Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2022, 02:12 PM   #1
MurphyIRE

Insulation for the front bedroom.

Behind the small hanging closet (left side), behind the bed and the nightstand on the right side. With the roof leak, I had to open up the left side. I see old crappy unbated fiberglass insulation. The front is a fiberglass shell with the typical 5er slope & curve.
I'm thinking of using Loctite spray foam (gaps & cracks) on the left side. it's a closed cell and more dense. I'll apply two coats for more R-Value
Behind the bed will be the big challenge. Do I pull the thin veneer off and spray behind or put a thin 1" R-6 Foil Faced Polyiso Foam (slotted/cut on the back to make the curve) over the current plywood and then cover with a 1/8 veneer. Spray over the current veneer and top with new wood veneer?
The right side will get the same foam treatment as the left. A friend suggested Rock Wool for the whole project, but I think the space and angles make that next to impossible. Your thoughts?
MurphyIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 02:18 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Trying to follow what you’re planning, not sure if I fully understand, but I’d be careful with any type of spray foam. The front cap is not going to give, as the foam expands. The only weak spot is the interior walls. As far as I know, all manufacturers use batten insulation behind the front cap. I’m assuming there’s is a reason for that.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:27 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

If you ever need to get to the area where you used spray foam, it would be very difficult as that stuff is impossible to work once you shoot it in. Use some batted fiberglass (I think they now make the same stuff that is not fiberglass) instead of the spray foam.

Pictures would help folks understand specifically what you are doing.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:59 PM   #4
wrvond

I don't think iso is going to do you any good. It's really nothing more than bubble wrap with a higher melting point. There's not enough air gap in there to be as effective at insulating as Styrofoam blocks. The problem with Styrofoam blocks is getting a good fit in the voids and sealing up the gaps. About impossible in your situation.
Seems to me your best best is some kind of fiber insulation that isn't going to settle and compact.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:14 PM   #5
MurphyIRE

The sides are not a problem; there is 4 to 15" of dead space. Everything behind the metal frame is enclosed and wasted space. With the curve and no studs, the batten isn't staying in place. I guess I could stuff the dead space completely and that would keep it in place. Most likely the corner sides (If Stuffed) would go up to a R19 to R30. Currently, the center (behind the bed) is most likely R4or5. The heat and cold come straight through.

The new installation stuff is rock wool or mineral wool. I'm not sure about weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left side of bed room.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	40970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Center bed.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	40971   Click image for larger version

Name:	right side of bedroom.jpg
Views:	54