Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2023, 03:23 PM   #1
BGBVette

Greasing bearings

So I dropped off my rig to the local garage to get my bearings packed and they charged me only $25 because there were zerk fittings in the end of the hub. They removed a rubber plug from the dust cover and they blasted the grease in.

My local RV dealer told me he wouldn't use a bearing buddy because it will blow the grease onto my brakes. I'm wondering if this happened to my trailer.

Is the set up I have from the factory? Cougar 29RES 5th wheel.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I am headed on a 3500 mile trip this week and would like to know.

Thanks in advance.
BGBVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:41 PM   #2
markcee

That's not really a bearing maintenance job. The practice of using the EZ-lube zerk fitting to pump in and 'top off' the grease is not generally well regarded by a lot of members.

Here is an extreme example from a recent thread of what can happen:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51660&highlight=bearing+maintenan ce

An actual bearing repack will involve removing the wheel and hub, pulling off, cleaning and inspecting the bearings for wear, packing with fresh grease either by hand or with a packing tool, putting in fresh seals and then re-assembling it all. The brake system should also be inspected when the wheel/hub are off.

How old is the trailer that you are wanting a re-pack? To get the best answers, it would help if you create a signature that includes the year/make/model of your trailer as well as your tow vehicle.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:56 PM   #3
Hblick48

If someuse used the bearing zerks to put grease in my bearings, I wouldn't take my rig anywhere until the wheels were pulled and brakes checked for grease contamination. Then bearings properly cleaned, inspected,, and re-packed, new grease seals and back together.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:02 PM   #4
Vet4jdc

Never go back to that shop! You took it there for a bearing pack I assume. All they did was pumped some grease thru your hub. It may never get to the inner or outer bearing. Removing the hubs and seals and repacking the bearings is the proper way to achieve what you are looking for.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:31 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Your garage doesn't know what a bearing "pack" is obviously. Unfortunately they probably had Billy Bob go out, remove the rubber cover, put the pneumatic grease gun on the zerk and pump away until grease started coming out the front. Of course Billy Bob was the only free hand they had....he normally sweeps up and this was the first time he had ever seen a grease gun, tube of grease or zerk for that matter....

This is just assumption but if your local garage didn't know how to pack bearing I'm sure they had no idea how much grease they were pushing into that wheel. The only way you will know is to pull the wheel/drums and see what's what. I know that is a bummer but I would never start a trip after someone did that to my trailer. As an example (sorry);

First time I took my trailer in to have the bearings replaced and packed I left it in a lot for when they could get to it. I'm impatient and don't trust work done I can't see. Kept driving by and a fellow was finally out there with the trailer jacked up (properly) and the wheel pulled. Pulled up at the back of the lot and walked around behind him to watch - he didn't know I was there. I could tell he was befuddled looking at the situation and trying to get to the bearings. He stood up to walk off and I stepped forward and asked "do you know what you're doing there"? Looking sheepish he said it was his "first time" and "abc" was telling him what to do and supposed to be there to help. I told him to forget working on the trailer I would get the owner and did. Told the owner to get "abc" over to my trailer and have him do the work....and I would stand there and watch, which I did. I have no idea what I would have had if I hadn't been so distrusting. The bad thing is once they do what they do and close it up you don't know unless you pull it all apart to see as you need to do in your case. Sorry.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:51 PM   #6
BGBVette

Bearings

To be honest, I at first hired them to install bearing buddies so I could grease the fittings. The ones I bought did not fit as they were for a boat trailer.

So I have to take the blame for much of this problem. They are a good garage - doing what I told them.

When the RV dealer told me not to use the bearing buddy, I called the garage and told them to just repack the bearings. I didn't tell them what the dealer said regarding the brakes.

When I left the garage earlier that morning to purchase the correct size Bearing Buddies, the garage had handed me a dust cap to insure a correct fit, but I never looked at it.

The dust cap had a hole in the center for a rubber plug. and there was a zerk fitting behind it. So they did the job I initially told them to do. I will have them pull the wheels this week.

My question is: is this dust cap with a rubber stopper standard on Cougar 5th wheel trailer axles?

I own a 2018 Cougar 29RES that I bought this past summer. The trailer was only pulled short distances by a private hauler to a local campground for an older couple to spend the summers. They did own a tow vehicle, never travelled or performed any maintenance.

Just trying to avoid any surprises on the road. I've owned four travel trailers and this is my second 5th wheel. I never travelled more than 150 miles from home with any of them. I will be taking it from upstate NY to Leesburg Florida next week; so this is the first big tow I've ever taken with a camper.

Thanks for all the prompt feedback on my first day here. I have been on Corvette Forum since the second week it hit the internet back in 1999. So I knew what to expect on advice and direction, and I'm thankful for the help.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:03 PM   #7
BGBVette

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
That's not really a bearing maintenance job. The practice of using the EZ-lube zerk fitting to pump in and 'top off' the grease is not generally well regarded by a lot of members.

Here is an extreme example from a recent thread of what can happen:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51660&highlight=bearing+maintenan ce

An actual bearing repack will involve removing the wheel and hub, pulling off, cleaning and inspecting the bearings for wear, packing with fresh grease either by hand or with a packing tool, putting in fresh seals and then re-assembling it all. The brake system should also be inspected when the wheel/hub are off.

How old is the trailer that you are wanting a re-pack? To get the best answers, it would help if you create a signature that includes the year/make/model of your trailer as well as your tow vehicle.
Your link wasn't working.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:24 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

You are wise to worry about the wheels, brakes and bearings on a "new to you" going on 5 year trailer. Heading out on a long trip as you are about to do really needs you to KNOW what's in those wheels. It's a 5th wheel so not like a car or pickup....there's a lot of weight there and the wheels/bearings etc. are subjected to forces that a car wheel is not - and trailer tires/wheels/bearings/brakes are not like automobile setups.

What you did has been done by countless folks. I've never had anyone pump grease in a zerk for me but I certainly have. I don't know about your particular trailer but I'm sure it's like the trailers I've owned including this one; dust cap, rubber grommet, zerk inside. Haven't owned a Cougar 5th wheel but my Cougar High Country 319RLS had the same setup.

On a trailer of that age with no maintenance the bearings need to be looked at physically, replaced if necessary and then packed. Make sure your garage knows you want the bearings "looked at and inspected" vs squirt some grease in there and now that they have used the zerks tell them you want the brake shoes, drums etc. inspected for ANY grease intrusion - there shouldn't be ANY inside that drum.

Edit: This trailer has a plastic center cover vs rubber.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:27 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Dust cap with rubber plug is standard on certain brand axles. Some center caps have a removable center to see the zerk.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:34 PM   #10
BGBVette

Sourdough: I will call the garage in the morning. thank you for the advice.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:38 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's the Dexter brochure for the EZ Lube system. There's a diagram showing what is "SUPPOSED" to happen... In the diagram, on the lower right corner of the spindle, you'll see a "spring loaded double lip seal"... That seal, made of rubber, is the ONLY thing protecting your brake assemblies from being contaminated with grease. Does the system work? Some say it's all they use, most "run the other way" when someone even hints about using it.

IT WILL NEVER BE USED ON ANY OF MY TRAILERS, and I have 4 with electric brakes, Dexter axles and EZ Lube spindles.....

Here's the link to that thread about "too much grease in the hub" https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=53622

And the brochure from Dexter:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DEXTER EZ LUBE 1.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	42618   Click image for larger version

Name:	DEXTER EZ LUBE 2.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	42619  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:46 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Something else you need to consider:

I'm NOT trying to overwhelm you or discourage your trip planning, but.....

With a 5 year old trailer, if the tires are the OEM tires, or are more than about 4 or 5 years old (there's a manufacture date molded on the tire sidewall and is depicted with 4 numbers. The first two numbers are the WEEK of manufacture and will be between 01 and 52. The second two numbers are the year of manufacture and will, in your case, be depicted at 17 through the current year, depending on when the tires were manufactured.

Most people will recommend replacing OEM tires at between 3 and 5 years, quite a few people (me included) would recommend replacing them "on the way home from the dealership".... Anyway, if your tires are the original tires, they have most likely "aged out" and won't support the intended load (weight of your fifth wheel).....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:46 PM   #13
BGBVette

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here's the Dexter brochure for the EZ Lube system. There's a diagram showing what is "SUPPOSED" to happen... In the diagram, on the lower right corner of the spindle, you'll see a "spring loaded double lip seal"... That seal, made of rubber, is the ONLY thing protecting your brake assemblies from being contaminated with grease. Does the system work? Some say it's all they use, most "run the other way" when someone even hints about using it.

IT WILL NEVER BE USED ON ANY OF MY TRAILERS, and I have 4 with electric brakes, Dexter axles and EZ Lube spindles.....

Here's the link to that thread about "too much grease in the hub" https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=53622

And the brochure from Dexter:
Wow, Thanks.

That axle in the link is a mess!

I agree on the tires! I've been working the last five years at a shed company and we trailer buildings all the time. Trailer tires are pretty sketchy, even the brand names like Carlisle don't last long.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:48 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBVette View Post
Wow, Thanks.

That axle in the link is a mess!
I have seen it in person more times than I can count.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 05:23 AM   #15
Max23

I for the "1" have had great luck with the ez lube system in different trailers. However, they must be used as designed! The second you hook up a pressurized grease gun you blow out the seals and things go to crap. If used properly with a hand grease gun and due diligence in doing it right, they work great imo. Now, you still need to go in every 2nd or 3rd yr and pull things and hand pack and inspect the bearings. But I don't let someone else do it so I know it's done right.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 07:40 AM   #16
ChuckS

Its really simple regarding the Dexter EZ lube fittings. DON'T.

Also if you read the Dexter Axle Service manual it states right in the section about using the EZ lube feature that THIS DOES NOT PRECLUDE YEARLY REMOVAL OF THE HUB to inspect the bearings, races, brake hardware, etc.

DIY with this task. It is .. IMO on of the most basic of tasks an owner can do themselves right at the house, etc.

This video by Dexter Axle shows them greasing EZ lube bearings and ( they remove the hub ) even though its an EZ lube axle

https://youtu.be/GnH-h3W9XvI

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:14 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
I for the "1" have had great luck with the ez lube system in different trailers. However, they must be used as designed! The second you hook up a pressurized grease gun you blow out the seals and things go to crap. If used properly with a hand grease gun and due diligence in doing it right, they work great imo. Now, you still need to go in every 2nd or 3rd yr and pull things and hand pack and inspect the bearings. But I don't let someone else do it so I know it's done right.
The problem is until you remove the hubs you don't really know if they've worked as designed or not. Unless you've replaced the factory seals with a quality double lipped seal there's absolutely no indicator telling you've pumped just enough or too much filling the brake drums until you've noticed the lack of trailer braking, by then it's too late & to keep increasing the gain on the brake controller won't help.
The 1st time I pulled the drums mine looked very similar to the ones in the link posted. Either the factory or the dealer had pumped them full, 4 new brake assemblies, about 6 cans of brake clean & the drums turned all reimbursed by the manufacturer & that EZ lube will never be used on any trailer I own, I pulled the zerks & put plugs in their place.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 03:34 PM   #18
Max23

It's kinda like everything. What works for one may not work for all. I'm just saying, I have had very good luck with the EZ lube in the past on 4 other trailers. Yes, I do pull and inspect and repack every other year but use the EZ lube on the off years. Doesn't make you wrong or me wrong, just saying, it has worked well for me so if it's done "correctly", it can be a great little way to help you maintain. Also, I would say, a lot of it depends on how many miles you put on a trailer. The trailers I have used it on previously usually don't get over around 2 or 3 K miles a year so, there is that. Your rolling something 5 to 10 K a year, I would agree, take them hubs off and inspect every time. Again, never had an issue but I do it all by hand. No pressurized system.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:28 AM   #19
grampak

Greeting from the cold north. Heres my personal experience with the grease buddy system. Had a 5th wheel and we were going to Arizona for the winter so I thought I better repack the bearnings. 1200 mile trip. I had the zerk to pump the grease into, but as a farmer I knew it was not a good deal. So I repacked 3 of the 4 wheels, always new seals and I was wondering why I did this. Everything looked good including the grease. I thought to myself I wasted my time. On the 4th wheel I happened to catch a reflection on the bearing race that did not look right. Plenty of grease in the bearings and the grease looked fine. Upon looking things of the race was a blue color. RED flag. I got to looking at the bearing and sure enough it had a bad spot. WOW couldnt believe it. They were china tempke bearings. Call my local farm shop and they had them in either china or usa. Needless to say I replaced ALL of the bearings with usa ones. If I would just have pumped some grease into the grease buddy I would have NOTfound this problem. I would have been in the middle of wyoming in jan with a bad axle. Learned my lesson. We have 100's of bearings on the farm and the only way to do it right is to take them off, clean them up and look them over.
grampak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:24 AM   #20
falcondan95705

Why would they pump in grease? Were you losing grease all over the inside of your wheels and brakes. Bearing buddies on a boat trailer yes. On an rv, why,.?
falcondan95705 is offline   Reply With Quote