Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #1
Mixonic

Canadian Bullet Owner

Our family is very happy to own a 2019 Bullet 277BHS as it's a great floorplan for a family of four. I've done a great deal of research prior to making our purchase to ensure proper hookups, manage/minimize moisture/mold, winterization, seasonal maintenance, etc.

There are a few things I wish were in the manual but are not.
TV has HDMI but uses component connectors? (Grr)
No instructions on how to remove light bezels, and suggested replacement LED bulbs
No instructions on how to seal, and what sealing products to use (and in what areas)
**Wish I upgraded to a porcelain toilet
** I did insist on a AGM battery vs water battery as they are much less maintenance
I purchased the aluminum bubble wrap at home Depot Called "Reflectix" and put it between all the mattresses and plywood to help prevent black mold from forming. (Can happen in colder climates where body heat and interior temperature differ.)

I accept the flaws with being an RV owner and I know there are a lot of cost cutting measures in place, and I accept that but to create a better user experience there should be instructions for common issues on how to replace (light bulbs) for instance.
Mixonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

The "instructions" that come with a new RV are minimal and non specific. I suspect you will wish you had a porcelain toilet; especially if it gets lots of use or you have kids. As far as sealants they can vary depending on what you are trying to seal. When you know that just do a search on the forum and you should come up with endless posts on the subject(s). The AGM battery could be a problem. Determine what you have for a converter and make sure it has a charging pattern for the AGM battery; many don't. Reflectix under the mattress? I've not heard of it or used it that way. If you get black mold under the mattress if you don't have it, where does that moisture go with the Reflectix under the mattress? Into it? I don't like "non breathing" anything above or below my bedding.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:14 PM   #3
KeithInUpstateNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixonic View Post
TV has HDMI but uses component connectors?
** I did insist on a AGM battery vs water battery as they are much less maintenance
I purchased the aluminum bubble wrap at home Depot Called "Reflectix" and put it between all the mattresses and plywood to help prevent black mold from forming. (Can happen in colder climates where body heat and interior temperature differ.)
First, welcome, and congratulations. It sounds like you are much better informed and prepared than most first time owners.

The component connectors are most likely dictated by the radio/entertainment equipment. One Jensen model does not even have audio out connectors. You HAVE to use the ceiling speakers. Drove me nuts with the sound so far from the screen. That got upgraded real quick in my trailer (not my Bullet 220RBI).

Check the specifications for your charger/converter. I also upgraded to AGM batteries, only to find out the charger/converter does not have an AGM charging profile programmed in.

I live in upstate NY, just south of the border midway between Ottawa and Montreal. I also have Reflectix under my mattress. I didn't think about the dinette cushions along the walls in the slide and ended up with damage to the vinyl from mildew on the bottoms and sides of the cushions before I discovered it. Attached is a pic of the insulation in the pass through storage of my current Prime Time Avenger, but I did the same thing between the aluminum studs in my Bullet. The foam is glued and strapped in place to prevent moisture from getting behind it. The other place to watch for moisture is your cabinets, you don't want anything shoved tight against the outside wall. These closet hanging shelves and baskets give me plenty of storage for tees, underwear, socks, and jeans and prevent me from overstuffing the closets.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190114_162743986.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	23039Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190608_125229577.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	23040

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
Mixonic

I'm permanently parked to shore power, if I was traveling a converter would be high on my priority list. The Reflectix is just a prevention item, the other product I was considering is https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1818021
I'm still looking into sealants, transparent, self leveling, etc then determining which I need to purchase and for which purpose. Also lubricants for pulley slides etc.

Small things, but important things to be on top of. Some of the products I'm looking at are:
CRC Power Lube
Thetford Slide seal conditioner
Geocel 28100V GC28100 Pro Flex Rv Flexible Clear
Old 07-29-2019, 05:28 PM   #5
Mixonic

Great call on the foam in the through storage, is it similar to this product?

Foam Insulation 2x2 Project Panels

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/owe...els/1000845392

Now I know where to use the rest of the Reflectix on the dining benches...totally overlooked mind you probably won't have many persons sleeping there but sitting/eating may also impact it.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:04 PM   #6
KeithInUpstateNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixonic View Post
I'm permanently parked to shore power, if I was traveling a converter would be high on my priority list.
Hopefully not coming across as a jerk, but what Sourdough and I are trying to say is that you do have a converter built into the power center of your trailer. It is what charges your batteries, which in turn run all the 12V lights, pump, furnace, etc. even when you are plugged into shore power. Unfortunately, the OEM charger/converter is typically low end and does not have the AGM or Gel charging profiles programmed into them, thus significantly reducing the life of these expensive batteries. The finishing charge for AGM batteries is around 14.7 volts. The finishing charge for wet cell batteries is much higher, around 16.2 volts. Does that help?

I'll get back to you on the foam for the pass through, I'll have to dig through old posts to find the one with information when I originally posted it.

I never tried the Reflectix in the dinette even after I discovered the problem since damage had already been done. I just pulled them out and wiped then down much more frequently.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:16 PM   #7
Mixonic

Not coming across as jerks at all, I'll look into into what converter I have installed and go from there. (Greatly appreciated)

I'm not sure if I'll have to insulate the passthrough as our camping season is only from May to Sept.

I found this an interesting read and the funny yet informational video helped.

https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/RV-...verter-Charger
Old 07-29-2019, 11:35 PM   #8
Northofu1

from Toronto

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet