Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
LocoJoe

iRV 6500 BT radio

Hello, I have a 2016 Passport 2920 BH I just purchased as a left over. It has the above mentioned iRV 6500 BT entertainment system. All works well except for the out side speakers, they are half as loud as the inside speakers at the same volume setting. They also sound over driven/distorted if turned up to an adequate level for listening out side. I would add that I traded in a 2014 Passport 2810 BH with the same audio system so I'm using it as reference. I could turn on the out side speakers while camping in the infield at a Nascar race and hear the race being called over the radio. Plenty good for an OEM system. I'm wondering if others have had similar problems and if so, were they able to fix the issue. I spoke to the Tech at Patrick Industries and was told they would replace the radio if it was defective but the dealer would have to do the trouble shooting. It will be 2 weeks before I can get the trailer back to the dealer, if its an easy fix I can save my self a trip. Thanks and God Bless!
LocoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #2
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoJoe View Post
Hello, I have a 2016 Passport 2920 BH I just purchased as a left over. It has the above mentioned iRV 6500 BT entertainment system. All works well except for the out side speakers, they are half as loud as the inside speakers at the same volume setting. They also sound over driven/distorted if turned up to an adequate level for listening out side. I would add that I traded in a 2014 Passport 2810 BH with the same audio system so I'm using it as reference. I could turn on the out side speakers while camping in the infield at a Nascar race and hear the race being called over the radio. Plenty good for an OEM system. I'm wondering if others have had similar problems and if so, were they able to fix the issue. I spoke to the Tech at Patrick Industries and was told they would replace the radio if it was defective but the dealer would have to do the trouble shooting. It will be 2 weeks before I can get the trailer back to the dealer, if its an easy fix I can save my self a trip. Thanks and God Bless!
I have the same problem with my outside speakers (2013 Cougar). So will also be interested in any suggestions.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
Tbos

My 2016 2810Passport has the same radio and same issue. I have not tried swapping the plugs see it the problem moves. Might try the B channel since it not hooked to anything.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
RLM5150

Not sure if this is the same issue, but here is my experience with a different model from same mfg.

We have a 2015 Outback 298RE and it came with the iRV33 stereo. The Bluetooth didn't work when we tried but that didn't concern me. We started having issues where the sound would cease. It appeared the radio was still on but no sound and changing inputs or speaker outputs didn't change that. The solution was to power off / on the unit. The dealer ordered a new unit under warranty for us and we had that replaced a couple weeks ago as we began a 9 day tip. The new unit appears the same but it actually a newer model, iRV34. So far it has been reliable. They showed me a cool feature and said it was suppose to work that way on the old one too, but isn't documented. If you press and hold one of the speaker selection buttons you are able to both change the input for that selected speaker and adjust volume for that selected speaker. So if you find the outdoor is too loud (or not loud enough) compared to the other speakers that is how you could make adjustments to make them match. Or you can have the radio on outside and the TV or DVD playing inside at the same time.
RLM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #5
LocoJoe

Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLM5150 View Post
Not sure if this is the same issue, but here is my experience with a different model from same mfg.

We have a 2015 Outback 298RE and it came with the iRV33 stereo. The Bluetooth didn't work when we tried but that didn't concern me. We started having issues where the sound would cease. It appeared the radio was still on but no sound and changing inputs or speaker outputs didn't change that. The solution was to power off / on the unit. The dealer ordered a new unit under warranty for us and we had that replaced a couple weeks ago as we began a 9 day tip. The new unit appears the same but it actually a newer model, iRV34. So far it has been reliable. They showed me a cool feature and said it was suppose to work that way on the old one too, but isn't documented. If you press and hold one of the speaker selection buttons you are able to both change the input for that selected speaker and adjust volume for that selected speaker. So if you find the outdoor is too loud (or not loud enough) compared to the other speakers that is how you could make adjustments to make them match. Or you can have the radio on outside and the TV or DVD playing inside at the same time.
Wow, it would be great if it was that simple. Im going to give it a try tomorrow. If I press and hold a speaker selection will the display
Change at all to let me know it's in that mode? No matter, if it wasn't sleeting out right now I'd run out and try. Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-25-2017, 04:07 AM   #6
hdxbonez

The original radio in my 2015 Cougar was replaced under warranty because the outside speakers stopped working. Shortly after replacement, the outside speakers failed on the new unit as well. I gave up on it.....
Old 01-25-2017, 07:45 AM   #7
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxbonez View Post
The original radio in my 2015 Cougar was replaced under warranty because the outside speakers stopped working. Shortly after replacement, the outside speakers failed on the new unit as well. I gave up on it.....
Same problem on my Cougar, they replaced the radio twice and the third one did the same thing. I pulled out the radio and swapped the bedroom wires with the outside wires and called it a day. Then out of the blue the bedroom speakers started working again but I don't expect it to last.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #8
LocoJoe

Too good to be true

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLM5150 View Post

Tried holding the speaker selection button in. It turned the speakers on (or off) but it didn't allow me to change any levels or settings while holding the button in.
Thanks for the idea, it was worth a try. Unless I'm missing something the two units work differently. Your unit is definitely better of the two I think. The trailer goes back Saturday so they can mess with it. I'm expecting the usual run around from the dealer, it always subjective as to what's acceptable and what constitutes a problem in their eyes. Thanks again for the replies!
Old 11-27-2019, 06:22 AM   #9
Lanelle

Irv 6500

Interesting I’m reading lots of comments on this radio DVD player .... I’ve had nothing but trouble since I bought my trailer in 2015 ( Passport Elite) never plays DVDs consistently and not all of the three speaker work and now when you turn the volume up it does sound distorted the dealer said it’s not under warranty and it’s like $500 to replace. Frustrated with this whole situation. Has anybody replace these IRV models with something else that fits in the spot?
Lanelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:38 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanelle View Post
Interesting I’m reading lots of comments on this radio DVD player .... I’ve had nothing but trouble since I bought my trailer in 2015 ( Passport Elite) never plays DVDs consistently and not all of the three speaker work and now when you turn the volume up it does sound distorted the dealer said it’s not under warranty and it’s like $500 to replace. Frustrated with this whole situation. Has anybody replace these IRV models with something else that fits in the spot?
I think it's unrealistic to expect the dealer, or Keystone to replace a 5 year old radio for free. With that said, if you really want to replace with the same radio you can buy the radio for $210 here https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Stereos/iRV/292-101079.html

As this is a standard "double DIN" size radio I'd look for a better brand replacement radio that fit's in the double DIN size hole.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:24 AM   #11
foldbak

I'll just state the obvious..the stock A/V equipment is junk. Upgrade everything. I installed a soundbar for the TV and stream music to it. Also replaced the head unit with a double din DVD tuner and 6.5" marine speakers outside. About $800 and problem solved!
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #12
Lanelle

Unfortunately the unit had not worked the best since I bought the trailer new 4 years ago. ... I should have said something earlier but thought it was more ‘user’ error . So my fault there for not asking more questions. Thank you for the info... I’ve seen several other units both IRV and others the might work. Thank You.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:50 PM   #13
Keystoned

I know this is old, but I am new here and have the same unit in my TT. The outside speakers were not only just tweeters with little output, but I think they were not wired in phase. The sound was much better after replacing them with 6.5" marine speakers with larger housing and assuring correct wiring.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #14
Lanelle

Thanks for the feedback!!
Old 02-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #15
Keystoned

So my irv33 in the outback won't turn on unless I pull the fuse and replace it.
Suggestions?
Old 02-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
So my irv33 in the outback won't turn on unless I pull the fuse and replace it.
Suggestions?
More details please:

Do you mean that the fuse will "blow" after a while? That it "blows" immediately when you turn on the stereo? That it is loose in the holder?

Are you talking about a fuse "in the unit" or the 15 amp fuse on the power distribution panel?

Is anything else on that line? Often the TV amplifier is also on that fuse and many people "plug an inverter into the cigarette lighter socket", overloading the circuit.

Is this a "new problem" or an "old problem that's getting worse" or ????

Does this happen "only when on battery power" or also on shore power?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:41 AM   #17
Keystoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
More details please:

Do you mean that the fuse will "blow" after a while? That it "blows" immediately when you turn on the stereo? That it is loose in the holder?

Are you talking about a fuse "in the unit" or the 15 amp fuse on the power distribution panel?

Is anything else on that line? Often the TV amplifier is also on that fuse and many people "plug an inverter into the cigarette lighter socket", overloading the circuit.

Is this a "new problem" or an "old problem that's getting worse" or ????

Does this happen "only when on battery power" or also on shore power?
Nope, the fuse does not blow ever. It is the one in-line at the back of the radio and it is not loose at all.
It is new to me, as is the 5th wheel, but the PO had the same issue. It happens whether plugged in or not.
It won't turn on unless I pull the fuse and replace it, and it works normally until the next time I try to turn it on.
I relocated the cable clamp because there was not enough slack in it, thinking maybe there was tension on the wire that the fuse holder is a part of, but no difference. Used a different fuse also, no difference.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like a "relay hang" somewhere in the radio. Since there probably are no "mechanical relays" in the system, it's a "switching circuit on the control board" that probably has a bad transistor in it. With all of the "IC circuits" on today's "cheap electronics" there's no telling where the faulty component may be "hiding in plain sight"...

One thing you can do is put a switch in the power input wire. That would 'break the circuit" without having to physically remove the fuse. I would imagine that all of the "memory circuits are reset" with every power interruption. The clock, station pre-sets, alarm, etc are all lost and need to be reset.

I believe the radio has a 2 year warranty, so depending on when you bought it, you might be able to get a factory replacement. Otherwise, the radio is, unfortunately, a "disposable device" as are most of today's electronic "gizmos"...

You might get lucky and find a replacement that someone is selling on eBay for less than the price of a new one, but that's likely to be a "gamble on function". Time to upgrade ??? I don't know of any "good, quality replacements" that are a reasonable alternative in price and function, especially when you consider the speakers are likely to be the "weakest link" even in an operational RV stereo.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #19
Keystoned

Kind of what I thought.
Any suggestions for a replacement with DVD, BT, 3 zones, etc?
Old 02-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #20
Keystoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
I'll just state the obvious..the stock A/V equipment is junk. Upgrade everything. I installed a soundbar for the TV and stream music to it. Also replaced the head unit with a double din DVD tuner and 6.5" marine speakers outside. About $800 and problem solved!
Sounds like a good idea for when you are plugged in, but what about on 12v? All I see are variations of the same but at least they include 3 zones and hdmi output. Looks like car stuff doesn't have either of those. I was thinking maybe a speaker selector switch could solve the 3 zone issue, but don't see a solution to the hdmi...

Tags
radio