Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Jay D

propane

I will be dropping my camper off at a race track a few days before the race weekend, my question is I want to fill my fridge/freezer and leave it on auto. Would that be ok for 2 days running on the gas? Other question I have is normally use the propane for showers would the genny(2000 watt) be ok to run the water heater or should I just keep it on the gas. Thanks for the replies, Jay
Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D View Post
I will be dropping my camper off at a race track a few days before the race weekend, my question is I want to fill my fridge/freezer and leave it on auto. Would that be ok for 2 days running on the gas? Other question I have is normally use the propane for showers would the genny(2000 watt) be ok to run the water heater or should I just keep it on the gas. Thanks for the replies, Jay
Two days on a full tank should be no problem with the fridge.. and you should have enough for the water heater too.. I can run my trailer for about 6 days on a 20 lb tank..
Old 10-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
Loui

When I go to the races and we are "boon docking" for at least 5-7 days the fridge is set to run on gas for the entire time. The fridge really does not use much gas to keep the fridge cold.

The water heater I also run on gas but only turn it on a hour or so before we need it (showers, doing the dishes etc.)
The hot water heater on electric is slow to recover, I would use the gas.

Cheers

Montana 3685FL
Chev, D/A
Loui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Jay D

Thanks too the both of u, that's what I was thinking but DW had me double guessing. Hopefully mother nature will be nice and we can the races in.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Shoey

If you are leaving your camper sit, and are running the fridge on propane, make sure you have a good battery. Once the battery is dead, the fridge will shut off regardless regardless of how much propane is in the tank. The propane does the work, but all the controls are 12VDC. You need both for the fridge to work.
Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Jay D

it's only 2 years old and haven't had any iusses yet with it. Thanks for the info
Old 10-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Two showers a day on gas & electric ... fridge on gas (it stays colder), stovetop cooking at least one meal a day. In a month we use less than 15 lbs. of propane. Use the furnace a few times and your empty real fast. Your propane will outlast your battery for sure. Enjoy the races, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Jay D

I will have the gas grill to cook on with a separate 20lb tank, once i get there I will be running off the genny mostly at night for the lights. Don't think we will need the heat it's been in the 60's. Hope my daughter does well in both her races (1-sat/1-sun). Thanks everyone.