Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2020, 06:53 AM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

Do fresh water tank straps break? Yes
Do fresh water tanks split? Yes
Does the same happen to black or gray tanks? Yes

Does that mean that it's a frequent problem? No
Does that mean everyone should "avoid" using their tanks as designed? No

It's a fact that tanks have fallen out of trailers, tanks have split while towing, even while sitting in a campground after towing.

It's also a fact that trailers have uncoupled from the tow vehicle. Other trailers have "turned upside down" and some have even turned the tow vehicle upside down in the process. It's a "known fact" that some slides have deployed while towing, some bumpers have fallen off, some propane tanks have worked loose, some battery trays have fallen off with broken welds. Heck, there's even an incident where the entire rear cap literally "fell off the trailer"....

Do any of those mean that we should stop towing, stop filling propane tanks, stop buying trailers with slides (or run a big cargo strap around the trailer to "safeguard" the slide) or stop putting batteries on the battery tray ????

Is there a reason not to fill the tanks because of fuel mileage? For my rig, I get the same mileage whether I'm towing the trailer alone, the trailer and boat or the trailer and slingshot, so my fuel mileage isn't affected "at all" by the weight of 40 gallons of water. So, economical towing ???? Does it matter if the water tanks are full???

I'd suggest that it's up to each owner to do what he thinks works best for him/her, but I can assure you, there's no "hard and fast rule" that states (or even suggests) that towing with fresh/black/gray water onboard should be avoided.

We have members who don't fill their tanks, that's OK.
We have members who only fill half way, that's OK.
We have members who don't worry about water, that's OK.
We have members who fill tanks full, that's OK.

Heck, we have members who worry about towing with the refrigerator operating, we have members who tow with a generator running to operate the air conditioner, we have members who turn on their furnace to "pre-heat" their trailer, we have members who "ABSOLUTELY" believe any of these things is "COMPLETELY UNSAFE and just morally wrong"... Who's right? Who's wrong? Who's "just a little bit right" or "just a little bit wrong" ????

Hmmmmm Hurry up spring !!! Full, half full or empty, it's time to stop looking at them and start using them.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote