Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2022, 03:52 AM   #1
heikejohn1

E Bike rack. Which one to choose?

Merry Christmas to us!

Just bought ourselves 2 Lectric bikes. Of course we need to put them
somewhere for our next trip. They weigh a little over 70 lbs. each, so quite hefty.

What is the best way to get them from here to there?

We have a 2018 Keystone 28SGS and probably have to get a hitch welded on.

Have been googling all kinds of options, but....... information overload

Thank you for any tips
Old 12-05-2022, 06:23 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by heikejohn1 View Post
Merry Christmas to us!

somewhere for our next trip. They weigh a little over 70 lbs. each, so quite hefty.

Thank you for any tips
i use two 45 gallon Husky wheeled totes from home depot…i keep them inside my fifth wheel during travel.

i also have a Hypermax bike rack rated for ebikes that i used for my beach cruisers. Lectric 3.0 weighs 64 lbs without any accessories ( that’s what i have) …if you have the xp premium it’s around 75lbs, might need a different rack

there are several youtube videos that show how they fit in Husky or Craftsmen totes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2F944A2A-D5CB-4F77-B26D-90AF5B067635.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	42415   Click image for larger version

Name:	8E3D39C5-6327-49F4-A753-F74C6AB0CB6E.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	42416   Click image for larger version

Name:	FAEA79F8-70F3-4141-A472-D1AF70CCB641.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	42417  
Old 12-05-2022, 08:40 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Merry Christmas to us!

Thank you for any tips
Don't be tempted to attach a rack to the flimsy bumper, if you want the new bikes to arrive the same place you do.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:14 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I have the Lectric XP 3.0 the same as Jasin and will be transporting them in the same manner. I thought about the bed of the truck but figured there would be problems, plus DW and I trying to hoist them into/out of the bed with various, serious physical maladies would be an issue. I absolutely won't put anything on a rack behind the trailer - welded to the frame or not. There is too much bounce and wiggle back there and I don't feel it's a safe option IMO. I carried 2 expensive bicycles on a receiver hitch on an SUV for many thousands of miles and my gut was knotted the whole time watching the bounce, jounce, twist etc. - and they weighed nothing like the electric bikes plus I could see them directly which isn't the case with the RV.

On the flip side have a good time with those bikes. We are still waiting to get out on our maiden run as we've been busy with other things but think they will be a blast.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:31 AM   #5
{tpc}

I also have 2 Lectric bikes. I purchased totes from home depot, and I transport them in there. I've done it a multitude of ways.

First I started by folding them up and putting them in the crewcab portion of my truck, while towing or not towing. That does work well if you have the right seat setup, and also provides protection from thieves and/or the elements. The issue is putting the back in if they are dirty, and you don't have time to wipe them down.

Second I transported them in the back of the truck, folded into totes, and strapped in so the totes don't move. I still do this for short trips around town, and my intention was always to get some sort of removable cover, so I could leave them there while towing the trailer. However I never got around to finding a suitable cover, so I have yet to do this.

Last, and this is my current method, I put them folded into the totes and then into the trailer. With the slide in, there is just enough space to fit them both into the aisleway. This hinders access to the fridge, but I am ok with that. It does free up space in the cab and bed though, but I don't have much in either spot normally. I use a anti slip mat underneath them to protect the floor and keep them from moving around. I use a couple bungees to keep each tote connected to each other somewhat, which also helps to limit movement, and I put a moving blanket over the top in case the load shifts side to side.

I don't think I would feel comfortable with them on a hitch mounted design on the back of the trailer, even if it was done right, and even if I could see them. The key to putting them anywhere is to limit their movement, which my current setup does, though any of the methods work for that.

The other thing about them is while they fold up, there are still a lot of little things to get in the way. folded pedals, latch for the bike itself, anything you might have mounted on the handlebars such as a phone holder, horn, water bottle holder, etc. Pretty much my only complaint is that some of it has no "spot" so you figure it out on the fly. I have removed my folding pedals for quick detachable ones, which make it easier to deal with. Plus with no pedals, harder to steal a bike haha.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:47 AM   #6
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I have the Lectric XP 3.0 the same as Jasin and will be transporting them in the same manner. I thought about the bed of the truck but figured there would be problems, plus DW and I trying to hoist them into/out of the bed with various, serious physical maladies would be an issue. I absolutely won't put anything on a rack behind the trailer - welded to the frame or not. There is too much bounce and wiggle back there and I don't feel it's a safe option IMO. I carried 2 expensive bicycles on a receiver hitch on an SUV for many thousands of miles and my gut was knotted the whole time watching the bounce, jounce, twist etc. - and they weighed nothing like the electric bikes plus I could see them directly which isn't the case with the RV.

On the flip side have a good time with those bikes. We are still waiting to get out on our maiden run as we've been busy with other things but think they will be a blast.
The comment that everyone I know that has tried or has these bikes is overwhelming that they "making riding a bike fun again". The can be a bit challenging to load and unload by yourself however.

I suggest changing the bike over to a class 3, but I am not sure if the latest versions allow for that, or maybe they already are. Or at least try both settings and see which you like.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:07 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
The comment that everyone I know that has tried or has these bikes is overwhelming that they "making riding a bike fun again". The can be a bit challenging to load and unload by yourself however.

I suggest changing the bike over to a class 3, but I am not sure if the latest versions allow for that, or maybe they already are. Or at least try both settings and see which you like.

Yes, the XP 3.0 can be set up as a class 3 but we are waiting to see just how "adept" we are at maneuvering in this kind of environment. DW says she sees no need for her to go over 10mph as she just likes to "piddle along". We'll see. We think that these will make it fun again as you mention.

We have 2 new expensive bicycles sitting back home, mine has been ridden to the end of the drive and back, but we don't ride them due to the extensive number of surgeries, replacements etc. I've had done on my knees and the ensuing loss of motion and pain that brings. We're hoping this is the answer.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:35 AM   #8
Mic

I have been thinking about them myself

but what is with all the battery news?

It this an isolated case or cheap chine versions or true to a degree?

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a3982...e-safety-tips/

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/14/u...fficials%20say.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:56 AM   #9
Camp CA

Swagman E-Spec bike rack https://www.swagman.net/collections/bike-racks $449, very sturdy, 2" hitch with a hitch pin that screws in for a very tight and secure hitch fit, lockable arms keeps bikes secured to the rack (does not replace a separate security lock) and approved on the back of a travel trailer, fifth wheel trailer, motorhome, vehicle/truck and flat-towed vehicle.......have used it all these applications.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:50 AM   #10
{tpc}

Sourdough - Yes this will help with the surgerys. The different levels of pedal assist are easy to adjust to your liking and effort, or you can just use the throttle. I think our longest trip was about 35 miles round trip. It was easy. Just need to make sure your batteries are fully charged, and you know the distances the battery will get you on different levels of assist or throttle only.

You do not want to pedal these bikes back without battery. It can be done, but there isn't any fun in it, trust me.

Mic -Anything with a lithium battery, phone, laptop, ebike, toy, etc has potential for these kind of issues. These types of batterys burn hot, fairly fast depending on size, and just have to "burn out" if they catch on fire. You can cover them in sand, but they will still burn, just the sand muffles the flame a bit.

A lot of the inexpensive e-bikes I have seen come with fairly decent quality looking batterys, but what is inside probably isn't as high a quality as they would have you think. And a lot of the bikes are just bought and pieced together. I know I've seen off-brand versions that are almost identical to Lectric ones.

I don't know what the newest ones come with, but ours came with one of the most basic chargers you could find. It works fine, but doesn't give you the best feeling in the world, even when new. But as long as you take care not to overcharge or try to use a "faster" charger, I wouldn't expect an issue. Mine are sitting with a partial charge on them in the basement right now. Just like last year.

The reason the batterys catch on fire is when the chemicals inside them mix. So lets so your removing the battery and you drop it and the corner is dented. Maybe you "fix" the dent, but in doing so you accidently pinch something internally. It starts to leak but you don't realize it until you see your garage in a blaze. You just have to be aware and careful.

I race RC cars that use the same technology. We fast charge batterys and usually never have an issue, but at least once every couple years you hear a "pop" and look in that direction and see a flame about 6 feet tall for about a minute or so.

I recall a friend who flew rc planes tell me a story about a guy flying electric at the flying field. His plane crashed, so he picked up the pieces and put them in his trunk and went back to watch others flying. a few minutes later he turns around to see his car on fire.

Again, it wouldn't stop me from buying one or storing it in the garage or house. But I am aware of the treatment of the batterys, I don't let them sit on the charger, I don't charge them overnight or unattended. I am very careful around them. My RC batterys stay inside a metal ammo case. The case is just to slow down any flame should something bad happen, but it won't completely stop anything.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:29 PM   #11
heikejohn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Swagman E-Spec bike rack https://www.swagman.net/collections/bike-racks $449, very sturdy, 2" hitch with a hitch pin that screws in for a very tight and secure hitch fit, lockable arms keeps bikes secured to the rack (does not replace a separate security lock) and approved on the back of a travel trailer, fifth wheel trailer, motorhome, vehicle/truck and flat-towed vehicle.......have used it all these applications.
I thought that hitch mounted bike racks were a no-go?
Are there different types that are sturdy enough for 70 lb bikes?
Old 12-08-2022, 04:43 PM   #12
Camp CA

I thought that hitch mounted bike racks were a no-go? Not sure what you are referring to........the Swagman E-Spec hitch mounted bike rack https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...man/S94FR.html is suitable for travel trailers, fifth wheel trailers, motorhomes, flat-towed vehicles and trucks and I have had them on all of these........key is a stout rack frame, 2 inch hitch that fits into a 2 inch receiver and a secure hitch pin (E-Spec has a lockable, screw hitch pin for a very secure fit up) and use a hitch stabilizer, if necessary (I use one but not needed). I also monitor the bikes with my rear view camera.

Are there different types that are sturdy enough for 70 lb bikes? Yes but make sure they are warranted by the manufacturer for the weight and service, e.g. travel trailer, fifth wheel trailer, etc.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:34 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I thought that hitch mounted bike racks were a no-go?
Are there different types that are sturdy enough for 70 lb bikes?

JMO. Some folks use a hitch mount to carry most anything. Some say they have had good luck with that and I can't refute. I CAN say I've seen rear tow hitches falling off, attached gear falling off, carriers scraping the ground etc. Those include "approved" hitch mounts.

I've followed "approved" hitches (I assume as they were frame mounted) with bikes etc. attached and watched them bounce up and down, to and fro, for many, many miles - those would be bicycles. I own, and have carried, 2 nice bicycles on a HD receiver with a top notch carrier - they bounce and sway every mile - and the bikes might way 30lbs. They made me very uneasy and I had a straight view of them.

Bike racks and/or a RV receiver rated to carry 150lbs.? They're everywhere. Reality is that physics, the jumping, pounding and flopping of 150lbs. on a 300lb. rated receiver/hitch is just asking for a failure...whenever. Combine that with the fact that when you "push that envelope" and the failure happens BEHIND your trailer and you have no idea....and families that failure may impact? I choose not to do it. JMO/YMMV
Old 12-09-2022, 05:21 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Don't forget the increased potential for theft. A receiver mounted bike rack is only held to the trailer by a single pin. Any "standard pin" can be removed in a matter of seconds and most "key lock pins" can be removed just as quickly if the thief has a hammer available. Just a single "hammer hit to the lock mechanism" is all it takes for most to become a "standard pin"....

Even with the two bikes "locked to the rack with high security cables", the entire assembly is easily removed, even when sitting in traffic at a stop light. There are videos on the internet of generators and storage boxes being removed from a cargo rack while stopped at a red light. Bikes are just as vulnerable.

So, if you do decide to risk the potential for damage or loss from rack or hitch or bumper failure, be sure to use a "high quality, hard to defeat pin lock" to secure the rack to the hitch..... It only takes a thief a couple seconds to remove your bikes, even when you're sitting in the truck, 50' away and watching them on the "OEM rear mount camera".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 02:55 AM   #15
heikejohn1

Thank you all.
As of right now, we still haven't decided which rack to get. We will carry one in the truck and one in the truck-bed for this upcoming trip, putting the decision off for a couple of weeks. Time for some more research.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:38 AM   #16
dutchmensport

Quote:
Thank you all.
.... putting the decision off for a couple of weeks. Time for some more research.
This is a wise decision. I have learned that "time" will reveal the best solution. Making a quick decision or reacting to your first impulse often results in a poor choice that ends up costing a re-do.

Actually using your new E-bikes, moving them around, and transporting them (any way you can for the moment), lifting them, working with them, will ... in time ... reveal what will actually work for you.

Even if you go with hitch mounted carrier, you may find lifting them up off the ground just a couple feet may be too much for your comfort. Maybe they are actually bigger, or smaller than you realize. Transporting them, using them, and working with them will help unearth a solid, viable, and reliable solution for you.

Be patient. Let your personal experience and your personal usage of them reveal what will work best for you.

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2022, 02:39 AM   #17
heikejohn1

After some more research, we might look at a front mounted rack. Did not know that they exist.
Anybody have experience with those?
Old 12-11-2022, 03:33 AM   #18
jasin1

Quote:
After some more research, we might look at a front mounted rack. Did not know that they exist.
Anybody have experience with those?
a front mount rack may be good for traditional bikes IF you don’t have a cover over the bikes to protect from the weather…even traditional bikes are going to block some airflow to your radiator and potentially cause your truck to run hotter.
Your definitely gonna want to cover your ebikes as water is bad for them…they can withstand puddles and light rain….not wind driven sixty mile an hour rain in every crevice….you would definitely block airflow to your radiator.

i’d store them inside the fifth wheel
Old 12-11-2022, 07:32 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

I would concur with jasin1. There are warnings on an e bike about water intrusion into the bike. If you think about it it is nothing more than a big electrical system with batteries and motors along with associated wiring and peripherals - it is not waterproof, just sort of water "resistant" and definitely not a "bicycle". We know that water and electricity don't mix.

I'm looking at a nice Class C with an e bike strapped to the back ladder (I know). Been there for the almost 6 weeks we have and I haven't seen him use it. I asked the owner the other day why he wasn't riding and he said it "didn't work"....worked fine at home in AZ but when they got here it didn't....doesn't know why yet. I will say with the bike folded looks like the battery compartment is open facing the sky...

I'm going to use the totes inside the trailer and figure out how to work with it (my plan at the moment). We don't generally just travel from a to b so we can remove them at the destination, we generally go from a to b, c, d e then stop for a longer period and repeat. Those interim stops will be a challenge but believe we can work around them for the overnight stops (at the moment that's the thought - real life will tell).
Old 12-11-2022, 08:17 AM   #20
jteigen

Quote:
Merry Christmas to us!

Thank you for any tips

We put the bikes on the front of the truck. Safe and secure there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 11.48.45 AM.png
Views:	340
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	42441  
jteigen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, rack