Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2022, 09:38 AM   #1
flyingjack

observation cameras

2022 Montana HC 295; want a rear observation camera for bike rack and oncoming traffic. Researched previous posts and as my HC is prepped for Furrion it appears most any camera will work with an adapter. Found several cameras at nearly half price of Furrion that even state fit in Furrion prepped RVs. Been around the block enough to know the "name brand" doesn't always mean better. I realize, you usually get what you pay for; but, no need to overpay either for similar product.

Any opinions for somebody different than Furrion?

Thanks for any and all info.

Jack
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #2
dutchmensport

There are other good systems available that may surpass the Furrion system.

The "pre-prepping" for the Furrion on your camper, simply means they've run a DC electric line and made attached the connection so all you have to do is plug in a Furrion back-up/observation camera. When you mount the camera, you'll remove the dummy one that's already affixed to your camper. You'll attach the working Furrion back in it's place and attach with screws in the same holes. The Furrion camera is wireless. So, you need the monitor that goes with it.

If you purchase a different system, you can always clip the end of the DC electric wire and ... actually ... just hard wire (twist, connect, use a wire nut, or crimp) the wires for the alternative camera and connect power that way.

However, if you decide to go with a wired system, you'll have to figure out how to run a wire from the camera all the way to the inside of your tow vehicle. The wire has to run from the camera to the monitor directly. That WILL be a challenge and something you may not want to tackle.

So, when looking at those less expensive systems, you really need to be fully aware if they are wired or wireless.

Here's some issues you need to consider if looking at an alternative system.

1). I have read on several forum sites and many posts about people having problems with back-up/observation cameras not working, even after following all the correct procedures. The end result is because there is an incompatability with the wiring systems (voltage or something like that) with the new trucks. Basically, some of the newer trucks just don't put out as much "umph" to the trailer DC electric (lights and such) systems. The backup/observation systems are wired to power off the running lights of your camper. If the newer tow vehicles are designed for the lesser DC 12 Volt electric output, then there is simply NOT enough power to power the back-up camera. There are ways to work around it. But, from what I understand, the Furrion doesn't have this issue. Before purchasing, research this so you won't be disappointed.

2) As I stated above, if you purchase a "wired" system, you'll need to figure out how to run the connecting wire all the way from the camera to the monitor in your truck. BUT, if you go with a wireless system, you may find yourself sadly disappointed because the range of the camera is not long enough to reach the back of the camper to the inside of your tow vehicle.

This was one reason why I hesitated for several years about purchasing a wireless system. It seems when the distance got longer than about 25 feet or so, all the reviews said they failed.

Fast forward a few more years and when my Montana came pre-wired for the Furrion, I started research the "range" of the signal. It turns out, with no obstacles in the way, it has a range of over 300 feet. I watched a couple YouTube videos on this and I was OK taking a risk. When I got mine all set up, I ran the same experiment. I powered the lights on the camper and drove the truck away watching the signal. I was a good 300 feet and the signal was still good.

3) Another thing about wireless systems that shorten the "range" of the signal is the amount of interference between camera and monitor. By interreference, I mean all the obstacles between camera and monitor ... like 41 feet of camper and 24 feet of truck, signal traveling through walls, aluminum, metal, glass, wood, and who knows what else. And not just one wall, but a back wall in the camper, the front cap, and how knows how many wall in-between. All of these things reduce the distance and strength the signal actually travels. I've had no problems with my Furrion with this.

4) I did have a problem with my Furrion on a couple occasions though. It turns out, that if the antenna on the camera has to be pointing straight up orthe signal does not reach the observation monitor. It took a while to figure this simple problem out. The antenna on the monitor is attached with a small set screw, and the antenna can move freely. If the screw is not tight, wind will blow it horizontal instead of vertical, and signal will be lost.

I mention this, because if you are considering an alternative, you want to be sure the signal from the camera (up in the air about 11 feet) can send the signal, not only horizontal, but also downward toward the ground where your monitor is positioned, probably 5 feet off the ground. Anyway, I now keep my antenna positioned pointing slightly forward a little. And I check the set screw often to make sure it's tight.

Well, I've rambled long enough. I do wish you will with your decision. Maybe I gave you some food for thought. Just ... do your research before purchasing something may, even though it has a good price, may end up not REALLY doing what you expect.

Good luck!
Old 12-09-2022, 10:40 AM   #3
Max23

Ya, what he said. LOL. I have a buddy who is about as cheap as they come. He bought a cheapy camera on Amazon for his trailer. It has worked for him flawlessly since install. No, he doesn't have a 40 footer but I think its like 24 ft if I remember correctly. Again, has had no issues. I probably won't go quite as cheap as he did just because I think I want a couple things he didn't get with his but, as for function,,, no issues what so ever.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:53 AM   #4
BubbaShoots

My VisionWorks camera has been flawless. Connected easily to my Furion mount. Came already paired with the monitor. I didn’t need a booster with 30’ TT. Got mine at technorv.com. Excellent customer service.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 01:50 PM   #5
jsb5717

This one continues to be a winner for us.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 02:09 PM   #6
UKLimey

This one works great for us. There are several adapters for the Furrion mount.

Our Website
UKLimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 02:39 PM   #7
Mikendebbie

My OEM Furrion lost signal a lot plus the screen would freeze all the time. Monitor was low res - looked like the world looks when I don’t wear my glasses…very poor.

I bought a $300 (??? Can’t remember) VisionWorks system from TechnoRV. The monitor/picture is GREAT when it connects. Lots of screen freezes and black screens. I called VisionWorks customer service and they sent me (free) an antenna mount on a 24’ coax “extension coax” i mounted on the roof closer to the truck cab…the idea was to shorten the broadcast distance between camera and truck cab. It did not work - in fact reception and screen freeze was worse. I called them again and they are sending me (free) two new more powerful antennas to try…I can’t remember the term he used to describe the new antennas…maybe high gain?? I am hopeful but doubting this will work.

This makes me wonder if there is a system that will work for a 41’ 5th wheel. HD monitor that connects flawlessly while you drive with no black screens or screen freezes.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:20 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
This makes me wonder if there is a system that will work for a 41’ 5th wheel. HD monitor that connects flawlessly while you drive with no black screens or screen freezes.
Yes, there is a system available that works flawlessly, costs less than the Furrion and is readily available from the manufacturer with EXCELLENT customer support and tech support as well as readily available spare/replacement parts:

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...nnect-kit.html

This one comes with a replacement rear view mirror for the truck windshield. Other versions are available with 5" and 7" surface mount/deck mount monitors.

Last time I checked pricing, it was less than $400 MSRP and available on Amazon and EBay for less than $325.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 05:21 AM   #9
dutchmensport

Additional comment: What I don't like about the Furrion, that ... if I knew when I was considering going with the Furrion, I probably would have selected something different.

First, the screen resolution on the monitor appeared to be pretty good when I first installed it. But as time goes on (over 4 years now), it seems the image is getting poorer and poorer.

Second, when the sun shines on the actual camera (rear of the trailer, the camera doesn't show anything).

Third, I also have the 2 side cameras. Although the Furrion monitor will display all the cameras at one time, they all do not stay on screen. In order to get all the cameras displaying, you've got to tap the screen several times. So, if you want to see the rear and both sides at the same time, you can, but the image stays on screen for, like, only 30 seconds and then it flips back to your primary camera. Any one of the 3 cameras can be set as your primary, but it always shuts off the other 2 after about 30 seconds. THIS is very, very annoying. I drive with the driver's side camera on now, more than the rear camera.

Fourth, the side cameras have a better picture quality than the rear camera. I purchased the rear camera about a year before I installed in the side cameras, and maybe the newer side cameras are simply better.

Fifth, all the cameras at night work very well. However, there is this weird streaking that flashes across the monitor screen that looks like bugs flying across, very, very fast. These streaks are kind of freaky, and makes you think you're being followed by some kind of space alien or something. This happens only with it's dark.

What I do like about the Furrion that is kind of cool though, (other than it does work very dependable) ... is the fact it also has sound. If the sound is turned on, you can hear anyone talking at the rear of the camper. This is kind of nice if you have a spotter. I can hear my spotter talking. In addition, I can also hear other "looky-loo's" who are critiquing my backing skills in the distance. Sometimes their comments are pretty funny. Sometimes, pretty cruel. It's interesting what people actually say when they think they are not being heard.

We also turn the sound on and listen to what people have to say when we are in parking lots, gas stations, or pretty much anywhere. It's interesting what people actually say when they don't think anyone can hear what they are saying.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:30 AM   #10
JBM3M

Very pleased with this system, the only time I get any freeze is a lot of shadow/bright....like driving thru tree shadows. Not an issue.

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:56 AM   #11
flyingjack

Thanks for all of the replies; ordered an "actually used & recommended" non-Furrion camera. Starting 2 1/2 month tour of SE US in Jan so we'll get lots of actual use info soon.
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 09:52 AM   #12
larryflew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
On our 3rd rv and started with that brand wired version many years ago. Had this same brand but wireless on our 37 ft Alpine for years so we replaced a non working Furion with this same one on our 39 ft toy hauler. Read the manual as they have give aways with purchase and you just need to email them with what you want.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 05:24 PM   #13
hlh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post

I also have this one and it has worked well.
hlh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 06:39 PM   #14
Reddog222

I bought this same backup camera as mentioned by JSB5717 and UKLimey. . It has a great picture and large monitor. I also received a second camera for free.
Andersen Hitch
Reddog222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 04:51 AM   #15
hlh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog222 View Post
I bought this same backup camera as mentioned by JSB5717 and UKLimey. . It has a great picture and large monitor. I also received a second camera for free.

My only complaint might be that the 7 inch monitor is almost too big.
hlh1 is offline   Reply With Quote