Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2022, 06:33 AM   #1
shorthaul

Unhappy No hot water!!!

Hi all - RV rookies here, posted a few times before and probably will continue to do so until we are "seasoned". Saw a post from 2018 about not getting hot water but it wasn't helpful enough. 2021 Springdale Mini 1760BH. Our owner's manual got left behind at the house so I'm reaching out to you all for advice. Basically, we are at a private campground connected to city water. We have water to all the faucets but no hot water, this is our first "real" outing with "real-world" needs/uses of all the camper systems. Water heater is propane only. We have propane to the cooktop but I don't see/hear or smell any to the WH. As best as I can tell there is water in the heater, we are getting water out of both hot and cold faucets but not heated water. Please advise. Thank you!
shorthaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 06:42 AM   #2
Camping family

Don’t know about your unit but on mine I have to turn the water heater on. Mine runs on electric or propane so I have to also chose which one I want. Once it’s turned on after just a few minutes I have hot water.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 06:44 AM   #3
bsmith0404

First, when in doubt, verify water in the water heater by cracking open the pressure relief.

On your control panel where you turn on the water heater, is the switch illuminated? If it is, it’s gone into DSI fault and shut the gas off to the water heater as a safety precaution after it didn’t light. Turn the switch off for a few seconds and then back on. The switch should illuminate for a few seconds until the heater ignites and then go out. If it stays illuminated repeat the process a few times. Sometimes there’s air in the line that needs to be purged and can take a few cycles to do so.

If I remember correctly, all of the bypass valves and water pump are under the bottom bunk, if you get the water heater working and still no hot water, check the valves to make sure there isn’t a mixer valve that is mixing the hot and cold water together.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 06:54 AM   #4
dutchmensport

A couple things could be going on.

First, your water heater could be in by-pass mode. In other words, there is a valve somewhere that can be flipped to stop water from entering the water heater. This is used for winterizing, to avoid putting RV antifreeze (6 gallons or more) into the water heater when it's not needed. If in by-pass mode, water is bypassed the water heater, but will still come out of the faucet (cold of course). If this is the case, then you really do not have water in the water heater.

To check, go outside, remove the cover on the water heater, and lift the pressure relief valve handle and see if water spits out. If it spits out, you have water in the tank and probably NOT in by-pass. If it does not spit water, you are in by-pass. You need to find that valve or series of valves and flip it (or them).

You could have 1 valve, 2 valves, or 3 valves. You could also have a valve switch in your convenience center (if you have one), that flips from normal run to bypass (specific for the water heater).

Here's 3 photos of systems with single valve, 2 valves, and 3 valves. These are almost always, right at the water heater and accessed from inside the trailer. You will most likely have to unscrew an access panel somewhere (I'm not familiar with your specific trailer).

Single valve:

Two valves:

Three valves:

Regardless of 1, 2, or 3 valves, if your pressure relief valve at the water heater does not spit water when you release it, then flip all of these valves (1, 2, or 3) into their opposite direction. Your water heater should start filling.

Second:

If you are not getting the propane to fire at the water heater and the water heater IS empty, then it's possible the thermostat (inside) the water heater got damaged. Mine did that once when I turned the gas on, didn't realize it was empty, and burned up the internal thermostat.

Another "if". If you do have water, and considering yours is gas only? Is it possible you have to manually light the water heater using a pilot light? Or is it DSI (Electronic spark).

It's also possible, if it's electronic spark, spiders could have built a web, or bugs could be in the water heater orifice. The prevents proper gas and air flow, and the gas will not fire. (YouTube is your friend. Do a YouTube search for "RV water heater problems" and you'll finds a bazillion number of videos how to do things and what to check, without spending money).

Good luck! Locate those valves first. Start there.
Old 10-16-2022, 06:57 AM   #5
jsb5717

bsmith said it but just to emphasize...make sure there is water in the tank BEFORE turning it on. Then follow the steps as outlined.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water