Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2022, 01:25 AM   #1
RickV

Splitting GFCI Circuit

What would be involved (as in how big of a PITA) to split my GFCI circuit? I would like to split the circuit in to two circuits. My bathroom is in the rear of the 5ver and the kitchen is in the front and all of the outlets in both are GFCI. Since it has gotten cooler it's 42 here right now, we have a small space heater in the bathroom. When the DW gets up she goes into the kitchen and turns on the Keurig Mud Maker and if the space heater happens to be cycling pop goes the breaker.
On a different note I can understand the need for a GFCI in the Bathroom and in the Kitchen near the sink but, why is the one in the Kitchen Slideout (no water near it) on it? Sometimes we may need to use the Ninja Air Fryer and let's say the NuWave induction cook top and can only use one at a time because everything other than the Microwave is on the same circuit.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 02:51 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I am guessing that the Romex in your trailer isn’t heavy enough, and it’s part of a safety feature. We use oil filled radiators in our trailer, as far as I know they use less amps.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 04:42 AM   #3
rhagfo

Well might be easier to add a circuit, that is what we did. found some popup outlets and attached to a new GFCI and feed two pop up outlets from it in the kitchen.
We also heat with RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat, and that is on its own 30 amp 240 volt breaker.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 06:13 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

You have to add a circuit to "split a circuit" as you describe. A new breaker and wire from the breaker to the outlet and remove the existing wire to that outlet at it's last connection upstream. I hope that makes sense.

Sometimes it's easier to add a breaker to the panel and add another box and receptical near the panel. Remove the panel cover and pull the panel out a little bit (all power disconnected) and see where you can run a new wire. If there access and sufficient space close by to add an outlet.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 06:20 AM   #5
ChuckS

If you wanna go thru the hassle of dropping coroplast to get access to the quick splices for some of those wall outlets in can be done. some splices will be located down inside a lower cabinet on the floor way at the back..

My floorplan 3010Re is of course different and my slide wall 120 outlets are not GFI protected.. only the bathroom and the island sink outlets are protected via GFCI..

the main kitchen wall outlets are unprotected...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	romex.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	41955  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 02:09 AM   #6
RickV

Thanks for all the replies. I won't be doing any mods until we finish up our time on the road on October 30th. Yesterday while looking at the breakers I noticed two that we don't use, they are for the washer and dryer and the closet for them is in the bathroom so now the space is now hooked up to one of them. I like the idea of the popup outlet and will probably put one on it's on circuit in the Kitchen slide out and leave the GFCI alone. It shouldn't be too hard to run as the breaker panel is less than 10' away from where I want to run power.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gfci