Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2022, 06:08 AM   #1
toolittletime

Hydraulic cylinder leaking

I posted this on the other forum, but had no response...

I have a 2005 Georgetown 326DS Motorhome that has the bedroom bed slide. While taking things apart, I removed the bed and frame, and found a leak at the end of the hydraulic ram. Cant find a serial # on the ram, and nothing came with the coach.

It is 1 3/4 inch diameter and has a 3/4 inch rod...there is a snap ring on the end which tells me it can be disassembler and rebuilt.

Should I just take it out and take to a hydraulic repair shop?
Looks like a lippert part since it has the lippert serial # on it, but can't find the part # anywhere on the cylinder......any rebuild kits for these??
Call lippert??
Thanks in advance
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221224_140906.2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	42538  
toolittletime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 06:12 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Your best bet is a local hydraulic shop. Lippert will only sell the cylinder not any rebuild parts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 06:16 AM   #3
toolittletime

So....since it has the snap ring at the end, are you guessing it can be rebuilt??
Old 12-26-2022, 06:51 AM   #4
RJS3791RD

Having worked around numerous types of hydraulic based equipment, it has been my experience with hydraulic rams that they all can potentially be rebuilt. It will come down to availability of replacement parts and the cost associated with those replacement parts. In many instances, the cost of the parts plus the labor associated is greater than the host of the new ram. I would suggest that you know how much a new ram will cost in advance of visiting your local shop. You can than make an informed decision.
Old 12-26-2022, 07:02 AM   #5
toolittletime

Thank you all very much for your replies!!
Old 12-26-2022, 07:20 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Here is the link for Lippert's "current product" hydraulic bed slides: https://support.lci1.com/hydraulic-bed-slides

Also on that link, you can download the manuals for either type of bed slide.

I noted that both types use the same hydraulic ram. It is listed as P/N 339031 with this description:
Quick Facts:

Replaces hydraulic cylinder for Lippert slide system
39” length with 24” stroke
Color: Silver/Aluminum
Faster than electric slide-out systems
Helps to decrease time spent setting up your campsite
Hydraulic is a great option for RVs with multiple slide rooms

Listed Lippert store price is $304.95 (plus shipping/handling charges) so the "cost to you" would likely be somewhere around 350-400, depending on how it's shipped and from where it's shipped.

The same Lippert P/N is available on Amazon for $221.49: https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Compo.../dp/B07Z41X2GB

If there is a retainer clip in the end of the ram, it can be disassembled by most any hydraulic shop, but as stated above, getting the repair parts may make repair impossible. On the other hand, the shop "may have the parts on hand in the store".... We live in an area with lots of natural gas pipeline activity (from fracking) and there are two hydraulic service shops that can "rebuild almost anything". When my tractor hydraulics went down, the dealer couldn't get parts from the factory, the "china boats were too slow", both of those shops had all the parts in stock and it was cheaper for them to rebuild my assembly than to buy a remanufactured or new assembly from the dealer.

So, I'd recommend that you find a local hydraulic shop, take the ram out, let them look at it and give you a cost. Then, with the cost of a new one being around $225, depending on parts availability and rebuild charges, you probably will be very close to the price of a new ram from Amazon.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 10:00 AM   #7
Gary R.

I've had the same issue with a couple of leveling jacks on our Alpine.

While I consider myself pretty handy at fixing stuff, I decided to take them to a local hydraulic shop. The folks there had the parts on hand and repaired in two days. The shop has the tools and experience to fix these things, and at a cost less than the price of a new one. A bonus--you don't have to toss the leaking jack into the trash!

Take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 09:01 AM   #8
toolittletime

Thanks to all for the many replies and suggestions. I called Lippert and they say the original part # is 125653......replaced by 339031.

The nearest hydraulic shop is about 40 miles from me, so I think I'll go ahead and order the amazon replacement JRTJH listed above. When time permits I'll drop off the old one for a repair estimate.
You guys are great!!!
Tim
Old 01-07-2023, 04:12 PM   #9
toolittletime

Got the new cylinder from amazon....221.00....took a few hours to install since I had to take the entire mechanism apart. Would have cost a fortune at an rv dealer. Used old fittings into cylinder but replaced o rings with new ones.
Working good now.....no leaks.
Saved the old one for possible rebuild...however the one shop I called in Austin starts repairs at 200.00...so maybe just scrap it.
Thanks to all!!
Old 01-07-2023, 06:41 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolittletime View Post
Got the new cylinder from amazon....221.00....took a few hours to install since I had to take the entire mechanism apart. Would have cost a fortune at an rv dealer. Used old fittings into cylinder but replaced o rings with new ones.
Working good now.....no leaks.
Saved the old one for possible rebuild...however the one shop I called in Austin starts repairs at 200.00...so maybe just scrap it.
Thanks to all!!
The John Deere dealer here starts cylinder rebuilds at $40 and the two "oil field hydraulic shops" start at $50.

About the only thing you'd need to replace on a hydraulic cylinder that is working except for leaking would probably be the O-rings. If you're the "curious and brave" type, why not take it apart, get a $15 O-ring kit from Harbor Freight and "give it a whirl"... Who knows, you may just wind up with a second profession LOL.... Or you may wind up with a "kinda light boat anchor"... But, if you're considering throwing it away, why not see what makes it work and maybe, just maybe learn something that'll keep you from getting stranded in some out of the way campground on some future trip..... Worst that could happen is you spend a few hours taking it apart and then tossing it in the trash.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak