Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #41
Bob Landry

I'm not sue if I would even accept deliver on the trailer if I knew it was going to have a potentially unresolvable problem. Knowing the history of Keystones customer support, once the trailer is OOW, you are looking at a lot of aggravation at best and for sure an uphill struggle trying to get it fixed after the warranty period. At the very least, I would want something in writing from an officer of the company manufacturing the panel, that future issues would be resolved. After all of this time, they have to know about the problem and I would want to know what they have done to resolve it with their current product. Anything short of that and I would walk away from the deal. Here's a chance for Keystone to save a sale. Let's see what they do with it.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #42
Bugle Boy

Our new 31 RKS is due to be delivered this week. I have emailed them and asked two questions:
1. What has been done to prevent fading of the front cap?
2. What has been done to resolve the malfunction problems in the control panel?

Hoping for an answer today.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #43
ausarb

Update

I just spoke with a tech at my selling dealer. He's been there since February but seemed like the "panel guy". He said that in the 2 - 3 cases where he's done a panel replacement, he hasn't heard back from the customer which would indicate that the panel swap did the trick. He's calling a local service dept and going to explain the technical details to them and I'll set up an appointment for the swap. In the meantime, I've become quite efficient in pulling out the #5 fuse.
ausarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #44
ausarb

Another update

I've got a new panel scheduled to go in sometime the week of the 20th and will update when it's in. We've got a Memorial Day camping trip so I should know right away. My selling dealer said that it is a newer version of the panel but didn't know what the difference was. Perhaps they made one that works in RV's!

In order to shorten the turn around time on the unit, the servicing dealer agreed to pre order the panel (Around $200) and keep my credit card on file in Keystone rejects the warranty claim, they'd back charge it to me. I'm confident the panel is the problem, so no worries there. The selling dealer said he's never had any panels returned/rejected by Keysone. I'd be happy to float the charge to keep the trailer out of the shop for an extended period of time.

Just for clarification, the selling and servicing dealer are two different dealers.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #45
Bugle Boy

My selling dealer is checking into the panel issue for me and if they can to install rocker switches instead. I hope they can do that. Our new Cougar 31RKS is due to come off the line the 13th of May.

He also says that the front cap fading issue has been addressed by Keystone. Didn't say how. I presume a good coat of clearcoat.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #46
DaveR

Fixed my control panel

The 2nd & 3rd rows on my control panel would not work. I turned on lights and appliances until I found that when I turned on the refrig to electric it locked me out on those 2 rows. I had lights on that I could not turn off and could not turn anything on those 2 rows. I noticed the 15a fuse for the refrig ( 6 th one down from the top) had turned grayish-blue from the standard blue fuse so I replaced it even though it was not bad. That fixed the problem. My dealer says the control panel is very sensitive to any voltage drop and the fuse even though not completely bad was inferior. For what ever the reason I am good to go! Hope this helps.
DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #47
Bugle Boy

Our sales rep called a short while ago. Our rig will have the rocker switches in the panel.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

Old 05-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #48
FTWingRiders

I've only had my 325srx a week, just been in the yard plugged in. My panel has failed 3 times. 2-3 row twice, 4-5 once. REALLY frustrating. Called my dealer, the service manager mentioned that I should shut the panel off every time I leave, otherwise it goes into "sleep mode", and that it is so sensitive to voltage change, it crashes.. his words. He did offer any support I need(?), we'll see if I really push it. A question.. I have a plug in surge protector, but thats not really a voltage regulator is it? If not, does anyone make such a thing?

What I hate is that the overhead lights are only controlled by that panel. Besides the obvious that if the panels not working there are no lights, it's in the most awkward place. I'm 6', and have to reach it. My kids? Forget it, especially if you need to find the power button first!!

I think I could suffer with it if I could move the light switch off of it. (Not that I should have to suffer this kind of issue with a new $35K unit!!). Has anyone ever done such an operation? I just want to have a rocker switch mounted below the panel in the same wall.

Bugle Boy, a question... who's doing the change to rocker switches? Keystone, or is your dealer making up something? Ultimately, I'd love a completely different panel with all normal rocker switches if possible.
FTWingRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #49
Bob Landry

I would stick it out and make Keystone/dealer make it right. I would also avoid doing the rocker switch thing. Two reasons, it covers up a problem that you shouldn't have to live with on a new trailer, and you run the risk of Keystone saying it would void your warranty because of an unauthorized modification to the electrical system. From everything I've read on this forum, I have become very distrustful of Keystone and I think they would use any excuse to bail on you.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 05-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #50
Bugle Boy

To FTWingRiders: I talked to our salesperson yesterday afternoon. He said he checked with the Keystone plant and that during assembly they would install rocker switches on our unit. I asked him specifically if that info is from the plant and he said yes. I will be gravely disappointed if it comes with this electronc panel.

Our unit is to come off the line Monday the 13th so I suspect it is under construction now.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

Old 05-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #51
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugle Boy View Post
To FTWingRiders: I talked to our salesperson yesterday afternoon. He said he checked with the Keystone plant and that during assembly they would install rocker switches on our unit. I asked him specifically if that info is from the plant and he said yes. I will be gravely disappointed if it comes with this electronc panel.

Our unit is to come off the line Monday the 13th so I suspect it is under construction now.
Hopefully, your salesman is not just blowing smoke. They have been known to do that to close a deal. I would shoot for something in writing, if nothing more than a follow up email to your salesman to verify that you are going to get what you want. I wouldn't worry about pi$$ing him off either, it's your money you're plunking down. The shop techs are not going to know how to troubleshoot this, and no one is going to want to replace a panel after the fact.

I do a lot of warranty work in the marine industry, and I can tell you that this particular issue has all of the makings for being extremely difficult to resolve after you take possession, especially Keystone's penchant for avoiding issues, especially potentially expensive ones. Once you pull it off the lot, a lot of your leverage goes away. I know it's hard to wait for a new toy, but this is one instance where perseverance will pay off.

This is a design/application issue and it's not going to go away anytime soon.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 05-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #52
Bugle Boy

We ordered our unit from Camping World in Sprngfield, MO. Two reasons. We believe they gave us a good trade in and there is a new Camping World going in just 4 miles from our home. So, I will have Keystone, Camping World and Good Sams to raise hell with if I have been lied to.

They have our deposit so not much I can do as far as refusal to accept. We shall see and hope for the best.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

Old 05-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #53
FTWingRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugle Boy View Post

Very interesting... sounds like a problem they are WELL aware of, and seems to really not be to concerned about addressing right now. Must have a huge stockpile of those damn panels, and gosh forbid they scrape them now..( PURE speculation on my part there).. LOL Please let us know after you get the unit how you made out.

All I know is I'll be calling the dealer again.. Tried his recommended trick, and I STILL had no power in 2-3 row...GRRRR!!!!
FTWingRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #54
jencox5508

We are having the EXACT same problem and we are now on our 3rd control panel. They realized that is NOT the problem and our dealership called the panel makers on Friday... I don't know how they are going t fix the problem though, sounds like a nightmare. It is fixed by turning off battery disconnect and unplugging power, then plugging back it and turning battery back on. We had to do this 4 times this past weekend while camping...so frustrating!!!!!

Jennifer
jencox5508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #55
Bugle Boy

I am expecting a call today from the Keystone Product Manager regarding this panel issue and the fading of the front cap.

They did not respond to my email inquiry of last Monday so I called them this mornring to discuss it.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

Old 05-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #56
K'sKamper

Control Panel

Picked up Cougar 333MKS Thursday and here we are on Monday with problems with the control panel. Have not taken it out yet! I had not read this before buying this until. I love the RV but I will not like dealing with this over and over again. I hope Keystone comes up with a solution.
K'sKamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #57
ausarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'sKamper View Post
Picked up Cougar 333MKS Thursday and here we are on Monday with problems with the control panel. Have not taken it out yet! I had not read this before buying this until. I love the RV but I will not like dealing with this over and over again. I hope Keystone comes up with a solution.
When was the approximate build date of your trailer? I've found mfg dates on labels of various components around the trailer including the axles and pin box. Ours has lots of components from August 2012.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #58
K'sKamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausarb View Post
When was the approximate build date of your trailer? I've found mfg dates on labels of various components around the trailer including the axles and pin box. Ours has lots of components from August 2012.

Build Date November, 2012
K'sKamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:01 AM   #59
jencox5508

My dealer has been in contact with the panel maker and Keystone this week and they actually had a camper on the showroom floor doing this exact thing. Well Yesterday, they found a fix with the help of the panel guy. He just called me and said they are going to make sure it works today and then will come to my house on Monday and re-wire ours. I sure hope this works, they know we have been struggling with this since day 1 and are 2 hours away from the dealer...I'm glad Keystone is paying them to drive to our house to fix it.

Jennifer
jencox5508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:07 AM   #60
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'sKamper View Post
Build Date November, 2012

The build date may yield little to no valuable information. OEM builders buy equipment in quantity from their vendors and store it until needed. I've seen marine air conditioning equipment in new boats that has a manufacture date 3-4 years old. In fact, Dometic's marine warranty guidelines specify that they will not cover a piece of equipment that is more than four years old, even if it is to the original owner and has been in use less than a year.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel