburban is built on the gm 1500 series pickup frame. I think the air bags would be the same.Check about part interchange ability on a auto parts supply web site like rock auto.com
2014 Montana HC 318 RE
B&W Turn over with companion
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote