Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
DocData757

Skirting for my Alpine

We spend a lot of time in one place and decided to create a 'garage' with skirting under the nose of our Alpine. We keep the freezer, 2 bikes and a set of shelves in there.

We purchased an Adco white cover which look great as soon as we installed it but went downhill fast. It stained too easy and the inside mildewed bad. The grommets in the bottom pulled out and one zipper started separating from the material. We had it for a year and a half and decided to replace it.

After searching around for custom skirting, we settled on http://www.rvskirting.com and one other. We asked for material samples from both and found the rvskirting's material was far superior to the other. We ordered ours custom made for our rig (the Adco had been a poor fit at best). I installed it today (took a little over an hour to do) . I have some old landscaping timbers holding down the bottom until I can buy some PVC piping which I will fill with sand, cap off and install in the pockets at the bottom of the skirting to weight it down. Then I will anchor it with spikes through the nailing straps.

I am very pleased with the product and will keep updating this thread if anything changes.

Just to be clear, I have no association with rvskirting other than being a customer.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0312.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1239  
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
hankaye

DocData757, Howdy;

Had mine done 'while I waited'... last Autum while on my way to N.M.
got the PVC tubes, nails etc.. Works like a champ!
The folks are friendly and had mine made and came and installed them in less than 24 hours. I was impressed...

hankaye

PS. Only a VERY satisfied customer. No other ties the them...

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:51 AM   #3
DocData757

How are you using the nailing strips? Did you spike right through them or did you put in grommets first?
Old 04-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
hankaye

Doc, Howdy;

Just nail right thru them. My problem is with the soil here, it
dosen't grip the nails very well (Southwest desert). so I go
out and re-nail after every heavy windstorm.

hankaye

T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Comptech

I like the look of the product, but screwing all those snaps and fasteners to the side of the RV would make me a bit nervous... And after a while I would think they might work loose or strip the fiberglass....

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
DocData757

I've had an Adco on there for year and a half. It used snaps held on with a single screw and none ever came loose. The problem with single snaps is that they can be difficult to unsnap at time and this could result in them tearing out of the skirt.

The new skirt uses turn-dot fasteners, each held on to the camper with 2 screws. There is no problem with these being difficult to unhook so this is a much better arrangement. If one ever did cause a problem, a simple epoxy patch to the hold and redrilling and I'd be back in business.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

I can understand your apprehension about drilling holes and attaching fasteners to your fiberglass and the possibility of the fasteners working themselves loose. These fasteners are used extensively in marine applications such as biminis and other covers for fiberglass boats. These snaps are a common sight on boats and usually don't loosen.
Of the two types, snaps or turn-buttons, I would recommend the turn-buttons as there is less "pull" on the snap and less likelihood of it working loose but that is a personal choice.
I would think that once the skirting is in place, there isn't much call for routinely taking it off and putting it back on. Once it is on, it remains there until it's time to remove it. It isn't like you are constantly taking it on and off.
Again, I appreciate your concern about drilling holes in the fiberglass - it is a scary thought!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Comptech

Festus2,
I understand about screwing snaps onto a boat hull, because I have one and and am familiar with the process. My thought was that the RV fiberglass is much thinner for weight reasons, and therefore might be easier to pull out or become striped? But I guess not...

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

You are definitely correct by saying that the thickness of a f/g boat hull is much thicker compared to that of an RV and the threads of screws may not hold as well. Like you, I'd be apprehensive if I were thinking about doing it but fortunately, I have no need to skirt our RV.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
hankaye

Howdy All;

I kept a close eye on the install of the fastners when mine was done last Oct.
The spring season here in Southern N.M, is the windy season... 30 - 40 mph
winds a couple of days per week (avg.), I check the fastners at least weekly.
So, far so good...... none have loosened.
Oh, yea, the material that RV Skirting uses is called Herulite extreamly tough stuff. It's doubled at the top (where the fastners are attached). Most likely the fastner will pull out before the material rips or wears out...
I drug a tool pouch around the flightdeck of the USS Nimitz for more than 6 months and never wore a hole in the bag. It was made of herculite.....

hankaye

disclaimer; My only connection with RVSkirting is that of a customer, a very happy customer.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
DocData757

Anyone have any thoughts of a clean way of sealing the joint where the material is fastened to the fiberglass? When it rains, the water runs down the sides and nose and, of course, right through the 'joint'. It's not a big deal but.... We have a chest freezer under there that gets soaked. Also, the hitch cover I had added to mine fills up with rain water. I added a grommet to the low point off the material and that particular issue has been taken care of. However, I would still like to stop that water dripping under there.

BTW, the skirting looks so good up there that I am considering getting another piece to hang from the body to the ground next to our patio. Purely cosmetic.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

Two possibilities come to mind:
1) Applying a strip of high density foam to the inside of the skirting material. Not sure how watertight it would be but should stop at least some of the water from getting in
OR
2) Applying white "EZE -RV Gutter System" to the RV above the skirting. It is installed using a self-adhesive tape from 3M. A description of this white vinyl gutter can be found on the CW website or in their catalogue. I am using this above our windows. It has remained on and actually looks quite decent!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
hankaye

DocData757, Howdy;

Haven't had any problems from the wee bit of rain we get around here.
Had a real gully washer today ..... had 3 drops hit my windsheild on the way back from T or C today ...
If you are worried about the freezer try moving it a bit further inside the overhang... It ain't a perfect world...The skirting also works well to keep the sun off your tires.

hankaye

Old 04-23-2012, 04:52 AM   #14
DocData757

Can't move it in anymore because it would block the front bay door.