Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2012, 04:12 AM   #1
EcoboostKev

Washing rubber roof? Roof weight capacity?

I just purchased a Outback 292BH and the dealer recommended that i wash the roof and inspect the seals twice a year. What is the weight limit the roof can hold? I am a big guy (293 lbs) I certainly dont want to fall through the roof of my new camper! I would like to do it myself but if i have to i will get one of my little friends up there..
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #2
Tim&Patty

Washing rubber roof? Roof weight capacity?

EcoboostKev,
Not sure of the actual weight limit on a "Walk-on-Roof", but in "My world it's a perfect job for the RHWD that weights a "Buck and a Quarter", me I stand on ladder and supervise

Tim & Patty (RHDW Red Head Dear Wife)
Riley (Monster Yorkie)

2011 High Country 291RLS, SteadyFast, XM Radio, Awning Sun Shade.

2011 Ford F-150 Platinum, 6.2L, Max Tow Package
Voliant Ram Air, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Hypertech Chip, On Board Lift Bags, Anzo Projector Headlights & LED Tailights, Pace Rolling Padded Hard Cover.
Reese 16K Slider
Tim&Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:45 AM   #3
Englishman

Smile

You should wash the roof twice a year with product like best rubber roof. You should check the seals every month the dealer had to real seal the front seam on my bullet at the of last year due to cracks and a water leak. When I cleaned the roof last weekend I noticed a small crack in the same seam. I will patch that today with rubber roof coat sealer. As for the weight you can put boards accoss the roof to spread the load the dealer should be able to tell you what the roof can hold.
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
SteveC7010

http://www.dicor.com for complete maintenance info on rubber RV roofs.

Some units have a full 3/4" plywood base under the membrane and substrate. Those are what's known as a "walk around roof." Others have 1/4" luan. If it has the thinner material, you should be able to press down halfway between the roof joists and see some flexing. The 3/4" won't flex.

The roof joists themselves are pretty strong. If you throw down an old blanket and then a piece of 5/8" plywood that is long enough to span a couple of joists, you can generally get up there safely. Walk only on the portion of the plywood between the joists.

Weight limit? I don't know for sure. That's a question for the dealer or Keystone, I think.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
f6bits

I’d call Keystone and see what they say about weight limits. I’m about 160 and the roof is super sturdy for me. You really do need to get up there to be thorough. Even at my weight, I feel the trailer rock a little as I move around. This was while my TV was hooked up as I was parked at the wash rack. Best practice would be to fully park the trailer with the stabilizers down and wheels chocked.

I wouldn’t feel comfortable having someone else do it unless they were somewhat agile and had a good eye for inspection.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
allentx1

Not sure about the roof but the ladder on mine has a capacity of 250lbs.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Hansel

I thought I had read that my roof can hold up too 300lbs. so I'm 60lbs under tha max. weight. But I have been thinking about making a padded board to help distibute the weight and not be so rough on my knee's.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
CampDestinations.com

My passport probably has one of the thinnest roofs in the Keystone lineup. That may account for the ultra low weight, even as compared to the other Keystone lines.

I was up on my roof to clean and inspect two weeks ago. I'm 220lb give or take a few and did fine, but only walking on the roof joists. In between joists, it flexed and crackled a bit so I stayed away from there.