Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2022, 03:32 PM   #1
grey ghost

Dish TV assistance

Ok, so I'm not the most technical person on God's green earth for sure, and I'm also not to shy to ask questions so here goes and thanks for your help in advance!

I presently have Dish tv at home and travel with a playmaker antenna and a wally which I pay an extra $5.00 per month for. I would like to have the ability to watch Netflix, Paramount and Amazon Prime. Is this even possible and if so what equipment would I need for this to happen? Presently we can watch tv and get the package channels I get at home plus all the extra channels stated above, just not local channels and I really do NOT want the local channels because that would disrupt what my wife is taping at home on the Hopper. However, every time we don't use the rig for a month or so, I have to call Dish to get a hit so we can watch tv. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 03:55 PM   #2
notanlines

Larry, maybe you should give a little thought to more "Interests
Golf, fishing, Woodworking & Traveling"
and less thought to all this TV watching that the two of you are apparently doing.
Yes, I am sticking my nose into your business (not my first), but TV is way too important to you for being someone who fishes.
For every day of fishing God adds a day to your life. For every TV show you watch he takes away a day. (Well, yes, I did just add in that last part, but it might be true.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 04:19 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

There are folks who don't care a lick about fishing. Me. Streaming television like Hulu, Youtube TV, and Sling you must be able to stream the internet. I do this personally with unlimited data via a Consumer Cellular plan which uses AT&T towers, Look at campgroundreviews.org and check to see which campgrounds have wifi; I have asked them to publish speed test but since I last checked, they haven't but many folks make comments about wifi.

I installed both a cellular booster and a wifi booster with an external antenna for each and have good luck finding campgrounds with wifi where we can stream and have data suitable for the services you asked about. You will NOT stream Netflix since it is only available from a single location but we have Hulu (pay service at home because we get our live channels this way) and tons of free streaming such as Tubi and FreeBee. We had Netflix but found it wasn't worth the cost with so much available from our paid service (Hulu) and the many free ones. Get a Roku box or smart TV and stream. I have an article on wifi and cell boosting systems in the tech section if you are interested in searching.

Last, many streaming pay services won't let you watch live TV as they limit you to your home router's IP address and not the traveling IP you have when not at home.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 12:59 PM   #4
grey ghost

We don't spend that much time watching TV, but the DW like what she likes so to keep piece in the family you do what you must.
We spend most of our time site seeing while camping, or sitting around the campfire roasting marshmallows, hotdogs and the like. Most of our time is spent out driving around and exploring the area we are camped in. I do golf, fish and do lots of woodworking when at home, not so much while traveling. Thanks for your suggestions!
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:18 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Mr. G. Ghost asked for tips on streaming TV and not on the personal habits of those nature lovers who don't watch TV while camping. If you can't help the guy with streaming TV are your personal hobbies on point?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 05:50 PM   #6
G'Ma & Poppie

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Larry, maybe you should give a little thought to more "Interests
Golf, fishing, Woodworking & Traveling"
and less thought to all this TV watching that the two of you are apparently doing.
Yes, I am sticking my nose into your business (not my first), but TV is way too important to you for being someone who fishes.
For every day of fishing God adds a day to your life. For every TV show you watch he takes away a day. (Well, yes, I did just add in that last part, but it might be true.
A forum where senior members are allowed to make derogatory attacks on fellow forum members is NOT a forum in which my wife and I choose to be a member of or even to visit. We will not be on this forum henceforth.

@Grey Ghost - wish you the best in finding a solution for internet streaming that works well for you....
G'Ma & Poppie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish