Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2022, 10:24 AM   #1
Ultrakodiak

Interior Doors

2020 Montana 3120 RL. Bathroom, Pantry, Bedroom Doors. I have an issue with the outer cover of these doors peeling off. I have just put tape over it for now to prevent it from peeling further. Has anyone had this issue? Any ideas on how to repair this and prevent further damage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D9B711D2-CF9F-40D2-85DD-DEC05474FE78.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	41712  
Ultrakodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:09 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The adhesive has failed, probably from moisture. I have used a damp rag and heat gun on low. Another option is a model paint brush and wood glue.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:39 PM   #3
Ultrakodiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The adhesive has failed, probably from moisture. I have used a damp rag and heat gun on low. Another option is a model paint brush and wood glue.
No moisture. I think what has happened is when the door is being opened and closed people are not using the door knob. They grab the door in the location in the picture and the membrane is peeling off. What I would like to do is put some kind of an adhesive back membrane over the door in that spot on both sides and the end, so when people grab it there it won’t peel off. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-23-2022, 03:07 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

If you are handy, perhaps some self stick vinyl wood look stuff might be the ticket. I have never done this and just making a suggestion so when it works out worse than the stuff Keystone used, I hereby absolve myself from making this dumb suggestion:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/8981712...r_gallery-1-20

The doors in my old Cougar are not covered in whatever stuff like your door is. Mine is solid plastic type stuff and can't peel so maybe a new door might be in order. Size it and look in a mobile home supply for something a tad better quality than the Keystone offering.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 03:22 PM   #5
Ultrakodiak

Not a dumb suggestion. I kind of like the idea. I’m going to check into some sort of peel and stick stuff at our local hardware stores. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:56 PM   #6
travelin texans

Miller LLC*96-in Plastic self stick outside corner trim @ Lowes, $7 for the 96" piece.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:26 AM   #7
Outbackman57

Only the Pope can grant absolution! but great idea. I’ve been looking at pantry doors to replace the accordion between the garage and living space. It might be a little more $ but I’m sure a mobile home supply would have the funky dimensions I need. Thanks!

John Santy
‘06 Kargoroo 28KRS
‘20 F-150 XLT
‘00 FLHRCI
‘21 Royal Enfield Himalayan
Outbackman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 04:21 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackman57 View Post
Only the Pope can grant absolution! but great idea. I’ve been looking at pantry doors to replace the accordion between the garage and living space. It might be a little more $ but I’m sure a mobile home supply would have the funky dimensions I need. Thanks!
If you can find a "similar sized door" in a Keystone RV brochure, and it's a "in production model trailer" any Keystone dealership can order the doors from the manufacturer for much less than the cost of most "RV parts aftermarket dealerships"...

I ordered two doors for my Springdale, about 6 months after we bought it from the dealer. It was in 2010, and the doors only cost about $18 each. They were about 14x24 inch doors. Keystone has a cabinet shop that makes all the doors and cabinets for their trailers and they always build "ahead of schedule" so at the end of the production run, all that stuff goes to the salvage dealers. So, if there's a similar color, shape and size door in a current brochure, you can get it through the dealership cheaper than trying to find a salvage door at Boontrager's or Trekwood.

Shipping charges are minimal or even free with the dealership's orders, since Keystone just puts the items in the next trailer headed to that dealer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 05:27 AM   #9
bsmith0404

Many people have had the same problem with the doors peeling. Keystone started using that stuff back around 2016ish, I’ve seen entire doors peel. A heat gun/hair dryer, or iron can be used to repair it. I’d probably try the iron so you can put some pressure on it. I’ve seen that work. As for putting something over it, there have been a couple suggestions already. Only other thing I could think of would be something like what is used on edges of car doors. Should be able to pick that up at any auto parts store, but you’d have to verify if it will adhere to that surface.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote