Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2023, 12:43 PM   #21
Mainer

EZ-lub and Bearing Buddys are great, BUT!!!

The big BUT is they are only great on axles WITHOUT brakes. I have 4 different trailers, Three have brakes and will NOT be zerked ever, one is small without brakes and does get zerked occasionally. In the past with un-braked boat trailers they got zerked before they hit the water. (Never had a trailerable boat big enough to have brakes.)

They have a purpose, but not on any trailer big enough to have brakes...
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:18 PM   #22
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
If someuse used the bearing zerks to put grease in my bearings, I wouldn't take my rig anywhere until the wheels were pulled and brakes checked for grease contamination. Then bearings properly cleaned, inspected,, and re-packed, new grease seals and back together.
Just FYI what Dexter Axle states on its owner’s manual.
While I agree a hand pack should be done and an inspection of brake components be done.
Dexter states the bearings can be greased using a grease gun, page 55 of the light duty owner’s manual.
I do give the bearings a shot of grease prior to trips.
And no grease has blown the seal as the axle is designed for this.

Now, if bearing buddies have been installed on axles not designed for that type of lubrication then yes, there will be grease on everything.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:33 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer View Post
The big BUT is they are only great on axles WITHOUT brakes. I have 4 different trailers, Three have brakes and will NOT be zerked ever, one is small without brakes and does get zerked occasionally. In the past with un-braked boat trailers they got zerked before they hit the water. (Never had a trailerable boat big enough to have brakes.)

They have a purpose, but not on any trailer big enough to have brakes...
Let's "complicate things" for a moment... You have a boat trailer without brakes and "zerk those bearings"... Improperly doing the procedure is potentially a means to dislodge or damage the seals on the hub. Then, next time you submerge that axle while it's "hot from towing to the lake" and the cold water hits the spindle, it's going to "suck cold water into the bearing as it cools"....

What I'm saying, in short, is that whether an axle has brakes or not, improperly using the EZ Lube system can have damaging implications for the bearings and spindles on the axle whether there are brakes associated or not.

Bearing buddies, found on boat trailers but not on RV trailers, maintain a positive pressure on the grease around the bearings, hopefully to prevent water from overcoming that pressure when the axle is submerged. They work, but ONLY if the bearing buddy is properly maintained and not overgreased. Blowing out the rear seal on an axle with or without bearing buddies can lead to bearing failure and having brakes on the axle is not going to make a difference to the bearings.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:42 PM   #24
BGBVette

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcondan95705 View Post
Why would they pump in grease? Were you losing grease all over the inside of your wheels and brakes. Bearing buddies on a boat trailer yes. On an rv, why,.?
I'm sure they hand pumped the grease. Turns out these came from the factory this way.

All repacked now anyway.
Old 01-12-2023, 01:50 PM   #25
harleywalt

We have a2015 Impact, bought last year. Put about 4600 miles after greasing the axles. But reading this sounds like I need to do preventative maintenance. We have the factory zerk fittings buddy bearing ? (I guess) no leaks drips. New grease seals, and brake shoes? What’s the recommended packing schedule?
harleywalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:00 PM   #26
markcee

I don't use zerks and have often wondered when reading posts on this subject is why they would be a useful addition to any RV trailer. It seems to me they are absolutely unnecessary for anyone that repacks their bearings when recommended:
  • It's been established many times that adding grease via zerk does not take the place of a repack, so they are not worth it from that standpoint.

• Isn't the existing grease essentially sealed in place anyway? How can adding grease to an already 'full' cavity be good or necessary?

• Perhaps the existing grease breaks down and 'disappears' or becomes less effective over time. Even if that is so, I can't believe that would occur in the time between manufacturer recommended bearing inspection/repack intervals.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:11 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Harleywalt,

If you have DEXTER axles, the inspection/repacking schedule is 12 months/12,000 miles.

If you have LIPPERT axles, the inspection/repacking schedule is 12 months/36,000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DEXTER MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	42673   Click image for larger version

Name:	LIPPERT AXLE MAINTENANCE PERIODS.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	42674  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-12-2023, 04:50 PM   #28
harleywalt

Dexteraxles ! I’m not even going to guess on 5th wheel mi on this thing. But I’m going to have them repacked and new seals anyway.
Thanks JRTJH
Old 01-12-2023, 05:29 PM   #29
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
That's not really a bearing maintenance job. The practice of using the EZ-lube zerk fitting to pump in and 'top off' the grease is not generally well regarded by a lot of members.
thats because people are not doing it properly. I have been using ez lube (not berring buddys totaly different set up for a different purpose) for a long time and never had an issue. and for 25 bucks there not doing it right. you have to have the tire spining while you pump in new grease and you don't just top it off you replace the grease. when I do it I just replace enough to see clean grease coming out which usaly take a tube to do the 4 wheels, every third year I change to a different color and replace all the grease and it can take up to 5 or 6 tubes. if you use a pnumatic or electric grease gun like most shops there is a chance of blowing past the seals, also not rotating puts all the force in one area and that can also blow by seals if your not carfull. by using a hand gun, rotating the tire and pumping normaly unless there is somthing wrong with your seals already you shouldnt have a issue.
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 05:40 PM   #30
Mr Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBVette View Post

Thanks for all the prompt feedback on my first day here. I have been on Corvette Forum since the second week it hit the internet back in 1999. So I knew what to expect on advice and direction, and I'm thankful for the help.
I've been a member of Corvetteforum since September 1999.
Old 01-12-2023, 05:49 PM   #31
Mr Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I don't use zerks and have often wondered when reading posts on this subject is why they would be a useful addition to any RV trailer. It seems to me they are absolutely unnecessary for anyone that repacks their bearings when recommended:
  • It's been established many times that adding grease via zerk does not take the place of a repack, so they are not worth it from that standpoint.

• Isn't the existing grease essentially sealed in place anyway? How can adding grease to an already 'full' cavity be good or necessary?

• Perhaps the existing grease breaks down and 'disappears' or becomes less effective over time. Even if that is so, I can't believe that would occur in the time between manufacturer recommended bearing inspection/repack intervals.
From the manual and videos I've seen, the old grease gets "pumped" out as the new grease takes it's place. From what I have heard it's more of a problem when using the "power" grease guns vs hand pumping.
I have these on mine, but I am getting ready to repack my bearings the old fashioned way after reading all the posts on this topic.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:19 AM   #32
Mikelff

I have the E-Z lube axels on my boat trailer. They work fine, especially for a boat trailer. Have had this boat and trailer for about 10 years. It keeps water out of the bearings and is used as a maintenance system. I always pull the wheels and hubs every year and repack and/or replace bearings as needed. Buddy bearings have a similar function in that they keep the bearings/hub full of grease under low pressure using a spring to keep water out of the hubs. Key is NOT to over fill the hubs or you will blow grease out of your seals and into your breaks. NOT desirable! The E-Z lube system is not intended to replace the annual or high mileage bearing inspection and repack. It is only meant to maintain an adequate amount of grease in your hub, and on a NON boat trailer, you do not fill the entire hub with grease. The system is for adding SMALL amounts of grease to keep fresh grease in the bearings, especially for high mileage trips. A couple of pumps with a hand pump grease gun is all that is required. Problem with both the E-Z lube and buddy bearings is people way over fill with grease, which causes issues. You are not towing a boat trailer and wound NEVER use Buddy Bearings on a non boat trailer. If your trailer came with E-Z lube axles, use grease sparingly and only after a few thousand miles of use. Use a good axle grease like Lucas Red and Tacky. I swear by that grease. Hope this helps.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 05:24 PM   #33
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
I have the E-Z lube axels on my boat trailer. They work fine, especially for a boat trailer. Have had this boat and trailer for about 10 years. It keeps water out of the bearings and is used as a maintenance system. I always pull the wheels and hubs every year and repack and/or replace bearings as needed. Buddy bearings have a similar function in that they keep the bearings/hub full of grease under low pressure using a spring to keep water out of the hubs. Key is NOT to over fill the hubs or you will blow grease out of your seals and into your breaks. NOT desirable! The E-Z lube system is not intended to replace the annual or high mileage bearing inspection and repack. It is only meant to maintain an adequate amount of grease in your hub, and on a NON boat trailer, you do not fill the entire hub with grease. The system is for adding SMALL amounts of grease to keep fresh grease in the bearings, especially for high mileage trips. A couple of pumps with a hand pump grease gun is all that is required. Problem with both the E-Z lube and buddy bearings is people way over fill with grease, which causes issues. You are not towing a boat trailer and wound NEVER use Buddy Bearings on a non boat trailer. If your trailer came with E-Z lube axles, use grease sparingly and only after a few thousand miles of use. Use a good axle grease like Lucas Red and Tacky. I swear by that grease. Hope this helps.
you shouldnte hve them on a boat trailer thoes should be berring buddies that are spring loaded and put a constant pressure on the seals to prevent water intrusion, EZ lube is not pressureized and will not prevent water from getting in if you put them under the water asaide from the volume of greese being on everthing.

as for ez-lube they are designed to be totaly full of grease, if you read the instructions you are suposed to fill them till all the old grease is forced out the center area.
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 06:27 PM   #34
Balvar24

So is Dexter selling a faulty product?

Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:18 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
So is Dexter selling a faulty product?

More like a product that requires knowledge and experience to use vs lots of folks looking for an easy way and not knowing the "fine print".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 09:01 PM   #36
Balvar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
More like a product that requires knowledge and experience to use vs lots of folks looking for an easy way and not knowing the "fine print".
I agree with this. I greased my easy lubes per Dexter's instructions before our last trip. The hardest part was tracking the instructions down as Keystone's " manual" basically said to "Google it."
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:09 AM   #37
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
I agree with this. I greased my easy lubes per Dexter's instructions before our last trip. The hardest part was tracking the instructions down as Keystone's " manual" basically said to "Google it."
Even if you follow the directions to the last minor detail there's no guarantee you won't still blow out the cheap seal & other than pulling the drum there's no way to tell if you did or not.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:20 AM   #38
harleywalt

I have been notified by the shop, bearing are “burned” !? Discolored or heated to point of replacement? But I’m having them replaced. Along w seals. I will see them when I pick up the rig. So how do 5th wheeler figure out the mileage to repack at12K? (Add trip distances together) I don’t write those down. I assume previous owner put on bearing buddies.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:22 AM   #39
Max23

Kinda can depend on what your TV is. Mine has a trailer milage separate from the regular. This can be reset whenever you want to help keep track of miles. Again, depending on what you have, if you have a tow package, you may have this. Mine is a very strip down model of truck, not a super nicey expensive unit and still has it so yours may.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:37 AM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleywalt View Post
I have been notified by the shop, bearing are “burned” !? Discolored or heated to point of replacement? But I’m having them replaced. Along w seals. I will see them when I pick up the rig. So how do 5th wheeler figure out the mileage to repack at12K? (Add trip distances together) I don’t write those down. I assume previous owner put on bearing buddies.
Adding trip mileages together is one way to keep track. Another, for Ford owner's with the digital dash display, is to go into the truck applications program, create a "fifth wheel trailer by name" (the truck has capability to create and track up to 10 trailers). Just go to the "truck apps" screen, choose the correct trailer by name and the truck will track the mileage for the trailer, while monitoring the use and will automatically stop adding miles when the trailer is not plugged into the 7 pin umbilical on the truck's receiver/in-bed connector.

Your 2013 SuperDuty, if equipped with the digital center information center (between the speedometer and the tachometer) has a program to keep track of the trailer mileage for you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS