Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #1
Cedar

Future RVer

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new TT. After much research I must say I’m kinda hesitant. I’m gonna spent 20-40 grand on something that may have a roof leak a month after I buy it??? Why is the quality of rvs such garbage? Am I over reacting or expecting too much considering I’m going to spend THOUSANDS of dollars?
Cedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
MattE303

I don't think you're overreacting or expecting too much, but realistically, it seems that RV manufacturers are selling their product as fast as they can build them, and it's more cost effective to build them fast and careless, then fix issues after the fact if/when someone complains. This seems to be true with all the major brands, even the more expensive ones. There are a handful of "boutique" manufacturers that build a higher quality product but you will pay a lot more for a lot less in terms of "features" on those trailers, and have a *much* smaller range of choices for sizes, floorplans, etc. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you to go that route. Most of us just do the best we can to find a major manufacturer model that fits our needs and has a relatively good record of not having major issues, do a very thorough job of checking it out during the pre-delivery inspection, and be prepared for the fact that you may need to fix some small stuff yourself.

Hopefully, if your trailer does have major issues that aren't caught in the PDI (or don't develop until after that), they will come up while it's still in the warranty period.

Once you're out of the warranty period, if you're relatively handy and have basic tools you can do a lot yourself to repair and maintain things. Depending on the quality, proximity, and work load of the dealer you purchase it from, you're usually better off having them do stuff only as a last resort. If you're completely unable or unwilling to do basic stuff yourself, owning an RV might not be for you. It really isn't that bad though for the most part, and having internet resources like this forum are a game changer in terms of figuring out how to take care of your RV and troubleshoot problems.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

The best way to remedy this anxiety is to do a very thorough PDI. And dont sign anything until you are satisfied that everything is as you expect it to be.

This won't prevent every issue but it goes a long way. Also, remember, there are a lot of folks who never have any issues with their trailer that you never read about.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!

As an RV tech, I can assure you that weather you spend 20K or 450K on a new unit, they all can have issues. Key is the dealership addressing them prior to delivery. As stated do a complete inspection before you sign, and get any promises in writing.

Owning an RV comes with some owner responsibilities. Read the owners manuals and understand the exclusions. Other than that, enjoy the nice memories.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
Canonman

Welcome Cedar!
Something to consider, "2017 wholesale RV shipments reached their highest annual level on comparable record at 504,600 units, a 17.2% increase over 2016."
1/2 a million Rv's a year. Of course we don't hear much about the folks who experience a few small warranty issues. We do hear loud and clear from the folks with major systems or parts problems.
Now, couple that with the extremely competitive nature of the RV industry. Manufacturers are having to build units faster, more efficiently and with more features than ever before while still maintaining a competitive price point.
IMHO the most important thing to consider when buying an RV (after deciding on the perfect model for your needs) is the reputation of the selling dealer. The issue being how will they, the dealer, handle your warranty repair claims when they happen. NOT If, but when. They will happen. With all the vibration involved in traveling down our highways and byways, the lightweight materials used in construction plus the everyday wear and tear...Well you get the point. A good dealer, with a reputable service staff will make or break your RV ownership experience. Have the sales person introduce you to the service manager. Get his name and contact info. Get aquatinted with your service advisor. Do a competent PDI and learn the features and complexities involved with your RV. My experience has been the dealer is the best advocate for the buyer to the manufacturer. Treat your dealer service folks with honesty and respect and expect nothing less in return. Like any true partnership both parties are responsible for maintaining the relationship!
Welcome to the RV family! Get ready for some great experiences and travel memories
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2449.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	19707  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Cedar, I will echo what the others have said.

Familiarize yourself with the features you want and need in an RV. Think ahead about how things will change and how you can best anticipate that with your RV selection. It will greatly enhance your enjoyment of the unit you pick.

Become very intimate with the PDI list on this forum and make the dealer aware you will be wanting to go through it with them. Make sure they make their own inspection prior to you taking ownership and ask them for the punch list of items they found and what was done to fix them. If they don't do a thorough inspection to repair all issues PRIOR to you getting the unit that would be a deal breaker for me.

Prior to signing the contract have the salesman introduce you to the service manager and service advisor. Ask the manager the above question along with detailed questions about how they perform the inspection and their expectation of their own work. If they say "we try" etc. I would be a little skeptical or worried. Watch and read them as you have the conversation; do they listen to you? Do they seem competent? Are they interested in you, your questions and you becoming their customer? I put a lot of stock in my ability to read people - hopefully you can do that as well.

As was said, the dealer is THE key component that will make or break your enjoyment of your RV so do your due diligence and make sure they are above reproach. Keystone IS NOT the one that will determine if you have a great experience, it is the dealer. They are your interface to Keystone (or any other manufacturer)and their relationship and ability to communicate with them is key.

Don't worry about wasting your money....you are in the respect that it will start depreciating the minute you sign the dotted line. But, if you do all the things that have been mentioned in this thread, you have minimized the possibility of your getting something that will be a headache from the minute you take it.

Like a home, don't expect an RV to come without issues and things that have to be fixed as routine maintenance. It really helps to be handy with tools and the more you can fix yourself, reducing your dependence on the dealer, the happier you will be. If you intend to travel around I can assure you that trying to find a dealer, which will require you to give them the trailer, then waiting on getting something fixed is a non starter for most folks.

Back to your concern of wasting your money...don't. The doors that having the trailer opens for you, the things it allows you to do and see, the freedom, the FUN (especially if you have kids - you will make memories that will never be lost) - THOSE things, the intangibles are what will make you happy you spent the money and willing to do it again.

Good luck on your choice. Just fire away if you need assistance about anything prior to signing.

Edit: Cedar I forgot to say "Welcome to the forum"!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #7
travelin texans

During your PDI pull every handle, twist every knob, flip every switch, run every appliance in/on every source it operates from, look under/over the entire unit, open every door/drawer, hitch/unhitch from TV & DO NOT sign anything til all this is done & they've made it 100% to your satisfaction. If they say they'll repair/replace anything/everything afterwards inform them that's when you'll complete the sale. Shop the service department as well as the sales, the sales people are done with you once you've signed, but the service will continue for the length of the warranty. Don't let them rush you through the PDI, take all the time you need, if whoever is doing it can't answer your questions tell them to get someone that can, don't settle for "I don't know" or "we can find out latter", they need you for a sale, you have other dealers available.
If you know any experienced rvers, take them,with you to the PDI for advice. Also a video recorder or IPad to record the PDI is a great way to remember how operate everything, it can get a bit overwhelming.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:31 PM   #8
Gegrad

Cedar-
Gonna echo the comments already here- if you are generally handy around the house or your car, owning an RV will not be a problem for you- the same skills and instincts translate to maintaining and repairing an RV. If you don't know the difference between a #2 phillips and a square drive screwdriver, then, not gonna lie, owning an RV probably isn't a great choice, because you will be entirely dependent on a dealer, and even the best dealers are seeing months of backlog work due to the recent rise in popularity.

If you are handy, just do the PDI like you have never gone over anything else beforehand as others elaborate. Wishing you the best from NC!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #9
5J's

Welcome to the forum from SE Texas. I'm going to spare you another lengthy post saying exactly what has already been said. What I will say is this, we bought our first trailer about 18 months at a and have yet to look back. We've enjoyed it so much and every time we get home from a trip we're already planning the next. One thing we did was promise ourselves that we were going to use our trailer and not let it sit. We typically plan at least one trip a month and three to four months in advance. IMHO this will not be a purchase you'll regret if you are determined to use it and enjoy it. Good luck on your search.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #10
Cedar

Great advise from everyone! Thanks so much! I have a boat on Lake Erie and it’s going to set at a campground all summer and be a home on the weekends. Can’t wait
Cedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:15 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Just another perspective. Most RVs depreciate like crazy when purchased new. That is why you see USED one or two year old trailers for far less than they cost only a year before at the dealer. Some folks take to camping and some don't and don't know it until they try it a time or two. Kind of like seeing all those exercise bikes in garages with cob webs that were barely ever used.

Having said that, say you do take to camping and get hooked. I have found from personal experience that your must haves in an RV won't become clear until you have been camping a few times. You might want to start out with a used camper and at this time of year bargains are plentiful. Find a local RV mechanic who does inspections and you might find that you can get into the RV lifestyle for a whole lot less than buying new at a dealer. Buying new, as you have observed, is no guarantee that the camper will be 100 percent right. If you do buy new, not only do a really thorough PMI but research your dealer very carefully. You might spend a bit more for a top dealer but if you do have a problem with your purchase, hopefully you will find one who will stand behind the needed repairs.

Another thing you may want to try is renting an RV for the first time or two you are out to not only see if you take to it but will get a better idea of what features and floorplan are important to you and it might help make the buying decision more pointed when you do pull the trigger. Good luck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:33 AM   #12
capnkirk4

we tried a used 22' TT to see what and if we really like it. We now own a 2016 Keystone Bullet 269RLS and love it. There were some issues but they have been fixed. Powered by a 2018 1794 Toyota Tundra.
capnkirk4 is offline   Reply With Quote