Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2022, 01:14 PM   #1
revrusty

toilet bowl leak?

Just got back from a 3 day trip. Noticed that the water in the toilet bowl would gradually leak down. No leak onto floor. Think it has to do with the rubber seal and the blade or whatever it is called not sealing. Fill the bowl and in a couple of hours it has leaked to empty. Must be a very slow drip.
Is there some lubrication I should be doing? Or do I need to replace the rubber washer/seal that I can see at the bottom? Tried searching for threads but everything I found was about other types of leaks. Thanks for any help!

2021 Ram 3500 megacab w/ cummins 6.7HO, SRW
Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
revrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:04 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

You can try some petroleum jelly but that will only be a bandaid. Depending on brand/model, replacement parts are easy to obtain and install.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:48 PM   #3
fjr vfr

If you can't find the toilet model number just take a picture with your phone before going to the rv parts store. The rubber gasket in the bottom of the bowl usually just wedges into place. Replacing it is easy. The parts guy can show you.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 04:46 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're lucky, it may not be a "bad toilet bowl seal" but rather a dislodged or deformed seal. There is a procedure in both the Thetford and the Dometic toilet owner's manual about how to reseat and reshape the seal if it leaks.

I'd try the reseat and see if that works, just turn the water off to the trailer, put on a glove, step on the toilet pedal to open the ball valve and use your fingers to push the seal up, into the groove better. While there, a little vaseline or silicone plumber's lube might help.

If that doesn't work, then follow the procedure to "remold the gasket" using hot water.

While you may need a replacement gasket, you may just as easily find that there's nothing wrong with the current one except it's no correctly installed.

Worth a try if you haven't already done the above.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:08 PM   #5
revrusty

Thanks for all the advice. I will "fiddle with it and see if it fits better. Don't think it was installed improperly as it has worked from a couple years. Doesn't sound expensive so will get a replacement as well.

2021 Ram 3500 megacab w/ cummins 6.7HO, SRW
Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
revrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:50 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrusty View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I will "fiddle with it and see if it fits better. Don't think it was installed improperly as it has worked from a couple years. Doesn't sound expensive so will get a replacement as well.
Rev, My Dometic 312 has a rubber seal around the opening. Since my trailer sits dry quite a bit, this seal gets dried out. The seal is easily fit; all you need to do is to make sure the toilet is drained, put on rubber gloves and pull the old one out and replace with the new.

https://www.amazon.com/iFJF-Sealand-...73846641&psc=1

You have to have the valve open to do this and I put a heavy book or something on my pedal to keep the valve open. I will say that the first time mine starts seeping water I don't change the seal as it usually will start sealing after there is water in it but after a couple camping trips, time to change. I keep a spare. Youtube is your friend:

2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:03 AM   #7
travelin texans

Coat the seal with plumbers grease when installing & periodically afterwards to keep i5 from drying out. Some use Vaseline but petroleum products on rubber don't mix well, sometimes causing the rubber to turn to goo.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, toilet